Lawsuits to protect Free Speech against Religious Violence?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Jason Rees
Site Admin

Lawsuits to protect Free Speech against Religious Violence?

Post by Jason Rees »

"Instead, they lobbied for a federal law making it a crime to threaten people exercising reproductive rights and permitting victims to sue for damages."

Does anyone think this would work? The people dispatching these threats against their victims are doing it from overseas. I can't picture a lawsuit of any kind touching some Islamic preacher on the other side of the pond.

Abortion violence was a domestic terrorism issue. This (Islamic intolerance of Free Speech) is an international terrorism issue.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
IJ

Post by IJ »

Of course murderous fanatic thugs with stone age mentalities are going to cease and desist if the federal government says they're not allowed to threaten citizens!

I see three options: cave in, continue as we are, or like the creator of draw muhammed day thought, try to get them used to being offended by having enough of us wear muhammed images or something that the concept of a specific threat evaporates and they're just left with general animosity.
--Ian
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

The "South Park" incident neatly illustrates the benefits. On April 15, following the first of a two-part episode mocking Jesus, Buddha and Muhammad, RevolutionMuslim.com announced that "[w]e have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh." The "warning" included the names, photos and work address of "South Park's" creators, a graphic image of Van Gogh's mutilated body and pictures of other targets of Muslim extremists. Overlaying this was audio of Awlaki preaching about assassinating anyone who defamed the prophet. Panicked, Comedy Central heavily censored the episode.

This rather obvious threat could not be prosecuted. New York Police Department officials explained it did not rise to a crime. Were the FACE Act applicable here, a civil suit would have been available, and precedent suggests it would have been successful.
Nice...at least it is one means of reducing the threats.
I`m hoping the reality is that most Muslims are not offended by such trivial incidents like the South Park episode, my hope is that they (non-extremist) rise up against the extremist that are causing them significantly more grief than any cartoon etc...
How can we give them our support? Very small planet with much bigger issues.
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

CANDANeh wrote:

I`m hoping the reality is that most Muslims are not offended by such trivial incidents like the South Park episode, my hope is that they (non-extremist) rise up against the extremist that are causing them significantly more grief than any cartoon etc...
Good luck on that. Frankly I haven't seen it happen and I don't see it happening.

It's one reason why there's a backlash against Muslims in this country. The silence is deafening. I'm not saying that the backlash is right; it isn't. But it's understandable and predictable. Ultimately moderate Muslims have the power to write their history and create their world image, and they're being drowned out by idiots.
CANDANeh wrote:

Make a BFD about people being intimidated by the threats. Then get on with life - as if the assholes didn't even exist.

Meanwhile... If some writer or entertainer chooses to speak his mind (e.g. Salmon Rusdie), buy, buy, buy his work. Money talks; threats should be made to walk.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

IJ wrote:Of course murderous fanatic thugs with stone age mentalities are going to cease and desist if the federal government says they're not allowed to threaten citizens!
Riiiight. LOL.
I see three options: cave in, continue as we are, or like the creator of draw muhammed day thought, try to get them used to being offended by having enough of us wear muhammed images or something that the concept of a specific threat evaporates and they're just left with general animosity.
Continuing as we are isn't an option, but hey, Social Security isn't getting fixed anytime soon, either. We're like frogs sitting in the water as it's set to boil.

I'm all for over-exposure of every Muslim taboo. They can't sentence the world to death, and maybe if they try, mainstream muslims will finally tell them to stick a sock in it... or better yet, stick their own socks in the extremists' mouths.
Bill Glasheen wrote: It's one reason why there's a backlash against Muslims in this country. The silence is deafening. I'm not saying that the backlash is right; it isn't. But it's understandable and predictable. Ultimately moderate Muslims have the power to write their history and create their world image, and they're being drowned out by idiots.
I was reading an article at FP last week about several mosques in the U.S. and their different outlooks. Even in person, they did not speak up to quiet their brethren when somebody decided to shout out the reporter for violating that particular person's Islamic ooga-booga.

Islamic fatalism and acceptance of Islamic authority before the rule of law have a great deal to do with it. It's ingrained in the religion that Allah determines who is great and who is small, so there's really very little reason to try, buck the system, etc. And criticizing a fellow Muslim is viewed as rude, and sort of a traitorous act. Nobody wants to rock the boat, especially the moderates.
Make a BFD about people being intimidated by the threats. Then get on with life - as if the assholes didn't even exist.

Meanwhile... If some writer or entertainer chooses to speak his mind (e.g. Salmon Rusdie), buy, buy, buy his work. Money talks; threats should be made to walk.
Amen. I've bought one of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's books... Rusdie's quite a bit further down on my reading list, but I will get to it. Eventually.

If the artist formerly known as Molly Norris writes a book, I'll definitely put down the money.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Ultimately moderate Muslims have the power to write their history and create their world image, and they're being drowned out by idiots.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Idiots have everything to lose by being quiet.
The definition of an "idiot" (to me) is a person who is not capable of improving behavior because of the satisfaction they gain from the attention they receive. And they also believe that they are in control of the world around them simply by demonstrating their selfishness. Idiots need forced quiet time ;)
Léo
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Bill Glasheen wrote:
CANDANeh wrote:

Good luck on that. Frankly I haven't seen it happen and I don't see it happening.

It's one reason why there's a backlash against Muslims in this country. The silence is deafening. I'm not saying that the backlash is right; it isn't. But it's understandable and predictable. Ultimately moderate Muslims have the power to write their history and create their world image, and they're being drowned out by idiots.
CANDANeh wrote:

- Bill
Just because the news fails to report fatwas doesn't mean there are not many. And there are many.

Im previous posts, i have posted lists upon lists of major organization s giving condemnation.

Also, the guys who threatened south park were THREE MEN from revolution muslim, a site run by THREE PEOPLE. All three who were banned from new york mosques, because they were harassing other muslims with their craziness.

And yet this spawned what? An entire stupid campagn? Because CNN decided to pick up a story about three retards who got pissed off at south park?

There are people speaking out against ass backward practices all the time. You just have to look for it, because it isn't being picked up. Not enough sensationalism to create the media entertainment news has become.
Last edited by AAAhmed46 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Amen. I've bought one of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's books... Rusdie's quite a bit further down on my reading list, but I will get to it. Eventually.

If the artist formerly known as Molly Norris writes a book, I'll definitely put down the money.
On not calling out on extremists: as i stated before, already done. Plenty of major organizations and mosques issues fatwas against terrorism.

Number 2, why add more fire on to an already blamed group? Whether it's true or not, muslims feel they are already under fire. Many feel they dont have to talk about these issues to the media and only bring the good front because frankly, non-muslims are doing enough to bring up all our dirty laundry.
They could very well be wrong. But this is how they feel right now. Your sean Hannities and Ayaan Hirsi Ali's doesn't help. Hell Irshad manji doesn't help either, though she means well.

On authors:
Rushdie has FAR more legit reasons to complain than Hirsi does. The dutch documentary i posted(remember that?) showed that she continued to correspond with her family, with brother and father long after she went to the netherlands. I think she is simply taking advantage of the political situation. Her description of somalia does not match up with what i have seen from other somalian woman and their experiences.
She talks about walking around with a bodyguard, but so does Daisy Khan and Imam faisal rauf.

Now Rushdie? The man wrote a book, satire. Thats all the satanic versus were, angry satire.

And he was unfairly lampooned by it(though it only really became an issue because of the grand Ayotollah(blah spelling)) The man had to run around and hide, and apologize for imply choosing his own secular mindset.

And now, that he could have taken advantage of this humdrum, he didn't He has remained consistent with his views and critiques. He seems to not stoop to levels other critics.

He and bill Maher agree on many things, but when bill maher talked about the times square bomber, and bill began going on a rant, Rushdie stopped him and said it was a muslim man who was teh first to report it, and the others like the veteran followed suit.

