Lets take a Sunday Drive. . .

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Lets take a Sunday Drive. . .

Post by gmattson »

Hey Fedele. . . hope you are watching. . . Some of the best driving . . . anywhere!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/4kpjghr

be sure to watch full screen
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Re: Lets take a Sunday Drive. . .

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Cool beans! There's nothing quite like dwelling on the edge of control, or lack thereof. I especially loved the drifting in and around the hairpin turns. The lack of either fishtailing or understeer points to this being a mid-engine Porsche. (Am I right?)

This reminds me of my days riding my motorcycle on Route 60 in the mountains of West Virginia - believe it or not, with my girlfriend on the back. It takes borderline intimate teamwork to do that at balls-to-the-wall speed. Not surprising, she became my first female Uechi shodan.

One thing not quite apparent to the inexperienced driver is that this course was mostly uphill. Note the snow on the side of the road only at the end of the race. It makes this kind of racing eminently safer. Doing it downhill is murder on the transmission (if you want any kind of speed).

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

Rear-engine, 2WD, (rear WD) 911 GT3.... mostly uphill (except for a very short bit about 1/3 of the way up) Pike's Peak run... Nearly all of the "drifting" you observed was on the dirt (now bein' a sowthurn boy, yew gotsta know good dirt-track counter-steerin' when ya see it!). He was really fighting the steering-wheel sometimes... BTW, that Porsche will do 65+MPH in 2nd gear, just so's you know.

I had a guy I used to work with who decided to "retire" early (@ ~45) because he had the money he wanted for retirement, house paid for, and royalties coming in from some inventions. He also had hit the "wall street lottery" with some pre-IPO stock he'd taken for some work he'd done on the side... Anyway... He went out and plopped the cash down for a 911 "stock" racer (street legal, but stripped down for weight with light-weight replacement racing parts and some engine tweaks - idunno, but it was still in the "stock" class). For awhile, to get used to it, he'd go around the clover-leaf at Rte2 & I-495 (for those who know the area in Massachusetts); He never got out of 2nd gear and only dropped below 60MPH when there was another car coming! He got pretty good too. Took courses, learned counter-steering, drifting, and sliding the rear out for a 90 or 180 turn. He wanted to do the Peak run. He waited until he bought a second Porsche before tweaking the first one more. He did the Peak run, the Silver State challenge, and lots of weekends at the Pocono road course. Then he met the right woman, got married and became a "Daddy" (a few times!) and... started driving like my grandma... I tried to get him to "permanently lend" me the racer to no avail. He takes it out for "Sunday" drives on rare occasions, but no more racing. :( :cry: such a pity...
NEB

Post by NEB »

Great Stuff!

After going to the Long Beach Grand Prix on Sunday, and being a motorsports fan in general (especially WRC and F1) I loved this video. Its a great look at driving on 2 different surfaces, tarmac and gravel. From cutting straight lines out of curves on the tarmac to opposite-lock around drifts on the gravel, at real fast speeds. I've already forwarded to some friends.

Thanks for posting...maybe one day I'll have the finds to get behind the wheel!
"Well, let's get to the rat killing..."

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”