Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Jason Rees
Site Admin

Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink?

Post by Jason Rees »

So Bill, who knew water couldn't solve dehydration? LOL. Thought you might like this.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
TSDguy

Re: Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink?

Post by TSDguy »

First thing I did was look for the Onion logo...
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

TSDguy wrote:First thing I did was look for the Onion logo...
:lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

TSDguy wrote: First thing I did was look for the Onion logo...
Touche!
The Telegraph wrote: Prof Brian Ratcliffe, spokesman for the Nutrition Society, said dehydration was usually caused by a clinical condition and that one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking water.

He said: “The EU is saying that this does not reduce the risk of dehydration and that is correct.
There is your chief idiot. Insane? There's likely a cause related to his madness.
The Telegraph wrote: “This claim is trying to imply that there is something special about bottled water which is not a reasonable claim.”
No it's not. The claim is "drinking water prevents dehydration", and that simple claim is correct.

What I *CAN* however guess is that you're a global warm... excuse me, "climate change" activist who is against bottled water because you think drinking it instead of tap water increases our carbon footprint. I personally know such people. And you probably are (inappropriately) using your position of power to attack the bottled water industry.

That's all well and good, except it's never wise to be an idiot. (Forrest Gump rule #27) Or in the words of Abraham Lincoln, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
The Telegraph wrote: EU regulations, which aim to uphold food standards across member states, are frequently criticised.

Rules banning bent bananas and curved cucumbers were scrapped in 2008 after causing international ridicule.

Umm... Is it my filthy mind, or is anyone else wondering what the hell the Europeans are doing with their bananas and cucumbers?

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Bill Glasheen wrote:What I *CAN* however guess is that you're a global warm... excuse me, "climate change" activist who is against bottled water because you think drinking it instead of tap water increases our carbon footprint. I personally know such people. And you probably are (inappropriately) using your position of power to attack the bottled water industry.
I hadn't thought of that angle yet. Nice.
Umm... Is it my filthy mind, or is anyone else wondering what the hell the Europeans are doing with their bananas and cucumbers?

- Bill
You were not alone. LOL.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Bill Glasheen wrote: What I *CAN* however guess is that you're a global warm... excuse me, "climate change" activist who is against bottled water because you think drinking it instead of tap water increases our carbon footprint. I personally know such people. And you probably are (inappropriately) using your position of power to attack the bottled water industry.
I'm pretty appalled by the bottled water fad in the US, but less because of the carbon footprint and more because it's just incredibly wasteful and trash-producing. The amount of plastic bottles made, consumed and tossed into landfills (or that texas-sized floating garbage island in the pacific) is pretty pathetic given that we have perfectly good water coming out the tap. In fact, half the time what you're getting in your bottle is just expensive tap water anyway. Suckering gullible people with that whole "our water is soooooo pure" doesn't improve my opinion of the bottled water industry.

But I'm not about to argue that water isn't wet just because I don't think people should make a habit of buying small plastic water bottles all the time.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I wanted to thank you for this thoughtful post, Justin.

I have mixed feelings about it all.

If all we're talking about is water, well it certainly makes sense not to waste precious resources on that which is just as healthy, much cheaper, and every bit as quenching when coming from the tap. Beer is certainly desirable from the tap; why not water? 8) Yes, there's that damn chlorine taste. But a simple filter can help.

On the other hand... I'm looking at the growth in the incidence of Type II diabetes in this country. One major contributor to this epidemic is the consumption of sugary drinks. If it's bottled water over bottled Coke, well... I think I can deal with the cost of shipping and the issues of water containers. If we recycle, then the landfill issue is moot.

Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”