Molly Norris deserves our support as well:
I would also point out, Molly norris backed away from everybody draw muhammed day when she saw the sheer amount of scat/horrible polemic. Long before anyone declared a will to chop off her head. Her original cartoon wasn't even that bad, simply pointed out an oddity. Her view of the day would be tasteful cartoons. When she saw that was not true, she pulled out.
Last edited by AAAhmed46 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

This could be the future of america:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdTEVzz ... r_embedded#!

She is often called to speak in europe, yet it seems american networks seem to ignore her. And she has a pretty good following too.

Yet why so little populairty?

http://www.monaeltahawy.com/
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part I Fatwas

compiled by Sheila Musaji

updated 5/5/2010

Note: In addition to fatwas, numerous Muslim leaders, scholars, and organizations in the United States and other countries have spoken out against terrorism and extremism. You can find further information in the following article collections. We only list a few actual quotes here, but many more can be found in the collections.
- Qur’an & Hadith against extremism (see also power point presentations)
- Part II Statements by Organizations
- Part III Statements and Articles by Individuals (see also power point presentations)
- Muslim Voices Promoting Islamic Non Violent Solutions
- Part IV A Few Quotes against extremism and terrorism A-K, and A Few Quotes against extremism and terrorism L-Z
- Part V The Muslim Majority Who Don’t Get Publicity (see also power point presentation)
- Muslims and Arabs in the U.S. Military
- Selective Hearing of Muslim Voices Against Extremism
- Sunni Shia Unity Resource

FATWAS BY MUSLIM SCHOLARS

20 North American Imams Issue Fatwa Against Terrorists 2010

6,000 Indian Ulama Islamic scholars endorsed a fatwa, called the Hyderabad Declaration, that declares that all forms of terrorism are against the spirit of Islam. 2008

A Common Word Between Us and You, Muslim Scholars Appeal to Christian Scholars for Dialogue and Peace on Eve of Eid 2007

Abdullah, Sh. M. Nur, FCNA (U.S.) minority rights & apostasy 3/06

Abdulkadir, Dr. Deina FCNA (U.S.) Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Abdullah, Shaikh Muhammad Nur (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Afghan clerics issue fatwa against bin Laden 1999

al Abidin, Ali Zain al Jifri Renowned Islamic Scholar (Yemen) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al-Akiti, Shaykh Muhammad Afifi – against killing civilians 6/05 and [2]

Amjad, Moiz – Refutation of bin Laden’s defense of terrorism (Pakistan)

al Alwani, Shaykh Taha Jabir (U.S.) against 9/11 attack 9/01

Al Alwani, Dr. Taha Jabir (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Al Alwani, Shaikhah Zainab (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

al Alwini, Muhammad Head of European Academy of Islamic Culture & Sciences, Brussels (Belgium) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdul-Wahhaab al-‘Aqeel (Saudi Arabia) 2005 “Terrorism is the terror that is caused by those groups or individuals who resort to killing and wreaking havoc and destruction. Terrorism is therefore, according to the contemporary compilers of modern Arabic dictionaries, killing akin to the riotous killing that is mentioned within the texts of Shar’eeah. As the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wassallam) mentioned with regards to the signs of the end of time, the spread of ‘al-Harj’ (riotous killing). The meaning of ‘al-Harj’ is killing and the increase of the spilling blood, which is all from the signs of the end of time. To the extent that the one killing will not know why he is killing and the one that was killed will not know why he/she was killed. Islam is free from this riotous killing, free from this terrorism and free from this kind of corruption. Terrorism is established upon destruction of properties such as factories, farms, places of worship, train stations, airports and the likes; Islam is clearly free from such actions that are based upon corruption and not upon rectification. Terrorists usually say that they are going against the state in which they are based within. This is like the mafia or other criminal organisations that are based on killing people, causing fear and taking their monies. Such criminal organisations have leaders, deputies and individuals that are responsible for establishing regulations for the organisation and individuals responsible for carrying out attacks, and all of them are terrorists causing corruption on the earth. However the ugliest face of terrorism is that which is established in the name of religion, all of the religions from the Prophets (peace be upon them) are free from such terrorism, even if some of the followers of the Prophets participated in such terrorist activities, but the Prophets are free from such corruptions.”

al Awda, Salman ibn Fahad General Supervisor of “Islam Today” Institution (Saudi Arabia) 2/06 Danish cartoons and he denounces al Qaeda and bin Laden 10/07

Al-Awdah, Shaykh Salman (Saudi Arabia) condemns terrorism 5/03

Al Azhari, Muhammad Akhtar Rida Head of Barelwi Ulama (India) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Bouti, Muhammad Saeed Ramadan Department Chair of Theology, University of Damascus (Syria) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Dr Saleh Bin Fouzan Al Fouzan, a member of the Senior Clerics Commission of Saudi Arabia condemned terrorist activities carried out in Pakistan in the name of Islam by Al Qaeda and the Taliban. 7/09

Al Hanooti, Shaikh Muhammad (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

al-Hanooti, Sheikh Muhammad Ali - against 9/11 (U.S.) 9/01 “The people who attacked the WTC and Pentagon and hijacked the forth plane that crashed in Pennsylvania are criminal who deserve the severest punishment as the Quran elaborates. They are murderers and terrorists. If there were any person who felt happy for that incident we would not be able to equate them with those criminals, but we can say no one with faith and ethics would accept anything of that murder and targeting of innocent people.”

al-Hitar, Judge Hamoud (Yemen) he and four other Islamic scholars used Qur’an to challenge Al Qaeda’s views on terror 2/05

Al Husary, Yasmin Mahmud Khalil Head of Husary Islamic Foundation (Egypt) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Jundi, Khalid Renowned Islamic Scholar (Egypt) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Kahlawi, Abla Muhammad Dean of Islamic & Arabic Studies College at Azhar University, Port Said (Egypt) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Khalili, Ahmad bin Hamad General Mufti of the Sultanate of Oman (Oman) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Kubaysi, Ahmad Renowned Islamic spokesperson (Iraq) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Luheidan, Shaikh Saleh Chairman of the Supreme Judicial Council (Saudi Arabia) against 9/11 9/01

Al Mansur, Muhammad bin Muhammad Islamic Scholar of the Zaydi branch(Yemen) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Mazrui, Hamdan Muslim Assistant Undersecretary for Islamic Affairs in Ministry of Endowments (UAE) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Milibari, Abu Bakr Ahmad Secretary General of Ahl al Sunna Association (India) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Mashur, Abu Bakr al Adani bin Ali General Director of Islamic Tarbiya League (Yemen) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al-Munajid, Shaykh Muhammad, against violence

Al Mutawwaa, Jasim Head of Iqra Satellite Channel (Kuwait) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Qadiri, Muhammad Tahir Founder of Minhaj ul Quran International Organization (Pakistan) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Qaradawi, Shaykh Yusuf (Qatar) against 9/11 attack 9/01 “All Muslims ought to be united against all those who terrorize the innocents, and those who permit the killing of non-combatants without a justifiable reason. Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of property as absolute prohibitions until the Day of Judgment. ... [It is] necessary to apprehend the true perpetrators of these crimes, as well as those who aid and abet them through incitement, financing or other support. They must be brought to justice in an impartial court of law and [punished] appropriately. ... [It is] a duty of Muslims to participate in this effort with all possible means.” - Al-Qaradawi, Shaykh Yusuf – condemns Bali attacks 10/02 “Islam not only prohibits attacking non-Muslims who do not launch attacks against Muslims, but it also urges Muslims to treat those non-Muslims with due respect and kindness, especially non-Muslims who live along with Muslims within the Islamic territories. - al Qaradawi, Shaykh Yusuf issues fatwa permitting building of places of worship for non-Muslims in Muslim countries 5/08 - al-Qaradawi, Shaykh Yusuf - against harming places of worship (specifically a Jewish synagogue) 4/02 - - against London bombings 2005 “We were dumbfounded by the grave news of the London bombings which killed tens and wounded hundreds of innocent people who committed no crime. Even at the time of war when state armies battle face to face, it is not permissible to kill women, children, elders, priests, farmers and merchants; people we nowadays call civilians.
al Qarni, A’id Renowned Islamic Scholar (Saudi Arabia) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Qudat, Nuh Ali Salman Renowned scholar of Jordan, former Mufti of the Jordanian Army (Jordan) 2/06 Danish cartoons

al Sabil, Shaykh Muhammad bin ‘Abdallah member of the Council of Senior Religious Scholars (Saudi Arabia) against terrorism, obligation to protect non Muslims 12/01 “Any attack on innocent people is unlawful and contrary to shari’a (Islamic law). ... Muslims must safeguard the lives, honor and property of Christians and Jews. Attacking them contradicts shari’a.”

