UECHI RYU IN OHIO!!!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Stevie B

UECHI RYU IN OHIO!!!

Post by Stevie B »

As promised Bill... My Video guy was trying to make me look thinner... :lol: :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmiqW3Co6gc

Appreciate!! :)

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!
Bill Glasheen

Re: UECHI RYU IN OHIO!!!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Stevie!

First... Thanks for posting the video!

Second... Please tell us who is whom amongst the three parties.

- Bill
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Absolutely!! The young man I am checking in Sanchin is Eddie Slagor.. Eddie is only 18 years old and is currently Shodan.. His is a great story because he suffered from Spinal Meningitis as a baby and is only able to hear through the use of hearing implants.. But it never holds him back at all!! :D The second young man performing the Kote Uchi and Seisan to our Bunkai is Will Kucinski.. Will is my top student, a graduate of Kent State and now works as a Technical Writer for a contractor at NASA here in Cleveland.He is currently Ni Dan but both will soon be testing up soon I'm pretty sure... And of course the guy that Eddie couldn't make look a tad bit slimmer in the editing is myself.. :lol: :lol: :lol: We were very honored to be asked to perform in front of several dignitaries from Beijing, China seated behind us, and didn't have a lot of time to prepare, but I'm proud of my boys performance.. It was their first real Demo and I appreciate your interest and graciousness for allowing me to share... These moments are why I love Uechi Ryu so much!!!

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Excellent performance by all Stevie.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Thank You Sensei George :D

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Stevie:

Thanks for identifying the participants.

First... You're clearly a step above your students in ability. Your movement and execution show a deep level of understanding of the material, as well as evidence of training that only an experienced Uechika could have gone through.

Second... Your students are coming along very well.

And finally... Not a bad demonstration for quick notice. But then that's the nice thing about having these bunkai kumite and yakusoku kumite as part of our practice repertoire. We can walk into a room with nothing more than a gi (and maybe some innocent wood...) and impress.

I always wonder about the impression we leave when large amounts of time are spent on Sanchin testing and board breaking. But you weren't over the top with it. Thank you!!! Some people really get carried away to the point that they lose the intent behind the practices. So far so good with you and your students.

What we have is a conservative but brutally to-the-point style with minimal movement, and it's difficult to convey the essence to anyone but the most experienced teachers and martial warriors. I understand the intent of the "karate magic shows." There's a fine balance between the go and the show. I think you did well.

- Bill
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Thank you so much for the kind words Sir!! :D :D :D We will be doing some more things soon on film from a more Controlled Environment (closed Dojo with only us there for filming) But I'm really glad my students were able to experience a less controlled environment as well if only for the mental and emotional training end.. I thank you again Bill Sensei for you allowing us to show what we train so hard to keep alive... Domo Arigato Gozaimashta Bushi Sama :D

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

First time I see this...most excellent and well done all around Steve. The manner in which you conduct the demo goes a long way to promote our beloved style without 'turnoffs'.

My heart-felt congratulations to your wonderful students in their achievements, in life and on the floor.
Last edited by Van Canna on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Thank you Vann Sensei :D !! I feel privileged and honored to be able to show what our style can develop in people... Uechi Ryu Karate Do has been a great gift in my life!! I will do my best to Honor Kanei Sensei's memory and the spirit we have all shared :D

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”