Wikileaks isn't a leak it's an unmitigated disaster

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor Smith

Wikileaks isn't a leak it's an unmitigated disaster

Post by Victor Smith »

Somehow I've been of the opinion that the best government isn't one that doesn't lie, it's one that lies so completely it's never caught.

Unfortunately we don't have competent government, and if I understand it was a private that had access to all the leaked information, we have a government for decades that really doesn't know how to control it's own house.

I shudder at what the latest round of leaks will do, which governments will stumble, who will lose their life or freedom from the leaks.

I think what's happening now makes all the other recent stories pale in comparison.......
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Interesting. There's a general order forbidding me even looking at it, off-duty or on.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Well, let's not forget that despite all the hullabaloo the pentagon ended up admitting that no sensitive intelligence sources or methods were disclosed and no Afghans were harmed.

Personally, I'm a fan of wikileaks. There are definitely things I think they shouldn't publish, but I think they've done a good job of redacting what needs to be redacted. Overall, with the mass media too afraid of losing ad revenue or interview opportunities, I'm glad there's an independent outlet for exposing the misdeeds of those in power.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Well, here's a different point of view: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs ... oot/382682
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

An old saying "Loose lips sinks ships
"Image

simple in my opinion
Léo
IJ

Post by IJ »

I think the newsworthiness of the info has to be the primary criterion. I suspect (I was young at the time) people had a bit more respect and confidance in government in world war 2, and now, we like having the press check in on them. If they were breaking news on Abu Ghraib, even if that news would be problematic, we need to know; I haven't heard that the new stuff has been useful in such a way and if it puts any of our people, important contacts, or diplomatic projects at risk then it's hard to support.
--Ian

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”