al Saffar, Hasan Shiite Islamic Spokesperson (Saudi Arabia) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Ayatollah al-Udhma Yousof al-Sanei decreed a fatwa against suicide bombing, declaring it as a “terrorist act”. 2/2007

al-Shaykh, Shaykh Abd al-Aziz bin Abdallah Al Shaykh of Saudi Arabia issues fatwa against suicide terrorist attacks 4/2001 “Firstly: the recent developments in the United States including hijacking planes, terrorizing innocent people and shedding blood, constitute a form of injustice that cannot be tolerated by Islam, which views them as gross crimes and sinful acts. Secondly: any Muslim who is aware of the teachings of his religion and who adheres to the directives of the Holy Qur’an and the sunnah (the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad) will never involve himself in such acts, because they will invoke the anger of God Almighty and lead to harm and corruption on earth.” - fatwa against terrorism 2004 “You must know Islam’s firm position against all these terrible crimes. The world must know that Islam is a religion of peace and mercy and goodness; it is a religion of justice and guidance…Islam has forbidden violence in all its forms. It forbids the hijacking airplanes, ships and other means of transport, and it forbids all acts that undermine the security of the innocent.” - fatwa against London attack 2005 The London attacks, “targeting peaceful people, are not condoned by Islam, and are indeed prohibited by our religion. ... Attributing to Islam acts of individual or collective killings, bombings, destruction of properties and the terrorizing of peaceful people is unfair, because they are alien to the divine religion.” - issues fatwa that denounced terror attacks as un-Islamic and condemned the killing of civilians, saying such attacks have nothing to do with the Muslim religion. 2/2010

Al-Sudeis, Sheikh Abdulrahman – (Saudi Arabia) tells 2 million pilgrims at Hajj that violence is not justified by Islam 1/05

al-Sistani, Grand Ayatollah Ali issues fatwa to Muslims in Western nations, urging them to obey the laws of the countries in which they live. 6/06

Shaykh Salih al-Suhaymi (Saudi Arabia) 2001 “Based upon what has preceded, then we say that that which we believe and hold as our religion concerning what happened to the World Trade Centre in America – and in Allaah lies success – that the terrorist attacks that took place and what occurred of general (mass) killing, then it is not permissible and Islaam does not allow it in any form whatsoever.”

al Suweidan, Tariq Renowned Islamic Spokesperson (Kuwait) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al Tantawi, Shaykh Muhammed Sayyid Imam of al Azhar Mosque (Egypt) against 9/11 attack 9/01 “Attacking innocent people is not courageous, it is stupid and will be punished on the day of judgement. ... It’s not courageous to attack innocent children, women and civilians. It is courageous to protect freedom, it is courageous to defend oneself and not to attack.” - Al-Tantawi, Sheikh Muhammad Syed Condemned suicide bombings against Israeli civilians, and all terrorism 12/01 - condemned Russian school kidnapping 2004 - against London bombings 2005 “Those responsible for London attacks are criminals who do not represent Islam or even truly understand (its message) ... These crimes are not accepted by any religion. It is a barbarism wholly rejected by Islam

Alush Shaykh, Shaykh ‘Abdul ‘Aziz Grand Mufti (Saudi Arabia) against 9/11 attack 9/01

Alush Shaykh, Shaykh ‘Abdul ‘AzizGrand Mufti (Saudi Arabia) against suicide terrorism 5/01

al Zuhayli, Wahba Department Chair of Islamic Jurisprudence, College of Islamic Law, Damascus University (Syria) 2/06 Danish cartoons

AMMAN STATEMENT against Takfir, declaring that there are 8 schools of law - signed by 170 international scholars 2005

Awwa, Muhammad S (Egypt) against 9/11 attack 9/01

Badawi, Jamal FCNA (U.S.) minority rights & apostasy 3/06

Badawi, Dr. Jamal (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Bagby, Dr. Ihsan (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Bakri, Shaykh Omar leader of al Muhajirun (a radical group) (England) against 9/11 ** If Islamists did it—and most likely it is Islamists, because of the nature of what happened—then they have fully misunderstood the teachings of Islam. ... Even the most radical of us have condemned this. I am always considered to be a radical in the Islamic world and even I condemn it. ** 9/01

Bayyoumi, Abdel Mo’tei al Azhar Islamic Research Academy, Cairo (Egypt) against 9/11 attack 9/01 “There is no terrorism or a threat to civilians in jihad [religious struggle].”

Bayyah, Abdullah bin Professor in King Abdalaziz University Jeddah (Mauritania) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Belkaziz, Dr. AbdelaouahedSecretary General of the OIC against 9/11 attack 9/01

Bishri, Tariq (Egypt) against 9/11 attack 9/01

CAIR backs FCNA fatwa against terrorism

CANADA - 120 Canadian Imams issue fatwa against terrorism and extremism 7/05

Mustafa Ceric, Grand Mufti of Bosnia - A Declaration of European Muslims

Council of Supreme Scholars (Saudi Arabia) fatwa against all terrorism, and financing of terrorism 4/2010 declared “any act of terrorism, including providing financial support to terrorists, a crime,” regardless of where it takes place ... the financier of acts of terrorism will be considered a “partner” in the crime.

Deoband (Dar al Uloom) scholars denounce terrorism as against Islam, will circulate statement to all madrassas in India/Pakistan 2/2008

Dr. Ali Asghar Engineer (India) condemns violence against Indian Christians 3/2010

Fadaq, Abdullah Renowned Islamic Spokesperson (Saudi Arabia) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Mohammed Fadel on honor killing 2006

Fadlallah, Muhammad Husayn Renowned Shiite Scholar (Lebanon) 2/06 Danish cartoons - Fadlallah, Muhammad Husayn Renowned Shiite Scholar (Lebanon) against 9/11 9/01 “Beside the fact that they are forbidden by Islam, these acts do not serve those who carried them out but their victims, who will reap the sympathy of the whole world. ... Islamists who live according to the human values of Islam could not commit such crimes.” - Muhammad Hussein Fadlallah grand ayatollah on meaning of Jihad 7/07 - Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah issues fatwa against honor killings 8/2007 - He has spoken specifically against bin Laden He preaches that they were “not compatible with Shariah law,” the Koranic legal code, nor with the Islamic concept of jihad, and that the perpetrators were not martyrs as Mr. bin Laden has claimed, but “merely suicides,” because they killed innocent civilians, and in a distant land, America. In an interview with a Beirut newspaper, Al Safir, Sheik Fadlallah again accused Mr. bin Laden of having ignored Koranic texts. “There is no concept of jihad as aggressive combat,” he said, quoting verses of the Koran that Islamic theologians have argued over for centuries. In misreading these texts, he said, Mr. bin Laden had relied on “personal psychological needs,” including a “tribal urge for revenge.”
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Faqih, Kaya Hajji Abdullah Head of Langitano Academy, Islamic Scholar, East Java(Indonesia) 2/06 Danish cartoons

French Muslim Leaders Rioting, 11/05

Ghannoushi, Rashid President, Nahda Renaissance Movement (Tunisia) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders “Such destruction can only be condemned by any Muslim, however resentful one may be of America’s biased policies supporting occupation in Palestine, as an unacceptable attack on thousands of innocent people having no relation to American policies. Anyone familiar with Islam has no doubt about its rejection of collective punishment, based on the well-known Quranic principle that ‘no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another.’”

Gomah, Dr. Ali, Grand Mufti of Egypt stands by Fatwa that women may lead Islamic nations.

