Old Style vs New Style: looking to reacquaint with the old

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

willh44

Old Style vs New Style: looking to reacquaint with the old

Post by willh44 »

Hi,
A month or two ago I decided to seriously reacquaint myself with Uechi-Ryu. I studied 39 - 40 years ago when I was 14 - 15 years old in a school that had just opened in Newton Corner Ma.. I studies under Jr. instructor Kenny Schiff and the Sr. instructor was either Bob Campbell or Bob Moorman. The instruction was serious, difficult, structured. I loved it. Working hard three and four times a week for two or three hours a night I earned a green belt in a year or so. Unfortunately the school closed soon after.

Doing research to reacquaint myself with Uechi-Ryu, I see methods of training have changed i.e. old style vs new style. I think my original training was in the old style. I found a school close by to where I now live and went to watch the class. I have to say that I was disappointed with what I saw. Schools have to make money, I understand but if what I saw was the new style of instruction it is sorely lacking. There seemed to be no cohesion in the instruction. There was horse play in the dojo, the students were asked what they wanted to do and the quality of the kata's, kumite's and such was just poor.
I am by no means an expert but I get the feeling that earning rank in the new style is more important than learning quality.

I live in Shrewsbury, Ma., does anybody know if there are any Uechi-Ryu schools in the area that focus on the old style of teaching. Please, I really want to restart my instruction in Uechi-Ryu but not in the new style.

Thank You,
Willh44
Josann

Re: Old Style vs New Style: looking to reacquaint with the o

Post by Josann »

http://karateandkobudo.com/

Check out Joe Graziano's dojo in Milford. Student of Shinyu Gushi and Walter Mattson. By far your best bet given what you are looking for.
willh44

Re: Old Style vs New Style: looking to reacquaint with the o

Post by willh44 »

Hi Josann,

Thank You for the reply. I'm going to check-out a DoJo closer to home tomorrow. However, if I do not like what I see I will certainly check-out your suggestion next.

Again, Thank You

Will

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”