RNC Debates

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Jason Rees
Site Admin

Re: RNC Debates

Post by Jason Rees »

I wanted to watch the last debate... and couldn't find it anywhere in my cable programming. Really?
Ah, well. I got a partial transcript off of Realclearpolitics.org. Not enough, I think.

I have seen that Cain's 999 plan is finally getting some much-needed scrutiny.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Oh, very nice. I didn't see the site had the debates all available on video.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

A few surprises last night.

Michelle Bachmann got the best of Huntsman of all people in a discussion about Iran. Whatever you say about her, she has a layered understanding of Iran.

Huntsman brought (at the very end) up the very cogent fact that China has its own very real problems, possibly insurmountable, and may take itself out of the picture completely as a national security concern. He's smart. He'd also look (in my opinion) like a dried up husk next to the POTUS, who would blow Huntsman away. The man has no charisma.

Governor Perry was very fortunate not to be dragged into the immigration/Mexico discussion until after others had stopped bringing up the Dream Act. He struggled a bit keeping his response narrow enough not to tick anyone off. POTUS could use Perry's weakness in this area against him.

Ron Paul scares me when it comes to foreign policy. Tonight's debate did not alleviate my concerns.

Santorum wants to base airport screening on religion. This will only rally liberals and strengthen POTUS. I was surprised that no one (including Newt) tackled Wolf on his continued questioning of targeting Muslims. You can't target a religion. At least two of the candidates changed the terminology to something workable.

Newt managed to go the entire debate without anyone piling on him as if he were the frontrunner. In fact, I think Newt's consistent avoidance of attacking other Republicans has started to rub off on the others. With the exception of Ron Paul, every one of them repeatedly turned the focus to POTUS' actions since gaining office.

Romney proved himself competent in this area. How hard is that, considering he's been in campaign mode for 5 years?

Cain managed to get through the night without any major gaffes except calling Wolf 'Blitz.' At least we didn't have to hear about the 9-9-9 plan again.

I think it was a good but pointless night for Bachmann, a strong night for Romney and Gingrich, and Huntsman's time to shine (and in some ways, he did).
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Jason Rees wrote: I think it was a good but pointless night for Bachmann
I wonder...

At this point, instead of thinking about Bachmann as the nominee, imagine instead that she is gunning for the VP slot on the ticket. Mitt especially, but also Newt with his insider background, could really use a way to shore up Tea Party support.
Mike
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jason Rees wrote:
Ron Paul scares me when it comes to foreign policy. Tonight's debate did not alleviate my concerns.
Ron Paul's views are no mystery. He is a libertarian isolationist. While I have mixed feelings about him being at the helm, I am so glad he's in the mix. God knows we don't have the budget to get engaged in more nation building.
Jason Rees wrote: Santorum wants to base airport screening on religion.
It was a stupid response to an even more stupid question by Wolf Blitzer. Santorum is guilty of nothing more than taking the bait.
Jason Rees wrote: I think Newt's consistent avoidance of attacking other Republicans has started to rub off on the others. With the exception of Ron Paul, every one of them repeatedly turned the focus to POTUS' actions since gaining office.
Ronald Reagan's eleventh commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican." The candidates are finally starting to figure this out.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Bill Glasheen wrote:It was a stupid response to an even more stupid question by Wolf Blitzer. Santorum is guilty of nothing more than taking the bait.
- Bill
I don't think the Republicans can afford a candidate who takes the bait, hook, line and sinker. The media will eat them alive.
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Given their numbers, surely both Huntsman and Santorum campaigns are running on fumes by now. My guess is that they'll stick it out for Iowa, and unless by some miracle they finish in the top 3 there, that will be that.
Mike

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”