Dr. Ali Gomah, Grand Mufti of Egypt bans female genital mutilation 6/07

Ali Gomaa, grand mufti of Egypt on meaning of Jihad 7/07

Hafeez, Umar bin Muhammad bin Salem bin Dean of Dar al Mustafa Institute, Hadramawt (Yemen) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Hammad, Dr. Nazih (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Hassun, Ahmad Badr al Din General Mufti of the Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Hamada, Faruq Professor of Hadith Studies, Muhammad V University(Morocco) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Hamza, Mustafa bin Professor of Islamic Law, Muhammad I University,(Morocco) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Hijjawi, Saeed AbdalHafizGeneral Mufti of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan(Jordan) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Hindi, Shaikh Yahya (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Huwaydi, Fahmi (Egypt) against 9/11 attack 9/01

Huzami, Haji Muhammad ShafiRenowned Islamic Scholar of Jakarta (Indonesia) 2/06 Danish cartoons

International group of scholars rules female circumcision un-Islamic 11/06

Shaikh Muhammad Yusuf Islahi 2001 “The sudden barbaric attack on innocent citizens living in peace is extremely distressing and deplorable. Every gentle human heart goes out to the victims of this attack and as humans we are ashamed at the barbarism perpetrated by a few people. Islam, which is a religion of peace and tolerance, condemns this act and sees this is as a wounding scar on the face of humanity. I appeal to Muslims to strongly condemn this act, express unity with the victims’ relatives, donate blood, money and do whatever it takes to help the affected people.”

Islamic Commission of Spain, Fatwa against bin Laden 3/05

Islamic Society of North America, ISNA (U.S.) Statement Against Terrorism and Religious Extremism 8/05 This 2 page flier is available as a PDF and is the best short statement available and should be printed out and widely shared.

Izzat, Hiba RaoufLecturer in College of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University (Egypt) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Jackson, Dr. Abdul Hakim (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Jamaat Ahl-e-Sunnah scholars (Pakistan) declared suicide attacks and beheadings as un-Islamic in a unanimous resolution. 5/09

Jumua, AliGrand Mufti of the Arab Republic of Egypt (Egypt) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Kachat, LarbiDirector of Dawah Mosque and Head of the Islamic Cultural Center, Paris (France) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Kashmiri, Anzar ShahHead of Ulama of Deoband (India) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Khalid, Rashid, Maulana Darul Ifta Firangai Mahal (Lucknow, India) attacking houses of worship & terrorism 3/06

Khamene’i, Ayatollah Ali supreme jurist ruler of (Iran) ** “Killing of people, in any place and with any kind of weapons, including atomic bombs, long range missiles, biological or chemical weapons, passenger or war planes, carried out by any organization, country or individuals is condemned. ... It makes no difference whether such massacres happen in Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Qana, Sabra, Shatila, Deir Yassin, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq or in New York and Washington.” ** Islamic Republic News Agency, September 16, 2001,

Khatami, Muhammad President (Iran) at U.N. against 9/11 attack 9/01 “[T]he September 11 terrorist blasts in America can only be the job of a group that have voluntarily severed their own ears and tongues, so that the only language with which they could communicate would be destroying and spreading death.”

Khatami, Muhammad President Iran at Harvard Condemns bin Laden

Khayyat, Haytham (Syria) against 9/11 attack 9/01

Maghraoui, Dr. Mukhtar (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Mardin statement in Turkey declared that the fatwa by 14th century scholar Ibn Taymiyya rules out militant violence and the medieval Muslim division of the world into a “house of Islam” and “house of unbelief” no longer applies. Osama bin Laden has quoted Ibn Taymiyya’s “Mardin fatwa” repeatedly in his calls for Muslims to overthrow the Saudi monarchy and wage jihad against the United States. Referring to that historical document, the weekend conference said: “Anyone who seeks support from this fatwa for killing Muslims or non-Muslims has erred in his interpretation. “It is not for a Muslim individual or a Muslim group to announce and declare war or engage in combative jihad ... on their own.”

Mustafa Mashhur General Guide, Muslim Brotherhood (Egypt) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders

Mehmed, Sultan II, Firman on Bosnian Franciscans - issued in 1463

Mirzayev, Sultan mufti of (Chechnya) declares Jihad on terrorism 8/05

Muhammad, Dr. Akbar (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Sh. Abdul Hakim Murad (Britain) 2001 “Targeting civilians is a negation of every possible school of Sunni Islam. Suicide bombing is so foreign to the Quranic ethos that the Prophet Samson is entirely absent from our scriptures.”

Muslim Council of Britain statement against honor killings 2007

Muslim Women’s League Position Paper on “Honor Killings”

Naples Interfaith Meeting, Communiqué by Muslim Scholars from the Naples Encounter “For a World Without Violence” 2007

Nasr, Seyyed Hossein – Islam and the question of violence

Nigerian Muslim scholars denounce “fatwa” calling for journalists death 2002

Nizami, Mufti Rahman, Ameer Jamaat e Islami (Bangladesh) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders

Nour, Fazil President, PAS Parti Islam Se (Malaysia) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders

Pakistan, 40 scholars issue fatwa against honor killings 2006

Punjabi chief Mufti issues fatwa against terrorism 7/2006

Qabbani, Muhammad Rashid General Mufti of Lebanon (Lebanon) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Qazi Hussain Ahmed Ameer, Jamaat e Islami (Pakistan) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders

Qazwini, Shaikh Hassan (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Rabbani, Shaykh Faraz on kidnapping and terrorism

Maulana Marghubur Rahman, Dar ul-Ulum Deoband madrasa (India) 2/2008 “We condemn all forms of terrorism ... and in this we make no distinction. Terrorism is completely wrong, no matter who engages in it, and no matter what religion he follows or community he belongs to.”

Religions Denounce Terrorism Conference 2003 Turkey

Sabri, Ikrimah Mufti of Jerusalem (Palestine) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Dr. Sayed G. Safavi (Iran) 2001 “The targeting of innocent persons cannot be allowed. Islam is against any form of terrorism, whether it be carried out by an individual, a group or a state. ... For Muslims to kill civilians unconnected with any attack on them is a crime. The principal law of Islam is: don’t attack civilians. This includes civilians of any faith, whether Jewish, Muslim or Christian. According to Islam, all people are the family of God. The target of religion is peace.”

Saudi religious scholars issue fatwa against terrorism 6/04

Sayf, Ahmad NurDirector of Islamic Sciences & Research Institute (UAE) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Al-Tantawi, Shaykh M. Sayyid condemns bin Laden 11/01

Shah, Dr. Zulfiqar Ali (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Shakir, Imam Zaid - Islam and Honor Killings 1/08

Shleibak, Dr. Ahmad (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Shaltoot, Sh. Mahmood (Saudi Arabia) former head of Al Azhar (Egypt) on permissibility of following Shia schools of law 12/02

Sheikh, Dr. Muhammad Adam (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Shinwari, Fazli Hadi Council of Islamic Leaders (Afghanistan) against kidnapping & harming foreigners 5/05

Siddiqi, Dr. Muzammil H (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05 - on jihad and terrorism 7/07

Siddiqi, Dr. Muzammil on partitions between men and women in mosques 1/07

Sultan, Dr. Salah (U.S.) FCNA Fatwa against terrorism 7/05

Tahirul-Qadri head of the Awami Tehrik Party (Pakistan) against 9/11 attack 10/01 “Bombing embassies or destroying non-military installations like the World Trade Center is no jihad. ... “[T]hose who launched the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks not only killed thousands of innocent people in the United States but also put the lives of millions of Muslims across the world at risk. ... Bin Laden is not a prophet that we should put thousands of lives at risk for.” - Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri, 600 page fatwa against terrorism [2], M. Tahir-Ul-Qadri – condemns bin Laden (Pakistan) - condemns all terrorism [4] in a comprehensive 600 page fatwa dealing with every possible attempted justification 2/10

Taskhiri, Muhammad AliSecretary General of the International Assembly for Understanding between the Islamic Sects (Iran) 2/06 Danish cartoons

Taisaruddin Mufti of Darul Ifta Majidia (Varanasi, India) attacking houses of worship & terrorism

Bashir-ud-din, Grand Mufti of Kashmir has denounced killings in name of Islam. 2/2008

U.S. Muslim scholars issue fatwa against terrorism FCNA 7/05

Usmani, Sh.Grand Mufti, Dar ul Uloom (Punjab, India) terrorism 7/06

Yilmaz, Mehmed Nuri Directorate of Religious Afairs (Turkey) against 9/11 attack 9/01 “Any human being, regardless of his ethnic and religious origin, will never think of carrying out such a violent, evil attack. Whatever its purpose is, this action cannot be justified and tolerated.”

