Lessons from a Martial Moron

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Re: Lessons from a Martial Moron

Post by Van Canna »

In response to the death threat you received, which I hope it has resolved, since it probably was by some vile coward trying to scare you, but with no balls to carry it through… did you get your phone 'tapped'?

…one thing I would have done, and you probably did it…is…to develop a habit of having a loaded handgun, in condition three, always under your strict control, day and night, even in the house, always ready at arm's length, but always safe from possible access by a child.

If a child is young enough, he/she won't have the strength to cycle the slide of a 1911, for example, to chamber a round…I find a .45 ACP bullet very comforting _ in a gun I need to have ready to go now.

At bedside, some friends in need, tell me they have a 1911 full magazine in it, nothing in the chamber, [condition three] under the left or right corner of their pillow, easy to get to, and requires a very conscious decision to rack the slide forcefully to put it into action…so 'no half asleep' mistakes…
Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

You have a keen insight, Van. And then I discovered my 12-year-old could cycle the Glock 20...
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yeah...no guarantees there either..even with a younger child and a .45 1911...with a strong pull of slide....a Glock seems easier to rack/slide then a 1911...have you found this to be true?

A 12 year old would be strong enough to cycle all slides and bolts [rifles] I would think.

Problem with guns at times is they _ like a 'pet snake' will turn on you when you least expect...the reason why they must be controlled, controlled, controlled...and even then accidents can happen.

Just an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly...something I keep reminding myself over and over.
Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

I've not handled too many 1911s, and none since I got the Glock. They are generally built too large for my hands. Glocks do seem to be easier to cycle than others, though. It's harder to cycle my new sub-compact.
Problem with guns at times is they _ like a 'pet snake' will turn on you when you least expect...the reason why they must be controlled, controlled, controlled...and even then accidents can happen.
And thus, back to the safe it went.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

For a house gun I would prefer a big caliber pistol which is intimidating by looks alone.

This particular S&W 1911 in .45 ACP that I use for that purpose has a nice slim grip and a tactical rail underneath to which I have attached a super-blinding light easy to flash on and off as needed.

Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

If they're dumb enough to not be intimidated by a 10mm, I'm not sure a .45 would help get the picture across any better. :lol:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

True...enough :wink:but...just maybe

ImageImage
Van
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Is that one of those light-funneling sights I see there? Those are nice.

Now I'm going to have to go take pics of mine to compare. :lol:

The Glock pic didn't come out so clear.

9mm

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”