Canadian Conservative vs Liberal...A true political fight

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

CANDANeh

Canadian Conservative vs Liberal...A true political fight

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_HZ3exr ... re=related

Justin`s father, long-serving Liberal prime minister Pierre Trudeau, ensured his son had some boxing lessons. But his 37-year-old opponent is three years his junior, has a black belt in karate and served in the Canadian Forces.

Those stats made Brazeau a three-to-one favourite at online betting site Bodog.com.

The fighters' trash-talking skills may be honed from their political fights, but with the gloves on, those rhetorical skills are of little use. My bets are that Justin will eventually become Prime Minister when those pretty curls get silvery ;)

The fight used Olympic rules. Each fighter outfitted with headgear, a mouth guard and 10-ounce gloves.
All proceeds went to cancer research.
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Re: Canadian Conservative vs Liberal...A true political figh

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Well that was entertaining! 8)

Given the physiques and the credentials, I was at first concerned that Brazeau was going to dismember the awkward boxer. However... somebody forgot to teach Brazeau how to fight! :-D

Thanks for posting this. And one day I'm sure we'll see the young Trudeau following his father into politics.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Any chance this was a staged exhibition to make Trudeau look good? Or am I just being over suspicious because the set up sounds like the plot of most MA/boxing tournament movies?!
Glenn
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Glenn wrote:Any chance this was a staged exhibition to make Trudeau look good? Or am I just being over suspicious because the set up sounds like the plot of most MA/boxing tournament movies?!
Not staged and his "pretty boy" looks are deceiving. Love them or hate them the Trudeau`s are a tough crafty lot. Brazeau drained himself with expectations that Justin could not take a punch, Justin used the boxing skills he has to wait for advantage. Trudeau (a liberal member of parliament) put a challenge out to many other conservatives before he found a taker, there is a lot of his father in him :wink: Personally, I think they both came out winners in this charity event. Heck maybe if Justin becomes Prime Minister he will challenge Barack Obama 8)
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

CANDANeh wrote: Not staged and his "pretty boy" looks are deceiving. Love them or hate them the Trudeau`s are a tough crafty lot. Brazeau drained himself with expectations that Justin could not take a punch, Justin used the boxing skills he has to wait for advantage.
I have to agree with this assessment.

Justin used his crane-like physique and cover-the-head Seisan posture to drain Brazeau until he could no longer perform. After the first round Brazeau could no longer throw a punch, and yet inexplicably stayed just inside Justin's range but just outside his own. Dumb, dumb, dumb! From that point on Justin made him his beach. While none of his punches were going to put Brazeau in the hospital, the barrage towards the end was sufficient to get the fight stopped.
CANDANeh wrote: Heck maybe if Justin becomes Prime Minister he will challenge Barack Obama 8)
I would make a generous donation to charity (a.k.a. pay) to see that. :)

- Bill
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

MMA has taught us a few truths. Whatever the rules are, you win if they're your rules (e.g. boxing will beat anything under boxing rules.)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

TSDguy wrote: MMA has taught us a few truths. Whatever the rules are, you win if they're your rules (e.g. boxing will beat anything under boxing rules.)
It's not clear that Brazeau - the "karate guy" - knew how to grapple. If he did and Trudeau didn't and grappling was allowed (and that's three "ifs") then it would have been much different.

In one of the first ever full contact championship matches where Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace won their first crowns, there was a demo fight of a boxer against a "karate guy." They allowed the karate guy to do all the kicking he wanted. While he got in a few roundhouse kick head shots, he ultimately was decked like a sack of flour. We must remember that boxers regularly take hits to the body and head. People who do traditional karate training usually aren't in the ring taking head shots. Forget the style for just a minute... Learning to fight while being hit is an acquired skill. If you haven't done it, then don't expect to do well when walking into a full contact ring.

Boxers are legit. The one thing that doesn't transfer well to the street is punching the head. Without the hand protection, the head usually wins when fist hits frontal bone.

- Bill
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

TSDguy wrote:MMA has taught us a few truths. Whatever the rules are, you win if they're your rules (e.g. boxing will beat anything under boxing rules.)
I had a room mate who was an excellent boxer back in the early 80`s (before MMA). I learned not to play in his world without bending the rules a little :wink: and he learned how to play in mine quite effectively. However, I would not have had a hope in the ring with him if a referee was present. After improving my boxing skills I was able to score fairly well kick boxing with him.
The sport we call "MMA" (has rules) and has awakened many who feel their art is unbeatable. I do believe however that if one understands and applies the principles of the MA they study the "awakening" was required. In any true fight rules do not exist...in any sporting event rules must exist. If you can not make the rules work to your advantage then do not expect to win.
Léo
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

It wasn't a style bashing comment. I've been training in boxing for several years now.

I just meant any anything will lose outside of their own rules. Put a grandmaster chess player into a high level Scrabble game, and my money is on the scrabble player. James Toney was just downright embarrassing when he thought pure boxing would get him anywhere in the UFC. Put a karate 10th dan in a high school wrestling match and my money is on the wrestler.

http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/rand ... ull-fight/
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I always welcome your input, so take my posts to be nothing more than carrying the discussion along.
TSDguy wrote: It wasn't a style bashing comment.
Not taken as such.
TSDguy wrote:
I just meant any anything will lose outside of their own rules.
In general, true. However...
TSDguy wrote: Put a karate 10th dan in a high school wrestling match and my money is on the wrestler.
And there is the problem in a nutshell.

Where is our "THAT'S NOT UECHI!!!!!" naysayer (a.k.a. Ray) when we need him to dumb down a discussion? :lol:

Pigeonholing someone into a nice category can be intellectually lazy. When I think of your comment, I think of one of my instructors who started in judo before kyokushinkai before Goju before aikido before green berets. He would regularly play "wrestling" with karate students who were wrestlers, and beat them at their game under their rules. As author and actor Larry Tan used to say, "If you study enough styles you start repeating yourself, as there are only so many ways to bend the human body."

Two of my UVa students who became Uechi black belts with me came to me after 4 years of college wrestling. Talk about fun... One got a law degree, and another a PhD in physics. Talent is talent.

One of my Uechi peers who studied Bando would regularly enter UVa's Intramural boxing tournament. He won his weight division every year and was twice voted "most valuable boxer." And he wasn't a boxer.

My first style... was not Uechi Ryu, and at times it shows. I also have dan ranking in 2 other styles - one a grappling art. And more and more, I am the norm and not the exception to the rule. So what am I??? I do martial "stuff." I'm not world class, but I do alright. 8)

What kind of stylist is a Rory Miller? He has evolved. His Sosuishitsu Ryu roots show, but he has evolved. I find that this alleged grappler understands principles of the Uechi style better than most Uechi black belts. That's the place many of us are seeking. We want to see beyond the style, and internalize fighting principles. This was the domain of most schools of fighting before marketing packaged a "style" for mass consumption.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”