Hamza Yusuf “Religious zealots of any creed are defeated people who lash out in desperation, and they often do horrific things. And if these people [who committed murder on September 11] indeed are Arabs, Muslims, they’re obviously very sick people and I can’t even look at it in religious terms. It’s politics, tragic politics. There’s no Islamic justification for any of it. ... You can’t kill innocent people. There’s no Islamic declaration of war against the United States. I think every Muslim country except Afghanistan has an embassy in this country. And in Islam, a country where you have embassies is not considered a belligerent country. In Islam, the only wars that are permitted are between armies and they should engage on battlefields and engage nobly. The Prophet Muhammad said, ``Do not kill women or children or non-combatants and do not kill old people or religious people,’’ and he mentioned priests, nuns and rabbis. And he said, ``Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees and do not poison the wells of your enemies.’’ The Hadith, the sayings of the Prophet, say that no one can punish with fire except the lord of fire. It’s prohibited to burn anyone in Islam as a punishment. No one can grant these attackers any legitimacy. It was evil.” 2001 - Yusuf, Hamza (USA) 2/06 on Danish cartoons - denouncing holocaust denial

Yassin, Shaykh Ahmad Founder, Islamic Resistance Movement HAMAS (Palestine) condemning 9/11 attack 9/01 signed by 46 scholars & leaders

SEE ALSO:

American Muslim Resources - collections of articles and references by topic on many subjects.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part V The Muslim Majority - article collection

Posted Dec 15, 2006 • Permalink • Printer-Friendly Version Bookmark and Share

Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part V The Muslim Majority

updated 10/28/08

Ordinary Muslims Acting for Peace & Justice and contributing to society

A Forgotten Covenant, Charter of Privileges to St. Catherine’s Monastery

Rame Abdeljaber, a Lake County Sheriff correctional officer

Edward Muneer Abdulmumin devotes life to helping California’s disadvantaged youth

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf offers strategies to heal West-Islam rift

Abusida, Dawud Isa a Muslim cab driver dies helping police officer in Arizona

Adams Center Mosque holds Passover Seder

African American Islamic Institute (AAII)

Ahmed, Akbar and Judea Pearl—Two years ago American journalist Daniel Pearl was murdered in Pakistan. His father, Judea, chose to encourage Muslims and Jews all over the world to reach out to one another to build relationships. He models his idea by travelling and speaking with Muslim Akbar Ahmed, another university educator, as a living example of redeeming violent death by treating a root cause—ignorance of one another, not listening, not feeling heard and understood. Judea’s newly established Daniel Pearl Foundation.

Joseph Algazy My Fellow Muslims, We Must Fight Anti-Semitism

al-Hattar, Hamoud, Yemen, A Benevolent Alternative to Osama bin Laden

Alexandria Process Peace Conference in Cairo

Ali, Muhammad greatest boxing champion of all time.

Ali, Syed Muslim hero keeps synagogue from being torched

Al Saud, Prince Sultan ibn Salman ibn ‘Abd al-‘Aziz first Muslim astronaut

American Muslim Coalition, Saint Louis Raises $10,000 for Backstoppers

American Muslims donate for U.S. sniper victims 10/02

American Muslims join interfaith efforts to aid Tsunami victims

American Muslims Pledge $20 million for South Asian quake victims

American Muslims Raise Money to Rebuild Churches Damaged by Violence in the Middle East

American Muslims donate $10 million to aid hurricane Katrina victims

American Muslim Society Social Services of New Jersey

Ansari, Anousheh - first Muslim woman in space

Aossi, Bill first American Muslim Peace Corps volunteer

Arab family takes in Jewish homeless family in Israel 11/07

Asma Society interfaith work

Arar, Maher honored as Canadian newsmaker of the year 2004

Australian Muslims encourage flying Australian flag outside mosques

Shabana Azmi - Indian film star works against injustice

Badshah Khan in Afghanistan - Badshah Khan, Nonviolent Warrior of Islam - Badshah Khan, A Pacifist Uncovered

Bayari, Fadil helps build a synagogue in Fayetville, Arkansas 4/07

Dounia Bouzour - France

Blakey, Art drummer and band leader

Boy Scouts National Islamic Committee on Scouting formed 1982 (series of articles on Muslim Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts)

Bridges TV, American Muslim Television Channel

Benghanmen, Ghofrane, an undergraduate student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York, has been named to the prestigious Glamor Magazine’s list of top ten college women in the United States 2005.

British Imams hit the road to fight terrorism

British Muslim Outreach Program feeds 30,000 needy

Bulgarian Christians & Muslims Protected Jews from Nazis

John Butt Cambridge mullah takes on radicals with radio 12/07

Canadian Muslim Teacher Becomes a Hero in France

Cat Stevens donates some royalties to 9/11 fund

Catholic and Muslim Communities work to create awareness

Center for Global Peace, American University

Chapelle, Dave comedian

Children of Abraham

Christian, Muslim and Jewish Groups Unite for a Blood Drive in Plano, Texas

Christian Rage and Muslim Moderation

Christians and Muslims help organize Hindu community festival

Coalition of Women for Peace

Connecting Cultures multicultural awareness

CAIR Muslims Care: CAIR-AZ Hosts Book, Blood Drive

Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago social & community services

D.C. Imams honored by Mayor

D.C. Muslim patrol quiets crime in Shaw neighborhood 9/07

Edhi, Abdul Sattar Humanitarian to a Nation

El Fadl, Khaled Abou A Brave Muslim Speaks

El Gamal, Mamoud - appointed first U.S. Treasury Dept. Islamic Finance Scholar in Residence

Eltahawy , Mona What We Can Learn From Rwanda’s Muslims

European Muslim leaders scoff at bounty offered by al Qaeda in Iraq for Swedish cartoonist.

Everlast musician

Extraordinary American Muslims

Fastathons - across the country Muslim students fast to raise funds for local food banks -
Tucson, AZ, Miami , Virginia, North Carolina,

Fatah, Muhamad Yassin A Muslim’s Mission to Save Hindu Heritage in India

FILM: Days of Glory adds a Muslim page to WWII history

First American Muslim Film Festival

First mosque built in the U.S. 1929 Ross, North Dakota

First mosque established in U.S. 1915 Biddeford, Maine

First Red Crescent Society establshed in Detroit 1920

First Muslim Girl Scout Troop in Utah

Forgiving better than punishing, Ameen Izzadeen

FREE CLINICS
- Huda free medical clinic in Detroit, MI
- Inner City Muslim Action Network IMAN in Chicago, free clinic and other social services
- Islamic Association of North Texas free medical clinic, Richardson, TX
- Maliheh free medical clinic in Salt Lake City, UT
- MCA, Muslim Community Association Free Medical Clinic in Santa Clara, CA
Muslim Community Center MCC free medical clinic in Silver Springs, MD
- Shifa free medical clinic in San Bernadino, CA
- Shifa free medical clinic in Houston, TX

Friedlander, Shems award winning graphic designer

Gamma Gamma Chi - American Muslim Sorority founded

Ghauri, Yasmeen supermodel

Global Heroes

Habitat for Humanity - Muslims across the U.S. participate in HFH projects Toledo, Chicago, Texas, Washington, Ohio, Maryland, North Carolina, Mississippi, etc.

