Getting Reacquainted with Uechi-Ryu

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

willh44

Getting Reacquainted with Uechi-Ryu

Post by willh44 »

39 40 years ago I was 14, 15 years old. A new karate school, Uechi-Ryu, opened up in Newton Corner Ma.. I was there for the first class and over the next year I worked hard and earned my green belt. There where two black belts instructing us. The head instructor was a real tall man in his late twenties and his name was Bob. The other instructor was a younger guy not so tall, in his late teens, early twenties, and was named Ken. They worked us hard and I left the dojo knowing I had had a good work out. I loved it. I went 3 and 4 times a week walking the 3 miles or so or hitchhiking to get there. Unfortunately the school closed soon after I had earned my green belt and the closest school was 30 or 40 miles away. When I could finally get myself to the other school the darker side of teenage life had hold of me and I was off and running. However, there was always that little spark that said someday I'll get back and I think it was due to the instruction I had gotten from Bob and Ken. Recently I found a school close by and I'm going to see about reacquainting myself with Uechi-Ryu. I would like to know who those instructors, Bob and Ken, were and if they are still teaching? I think that I would like to thank them!
JaySal

Re: Getting Reacquainted with Uechi-Ryu

Post by JaySal »

Hello Willh44.

Do you happen to mean perhaps, Bob Campbell and Ken Schiff ? Both taught at Sensei George Mattson's dojo in Newton at that time period?

Take care,
Jay Sal.
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
willh44

Post by willh44 »

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your reply. To be honest, It was long ago. What I remember was that there was quite a contrast between Bob and Kenny: Bob was a very tall man and gregarious: Kenny was personable, younger and not so tall. Bob was married and his wife was also short, a bit plump and had a wonderful smile. I think, also, she ran the business end of the dojo. All three were just super nice people and made a somewhat shy young teenager very comfortable and welcome. I actually helped them get lockers for the dojo from the old Newton North High. I always wondered why the schools closed. As part of the first green belt class, we worked out in a smaller room but when our workout was done we would have to walk through the main dojo and there always seemed to be a large class of white belts working out? I guess I'm just being curious.
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

The teachers were Bob Moorman and Ken Shiff.

Bob moved to California where he ran a dojo for a short time. He died a few years ago during a trip to the desert. His car hit a rock and punctured the car's radiator. Bob died after being stranded there and when his drinking water ran out.

Ken opened a dojo on the south shore of Mass and still teaches there.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
JaySal

Post by JaySal »

Hi Will.

Glad that Sensei Mattson was able to provide the correct information. I was 1/2 right anyway, with one instructor being Kenny Schiff.

George - Thank you for the correct information. Sorry to hear that Bob passed away, I did not know any of that.

Take care,
Jay
Jay Sal
Semper Fi
willh44

Post by willh44 »

Hi Jay,
Again, thank you and Sensei Mattson for the information. I am certainly saddened to hear of Bob Moorman's death.He was an incredible instructor and I remember him as being a really good guy. Though I hadn't seen Bob in all these years I think I had hoped to one day run into him again just to say thanks. So I will say it here " Thanks Bob for the teaching that has stuck with me all these years."

Will
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

George

That is such a sad story. Just when you think the struggles of Death Valley Days are fodder for B-rate Hollywood reruns, you realize that our open country still is a bit untame. May he rest in peace.

Will

Welcome, and thanks for posting! Come back and tell us how your practice is going.

Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”