Ridiculous mistakes taught in self-defense???

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

chef

Ridiculous mistakes taught in self-defense???

Post by chef »

I saw this ad on line, kind of long but guaranteed instruction, hmmm???

After reading most of the ad, it brought to mind the question, what are common mistakes we teach for self-defense in our dojos and do we sometimes mislead by what we teach or fail to teach?

http://www.close-combat-video.com/oldss.html

I remember this mentioned in Van's Forum, the discussion of false security....that after a couple of years of MA training, many practitioners believe that they are going to be able to go out and kick butt on the streets. What pitfalls should we avoid when teaching our students to realistically defend themselves.

Another point that came to mind in one of Raffi's seminars was the realization that in a knife fight, "you will get cut".

How honest are we with our students, as Raffi was?

Is it a mistake not to teach weapons or should we always rely on our "awesome' empty hands as weapons?

Many ways this could go.

Just some stuff to ponder,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Not teaching awareness is always a big mistake. I also think it's a mistake not to have people memorize Sanford Strong's 4 rules of survival.
The Four Rules are:

1) React Immediately-your best chance to escape violence and minimize injury is in the first seconds.

2) Resist-your only alternative is to submit; both choices are lousy, but resisting gives you the best chance.

3) Crime scene #2-always more isolated than the initial point of contact and always worse for you.

4) Never, never give up-your attitude can keep you alive when you're badly injured.
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

* Teach people simple things that work.

* Teach people principles over specifics, and the myriad ways you can apply those principles. That way they have a fighting chance when their unique self-defense situation comes up.

* Make people aware of the ugly truths in self-defense. The fewer surprises involved, the better. Raffi's mantra "Accept the fact that you will get cut in a knife fight" is a great example. You immunize the person from the horror of it all. My first karate instructor - a crazy but enormously talented and well-schooled Japanese - used to have us visualize a fighting scenario where you knew you were going to die, but you were going to make the BG remember you. Not fearing death or injury goes a long way towards avoiding it.

* I do NOT believe in destroying confidence. A combination of common sense, confidence, and aggression will take you a long way.

* Teach people that if they can't be ruthless, they probably shouldn't be fighting in the first place. Avoid the self-defense scenario whenever possible. Engaging is the biggest mistake most folks make.

These are just a few good rules of thumb off the top of my head.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”