Hamas Members Mark Christmas in Santa Outfit

Hamas donates $50,000 to Bethlehem’s Christians for Christmas display

Hamdani, Mohammed Salman hero of 9/11

Hamed, Yusuf Muslim Drug Manufacturer, Offers AIDS Drugs at Prices the Poor Can Afford

Hashemi, Shiram hero of 9/11

Hashmi, Jibran British Muslim Soldier Killed in Afghanistan 7/06

Hathout, Dr. Maher wins Los Angeles Human Relations Commission award

Hug a Jew Campaign of Muslim Wakeup

Humanitarian Day - 7th annual HD to aid 25,000 homeless in U.S. 10/07

ICO SummitDefending Islam, Denouncing Muslim Extremists

Extraordinary American Muslims

Gomaa, Shaikh Ali - The influence of a moderate Muslim cleric

Imam and Rabbi send message of tolerance in Texas

Indian Muslims give blood to Mumbai bomb victims

Indianapolis INTERFAITH PROJECT BUILDS HOME FOR NEEDY FAMILY

Indonesian Muslims guard Churches on Christmas

Interfaith Delegation for Peace in the Middle East

International Center for Islam and Pluralism

Iraqi Hero Gets Asylum

Iraqi Muslims Save Baghdad’s Jewish Community Center from looters

Islam and Social Justice

Islam Denounces Terrorism site

Islamic community donates food to Atlanta food bank

Islamic Human Rights Commission

Islamic Reform Relating to Conflict and Peace

Islamic Relief donates food to Detroit food bank,

Jewish-Muslim Peace Walk in Arizona

Jewish-Palestinian Dialogue Group Making Peace in the Living Room

Jews and Muslims Walk for Peace in Pennsylvania

Sylvester Johnson, Philadelphia Police Commissioner is a Muslim

Khalizad, Zalmay U.S. Ambassador to Iraq

Kathrada, Ahmed hero in South Africa’s struggle against apartheid

Kathwari, Farooq President and CEO of Ethan Allen Interiors

Khairullah, Muhammad - Mayor of Prospect Park, New York

Khaled, Amr honored by World Health Organization for anti-smoking work

Khalili, Shiva, Ph.D., an Iranian scholar and clinical therapist at the Iranian Center for Epilepsy in Tehran, took the $2,000 top prize in the first-ever Science & Theology News contest

Khan, Capt. Humayun Muslim Soldier killed in Iraq 6/04

Khan, Fazlur Rahman architect Sears Tower in Chicago

Khan, M.J. wins Houston City Council seat

Kronemer, Alex documentary film maker

Local Muslims Donate Public Garden to the City of Chicago

Mahasa, Zakiya-First American Muslim Woman Judge

Majlis Ash’Shura of Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley has adopted a tough policy of public shunning of Muslims who abuse their spouses or abandon their families.

Mamood, Khalid - Britains second Muslim MP

Mohammedi, Omar T - Appointed to New York Civil Rights Commission html

Momin, Mohamad Abbas Muslim student from UNC dies saving womans life

Moore, Daniel (Abdal-Hayy) poet

Morocco - Moroccan interfaith relations, a model to emulate, Moroccan Jews Mourn Death of King Hassan, Quintet of Jews Runs for Office in Casablanca

Mos Def rapper

Mosque Foundation donates $100,000 for community park in Chicago

Muhammad, Farouq 9/11 Hero Lauded by President Bush

MUSIC - Music Videos: Yeh Hum Naheen (This is not us) Pakistan.
- Loves Sees No Color, No Race, No Religion Nassiri
- Hasan Cihat Örter plays for world peace (Turkey)
- Peace is a hug away, music by Egyptian singer Hakim in Arabic and Hebrew
- Our World Nasheed (song)by Zain Bhikha
- The World Peace song composed by Turkish composer Burak Uckun. Performed by Demet Tuncer & Burak Uckun from Istanbul / Turkey.
- Refuse, Resist, Say No - Rap from Turkey
- This is Islam nasheed
- Whisper of Peace, Dawud Wharmsby Ali
- Peace Train, Yusuf Islam

MUSLIM ART, ARCHITECTURE, MUSIC, POETRY article collection

Muslim AidHumanitarian relief project

Muslim helps Jews attacked on NY Subway 12/07

Muslim Humanitarian Day Serves US Homeless 2006, 7th Annual Humanitarian Day to Serve 25,000 Homeless in U.S. During Ramadan 2007

‘Muslim Live 8’ to raise cash for Darfur in Britain

Muslims Against Hunger Project - Chicago Muslims Against Hunger—A Jihad Against Hunger in Texas

Muslim donates land for Hindu Temple

Muslim-Christian Peace Primer developed by Muslim and Baptist groups

Muslim Peace Fellowship

Muslim Public Service Network Summer Internship Details

Muslim Voices for Peace

Muslim woman (CA) donates kidney to Christian man

Muslims at mosque work overtime to take care of Hindu, Christian fisherfolk in India afte Tsunami

Muslims at NY mosque call police to report possible plot 9/07

Muslims donate 300 turkeys to Chicago needy

Muslim’s tip foils London bomb plot

MuslimWakeup’s Hug a Jew Campaign

Muslim gives kidney to Christian 8/07

Muslims Against Terrorism First Anti-Terrorism NGO in the World for Global Peace and Justice

Muslim American Society In name of faith, Muslims help

Muslims and Jews Unite for Community Service

Muslims Care Campaign promoting volunteerism

Muslims Defend Jewish Community in Iraq

Muslims Help Combat Terrorism

Muslims Help Kashmiri Pandit’s In Reopening Temple After 17 Years

Muslim’s Mission to Save Hindu Heritage

Muslims Unite With Jews to Defend Animal Slaughter Rites

Muslim Volunteers Sought for Women’s Shelter

Muslims who fought against the ‘real’ Fascists

Muslims help Newark homeless as part of Ramadan

Najjar, Laila and Adi Frish of Neve Shalom

Nepali Hindus and Muslims Break Religion Wall

Native Deen Muslim Rappers promote peace in the Middle East

Nevada Muslims Support Jewish Officer’s Right to Skullcap, Beard

Neve Shalom Wahat al-Salaam and [2]

New Ground, Muslims and Jews partner to improve the City of Los Angeles

New Horizon, a private Islamic school, has been awarded the Blue Ribbon, the highest award the U.S. Department of Education bestows to recognize academic excellence. 2005

New Jersey Muslim Girl Fights Poverty

NYC Visitor Finds Safety in Muslim’s Taxi

New York Muslims call police to report suspicious behavior

Nicholas, Ruby Muslim woman chosen ‘funniest mom in America’

Non-violent protests in West Bank 10/07

Not In the Name of Islam anti-Terror ads air in Minnesota

Ohio Muslims To Help Clean Burned Church

Oklahoma Muslims philanthropic efforts praised in House of Representatives

Pakistani Doctors helping uninsured patients in D.C.

Pakistani Intelligence Service helps foil Atlantic bomb plot

Palestine Regiment, Robert Fisk

Parents Circle - Families Forum Inspiring story—In the Middle East, 500 Israeli and Palestinian bereaved households, all of whom have lost an immediate family member in the on-going conflict, choose to reject violence. Instead of seeking revenge, they grieve and build new relationships together. Palestinian Dr. Adel Misk, is the Chairperson of the Palestinian branch. Israeli Boaz Kitain, the Educational Activities Director, has replaced Orthodox Jewish Israeli Yitzhak Frankenthal as General Manager.

Pasha, El Hajji Izak-El Mu’eed New York Police Departments first Muslim Chaplain

Eboo Patel American Muslim Models Interfaith Group on Peace Corps

Priest and Rabbi Refuse to Attend Prayer Breakfast after Muslim Disinvited

Qadri, Cherrefe, first female president of mosque in U.S., 2001 elected by the Islamic Center of Greater Toledo

Qaadri, Shafiq wins Canadian Parliament election

Qureshi, Yasmin, a barrister whose experience includes heading the Criminal Legal Section of the UN Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) and the Department of Judicial Administration in Kosovo is appointed human rights advisor for Mayor of London

Qureshi, Safi recognized as one of the top 25 executives by Computer Reseller News and as Portable Pioneer by PC Laptop Magazine.

