U.S.-Uechi History

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

JaySal

Post by JaySal »

Hello Rchin:

Reguarding rank. They are not Okinawans, However George Mattson and I also believe Jim Thompson are also both 9th dans. To my understanding, these are the only three 9th dans in the USA.

If I am wrong and their are others, please let us know.

Thanks.
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
rchin

Post by rchin »

Walkman:

I personally havent viewed the tapes of Gushi, but i have heard from many that they are very good and worth getting...

Jay:

Not quite sure if i understand what your saying...I know Mattson Sensei is a 9th dan, I didnt mention sensei mattson because you mentioned him in a earlier post :D , and James Thompson is also a 9th dan...I was just stating earlier that Gushi is the highest Okinawan master teaching here in the US ...
"To be the best you have to train with the best!"
JaySal

Post by JaySal »

Hi Rchin:

As I read you post about Sensei Gushi being the highest ranking Okinawan teaching Uechi in the USA. All I was saying is. There are two other 9th dans in the USA teaching Uechi. Though they are not Okinawan, George & Jim are both 9th dans. That;s all I was saying. There are three 9th dans total.

I do not know of any other 9th dans in Uechi teaching in the USA. If any one does, please , let us all know.

Take care.
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
Walkman

Post by Walkman »

OK, on the topic of 9th dan-
Is there, for lack of a better word, a "Grandmaster" of Uechi? I assume there has to be a least one 10th dan in the world.

I know that there are different organizations within the world of any martial art, so that's a topic for another thread...

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”