RALLY’S & PROTESTS - Muslim organizes rallyagainst terrorism in Phoenix, Arizona,
Lansing, Michigan and around the country - Austin, Texas Muslim Peace March - London rally against extremism 2006 - St. Louis Muslims hold rally denouncing terrorism 8/2007

Rana, Dr. Wahid was honored at the Jewish Community Relations Council luncheon with the Norman A. Stack Community Relations Award for his 25 years of fostering interfaith dialogue between Muslims and Jews.

Ratansi, Yasmin Canada’s first Muslim woman in Parliament

Refusing to Be Enemies

Remembering Albania’s Protection of the Jews During the Holocaust

Sahib, Rasheed - American Muslim Soldier Killed in Iraq 5/03

Saint Louis Muslims raise $10,000 for Backstoppers

Salam, Kausam, an English teacher at Cypress Falls High School, was selected as one of the top educators in the nation in Wal-Mart’s 11th annual Teacher of the Year program.

Schleifer, S. Abdallah journalist. NBC News Cairo Bureau Chief for nine years and NBC News Middle East producer/reporter based in Beirut for five years.

Sherwani, Shabaz Khan Sherwani, owner of the La Quinta Inn on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, opened up the motel — and his heart — to help evacuees from New Orleans and other areas affected by Hurricane Katrina

Siddiqui, M. Osman-first American Muslim to be sworn in on the Qur’an when he became Ambassador of Fiji 1999

Sediqi, Haider a Muslim cab driver returns $350,000 in diamonds lost in his cab in Los Angeles

Siddiqi, Police Officer Muzaffer H. gets ‘top cop’ award for service to Houston Police Department 2005

Syed Soharwardy walks across Canada for Peace 10/08

Tahir-Kehli, Shirin-First American Muslim Woman Ambassador

Toledo, Ohio Muslims turn in 3 terror suspects

Uddin, Baroness - first Muslim woman to enter House of Lords in England

UMMA Clinic in Los Angeles is the first charitable medical institution established by Muslim Americans in the United States. Now in its 10th year, UMMA is the acronym for the University Muslim Medical Association. It was honored by the U.S. House of Representatives

U.S. Muslim Postage Stamp issued

Usman, Azhar comedian

Virginia Muslims expand interfaith giving

Wadud builds interfaith bridges

Wahhaj, Imam Siraj first Muslim to give invocation to U.S. House of Representatives 1991

Wahid, Dr. Adurahman awarded World Peace Prize Award 2003

Webb, Alexander Russel founded first American Muslim periodical in 1880’s

Wolfe, Michael poet, journalist and filmaker

Women in Islam

Wood, Douglas Hopes Rise (and Fall) For Douglas Wood’s Release

Worldwide Forgiveness Alliance

Zakaria, Fareed Editor of Newsweek International

Zillur Raheem, Hassan The Disgrace of Holocaust Denial

ZAM Hope Resource Center in Chicago helps low income immigrant families and holds annual walk against violence.

ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS

ACLU Elects First Arab American to Governing Board http://www.voanews.com/english/American ... -voa43.cfm
Islamic Relief Commits $2 million to Hurricane Katrina relief http://www.irw.org/katrina/
Maher Arar named Canadian Newsmaker of the year 2004 by Time magazine http://www.islamonline.net/English/News ... le01.shtml
More Muslims Gaining Political Ground http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 76_pf.html
Top 100 Most Influential Muslims List Published 1/2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6351057.stm
Twelve British Muslims awarded honors for service to Britain http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/paper/index ... ticle=2813

Academic Honors
- Professor Khaled Abou El Fadl Appointed to Alfi Chair in Islamic Law http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/fe ... lamic_law/
- Mona Eltahawy Names Distinguished Visiting Professor at AUC http://www.aucegypt.edu/resources/smc/r ... haway.html
-Prof. Akbar S. Ahmed Appointed Ibn Khaldun Chair of Islamic Studies http://www.islamfortoday.com/akbar03.htm
-National Endowment for Democracy Honors Four Muslim Women, http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2002/ ... 170039.asp
- Top Academic Award in Jewish Studies Program Awarded to Muslim Student http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/bulletin/2004/mar/26fr.html
- Ghofrane Benghanmen, Young Muslim Scientist Honored by Glamor Magazine as one of 10 top college women in the U.S. http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/2005 ... ed-by.html
- Four Muslim Students Named Top Leaders in Tomorrow 25 International Competition http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/2006 ... aders.html

Arts
-Rumi Is America’s Best Selling Poet, http://www.altmuslim.com/art_comments.p ... 4_0_13_0_C
-America’s First Muslim Museum in Jackson, Mississippi, http://www.altmuslim.com/art_comments.p ... 6_0_13_0_C

Citizenship Awards
- Khalid Qazi wins Buffalo News “Outstanding Citizen Award”, http://www.isna.net/Horizons/article.as ... national=9
- Muslim lawyers group honored by California state bar for civil rights work http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 702686.htm

COMEDY
- Muslim American chosen as “Funniest Mom in America” http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/2006 ... chive.html
- Allah Made Me Funny Muslim comedy show aids Katrina victims

Community Service
-Muslim Police & Firefirefighters Honored for 9/11 Heroism, http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/02020112.htm
-Bill Aossey Honored as First Muslim Peace Corps Volunteer, http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/me ... 09222.html
-D.C. Mayor Honors Two Muslims with Clergy Awards, http://www.islamonline.net/English/News ... le30.shtml
-Saad Eddin Ibrahim Wins Freedom House Award, http://www.ibnkhaldun.org/newsletter/20 ... eport.html
-Kareem Irfan Wins Community Service Award from Department of Justice http://www.isna.net/news/miniheadlines. ... e&artid=29
-YWCA honors Mahnaz Shabbir for Community Service http://www.isna.net/news/miniheadlines. ... &artid=271
- Omar T. Mohammadi Appointed to NY Civil Rights Commission http://www.pakistanlink.com/Community/2 ... 25/06.html
- President lauds Farooq Muhammad, Muslim Firefighter for 9/11 bravery http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/2006 ... orker.html
- Kausam Salam, selected as one of the top educators in the nation in Wal-Mart’s 11th annual Teacher of the Year program http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/2006 ... state.html

Environmental Awards
-Fatuna Hubrekk Receives Goldman Environmental Prize, http://www.isna.net/Horizons/article.as ... national=9

Government Service
- Muslim chaplain appointed to NYPD http://muslimmedianetwork.com/mmn/?p=879 4/07
- Keith Ellison, First Muslim elected to Congress http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/fe ... _congress/
- Maryland’s first Muslim lawmaker takes office http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMXTZE_oBLo
- Saqib Ali - A Muslim Elected to Maryland Legislature http://www.gazette.net/stories/092006/g ... 1951.shtml
-Hassan Ali El-Amin Joins Maryland Court as First Muslim Judge, http://leb.net/pipermail/lexington-net/ ... 02231.html
- Yaphet El Amin Missouri District 57 Representative http://www.landlinemag.com/Legislative_ ... 102706.htm
-Canadian Muslim, Shafiq Qaadri Wins Parliamentary Election, http://www.islamonline.net/English/News ... le04.shtml
- Shirin Tahir-Kheli Appointed 1st American Muslim Ambassador http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ssw/news/mar06/tahir.html
-Khalid Mahmood Becomes Britain’s Second Muslim MP, http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/index/press.php?pr=122
- Mohamed Khairullah Mayor of Prospect Park, New Jersey http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... over_x.htm
-New Zealand’s First Muslim MP Sworn In, http://www.jamiat.org.za/news/winter/aug30a.html
-First Muslim Nominated for Virginia Senate Race, http://www.amperspective.com/html/virginia_senate.html
-Khaled Abou El Fadl appointed to U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, http://www.uscirf.gov/prPages/pr0176.ph ... cdfe3660e4
-America’s First Muslimah Judge, Zakia Mahasa http://www.islamfortoday.com/mahasa.htm
-American Muslim Wins Houston City Council Election, http://www.altmuslim.com/headlines_comm ... 8_0_24_0_C
-Maad Abu-Ghazalah Runs for Congress http://news.ibn.net/newsframe.asp?url=h ... le02.shtml
-First Muslim Elected to Houston’s City Council http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=36156
-Muslim Appointed to NY Human Rights Commission http://www.pakistanlink.com/Community/2 ... 25/06.html
-First Muslim Appointed to Amsterdam’s City Council http://www.islam-online.net/English/New ... le01.shtml
-First Muslim American Ambassador http://www.muslims.org/webnews/messages/90.html
- MahmoudEl Gamal Appointed First Islamic Finance Scholar-in-Residence to the U.S. Treasury Dept. http://www.altmuslim.com/perm.php?id=1239_0_26_0
- Kamal Nawash, Candidate for Virginia State Senate
- Salman Aftab - Muslim Running for Chicago 50th Ward Alderman http://www.salmanforalderman.com/
- Abutaleb, Ahmad- first Muslim elected to Amsterdam’s City Council
- Ali, Saqib elected to Maryland State Legislature
- Dr. Amanullah Khan, named to the newly formed Texas Task Force on Homeland Security
- Imam Talal Eid first Muslim appointed to Commission on International Religious Freedom
- Commissioner Rouhy Shalabi is the first Arab-Muslim appointed by Mayor Richard M. Daley to the Board of Commissioners of the Chicago Commission on Human Relations.
- Bilal, Charles Kountze, Texas, first Muslim mayor in an American city 1991

Interfaith Work
Akbar Ahmed Honored for Interfaith Dialogue Work, http://pakistanlink.com/Community/2003/Dec03/12/11.html
-Dr. Waheed Rana Wins Norman A. Stack Community Relations Award for Work in Interfaith Dialogue, http://www.slu.edu/publications/gc/v7-1 ... otes.shtml
- Faruq Wadud Builds Bridges of Faith and Hope http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/sto ... 3736c.html
- Islamic group awards rabbi for bridging faiths http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longi ... 2702.story
- Aga Khan Receives Tolerance Award from the Evangelical Academy of Tutzing, Germany
- Ahmed, Akbar S. - A Small Step Toward Interfaith Dialogue

Mental Health Award
-Farzana Hamid Honored With Prestigious Mental Health Award http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040428/nyw032_1.html

Military Service
Muslims and Arabs in the U.S. Military - article collection (added 4/3/07)

Nobel Peace Prize
-Complete text of Shirin Ebadi’s Nobel Peace Prize Lecture, delivered in Oslo on December 10, 2003. http://www.muslimwakeup.com/mainarchive/000476.php#more AND
-http://www.muslimwakeup.com/mainarchive/000242.php What Ebadi’s Nobel Means to Progressive Muslims, Omid Safi.
- Nobel Peace Prize for Muhammad Yunus http://usa.mediamonitors.net/content/view/full/36606
- El Baradei, Muhammad won Nobel Peace Prize 2005

NOBEL PRIZE
- in Chemistry, Ahmed Zewail http://www.ias-worldwide.org/profiles/prof96.htm
-http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1999/
- Orhan Pamuk Wins Nobel Prize in Literature http://www.thenewanatolian.com/opinion-16521.html
- Chinese Muslim Nominated for Nobel Prize http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news ... ce_id=2504
- Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech By Naguib Mahfouz http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/fe ... b_mahfouz/

Peace and Human Rights
- Albanian Muslim Family honored for helping Jews http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00969.html
- Cat Stevens wins peace prize in Rome http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/ ... 4876.shtml

Postage Stamp
First Muslim Postage Stamp, http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/1 ... ngled.html

Sydney Peace Prize
Hanan Ashrawi Wins Sydney Peace Prize, http://iviews.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IV0312-2162

UNITED NATIONS - Haya Rashed Al Khalifa , Muslim Woman Is New President of U.N. General Assembly http://www.arf-asia.org/amana/prod/inde ... &Itemid=68
- Al-Khalifa, Haya Rashed of Bahrain - U.N. Assembly’s First Muslim Woman Leader

USAID DIRECTOR FOR M.E. PUBLIC DIPLOMACY Waalid Malouf appointed http://www.isna.net/news/miniheadlines. ... &artid=297

The World Health Organization (WHO) honored amr Khaled, a prominent Muslim preacher with a prestigious award in recognition of his anti-smoking televised campaign. http://islam.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi ... le05.shtml

see also Positive Muslim News at http://muslimpositive.blogspot.com/

American Muslim Resources - collections of articles and references by topic

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/fe ... prostitute/0012322
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

CANDANeh wrote:
Ultimately moderate Muslims have the power to write their history and create their world image, and they're being drowned out by idiots.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Idiots have everything to lose by being quiet.
The definition of an "idiot" (to me) is a person who is not capable of improving behavior because of the satisfaction they gain from the attention they receive. And they also believe that they are in control of the world around them simply by demonstrating their selfishness. Idiots need forced quiet time ;)
Since your canadian ill bring a canadains example.

In 2004 or around that time, do you remember when there was a multi-imam fatwa where nearly every mosque but ten or so signed it?

Or just last year, an Imam created a six hundred page arguement against violence and once again, many signatures backing it up?

It made it BREIFLY on the CBC, but seemed to vanish collectivly from the memories of most people. Everyone but me, who knew that in a year or two, i would once again hear the age old arguement that "why are moderates so silent" when nearly every year there are fatwas, statements and programs working against terrorism.

Your biggest problem now is that western governments are finding it harder and harder to have muslims working for them. And most of your foiled terrorist cells are often done by muslim informants or undercover agents. Mubin Shaik, the man who took down the toronto 17(you HAVE to remember them) writes in his blog about this problem. He talks about how the intellegence organizations like the FBI will bring someone like Geller and Spencer to speak for them and then muslims see that, and view these organizations as hostile toward them. And who can blame them? I was shocked to find out that people as powerful as the feds viewed spencer as a legit soarce.

CSIS basically came out and said that the tornto 17 would have caused great damage if it wasnt for Mubin...who is a DEVOUT muslim, to help them break them apart.

And honestly, next to hinduism, islam is retardedly decentralized. And yet despite thsi fact, nearly every major organization is condeming the craziness. Even the salafi/wahabbi al-azar.

This man here was a moderate, pro western. But was ignored. He even had the backing of the Clerics(most now want to be closer to the west, though they gave up on that long ago. Ahmedinajad made the office of president more powerful)

But he was ignored, so the people realized the moderate wasn't good for the nation since no one listend to himand elected ahmedinijad(yay bad spelling)

Khatami, President Muhammad condemns bin Laden “First, because of the crimes he conducts,” he said, “and second because he conducts them in the name of Islam, the religion which is a harbinger of peace and justice.” Khatami, whose speech in Farsi was relayed through a translator, said he was one of the first world leaders to condemn “the barbarous acts” of Sept. 11. In response to a question about the notion of suicide bombers gaining entry to heaven as reward for their martyrdom, Khatami said, “Those who put others through hell will never go to heaven.” http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006 ... 0731.shtml

There was candle light vigils in iran with ten thousand persians walking the streets on 9/11. There are plenty of moderate, and they try to be heard. THey are either ignored or never picked up. Why do i have to remind people of this? The most theocratic government has the most sympathy for the west durin 9/11? THey people in the vigil far outnumbered those dancing in the street.

This voice is not a minority:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOcWjFhH6L0
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

WHy am i posting so much? Becuase i know im outnumbered so I have put it all out as fast as possible. Before the sheer shitload of rebuttals come in.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

AAAhmed46 wrote:
WHy am i posting so much? Becuase i know im outnumbered so I have put it all out as fast as possible. Before the sheer shitload of rebuttals come in.
Not from me, Adam. You have a chair with your name on it in my living room.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”