Great Series on The History Channel

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Great Series on The History Channel

Post by Bill Glasheen »

There's a 3-part series on The History Channel on The Hafields & The McCoys. It stars Keven Costner as the head of the Hatfield clan of western West Virginia, and Bill Paxton as the head of the McCoy clan of eastern Kentucky. This is a feud between families of "a culture of honor" in the mountainous region that lasted for generations and went on in and outside the confines of law and order.

Hatfields & McCoys

You may or may not have been watching this. But I highly recommend you take the time to view this entire series.

To understand more about the kind of people who perpetuated this feud, read the chapter A Culture of Honor in Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers. Here's a short snippet.

Outliers - Culture of Honor by Malcolm Gladwell

BE SURE TO LISTEN TO THE 23 MINUTE AUDIO SNIPPET OF THE BOOK AT THE ABOVE LINK!

Assh0le... ;)

We have seen members of this "Culture of Honor" posting on these Forums. At times it's been entertaining; other times, not so much. But the more you understand, the more you can predict. And knowing your fellow man is the most important step in self-preservation.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Re: Great Series on The History Channel

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bill Glasheen wrote: We have seen members of this "Culture of Honor" posting on these Forums.
Can you name names? I can name at least 3.

I'd bet 100 bucks George could too.

- Bill
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Fascinating. I've been researching my family tree on Ancestry.com recently, and it turns out that I come from an incredibly consistent line of farmers tracing back in virtually every path to colonists, mostly British colonists but also some from New Amsterdam who arrived in the early 17th century. I grew up in the south and been aware of this culture of honor phenomenon in some folks, but it never made any sense to me. I guess maybe now I might know why. Even though I've never been a farmer, never lived on a farm, I probably have the culture of farmers ingrained somehow.
Mike
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

mhosea wrote: Fascinating. I've been researching my family tree on Ancestry.com recently, and it turns out that I come from an incredibly consistent line of farmers tracing back in virtually every path to colonists, mostly British colonists but also some from New Amsterdam who arrived in the early 17th century. I grew up in the south and been aware of this culture of honor phenomenon in some folks, but it never made any sense to me. I guess maybe now I might know why. Even though I've never been a farmer, never lived on a farm, I probably have the culture of farmers ingrained somehow.
You missed it. Please listen to the link I provided. It's quite detailed. It provides much more than what I'm going to quote. But I'll quote a key passage that gets to my specific point here.
Malcolm Gladwell wrote:Cultures of honor tend to take root in highlands and other marginally fertile areas like Sicily or the mountainous Basque regions of Spain. If you live on some rocky mountainside, the explanation goes, you can’t farm. You probably raised goats or sheep. And the kind of culture that grows up around being a herdsman is very different than the culture that grows up around growing crops. The survival of the farmer depends upon the cooperation of others in the community. But a herdsman is off by himself. Farmers also don’t have to worry that their livelihood could be stolen in the night, because crops can’t easily be stolen – unless of course the thief wants to go to the trouble of harvesting an entire field all on his own. But a herdsman does. He’s under constant threat of ruin through the loss of his animals. So he has to be aggressive. He has to make it clear through his words and deeds that he’s not weak. He has to be willing to fight in response to even the slightest challenge to his reputation. And that’s what the culture of honor means. It’s a world where a man’s reputation is at the center of his livelihood and self worth.
- Bill
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Sorry. I was only commenting on a side-matter that resonated with me. I knew it wasn't where you were headed.
Mike
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Aw, hell, I missed the start of it? Saw a preview a few weeks ago, and it looked great!
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

But the more you understand, the more you can predict. And knowing your fellow man is the most important step in self-preservation.
This is the key, as you point out Bill, but so many of us fail to grasp its critical importance.

It is a fact of life that a 'code' does exist in many cultures and for many different reasons difficult to comprehend, so we disparage it.

Being careful with our words and deeds, when dealing with people in all aspects of life goes a long way to keeping us safer.

If there is a real karate secret, it is this: Know the world you are in.
Many of us reject this education.

Read 3.3.2:"Know the world you are in" _ page 53, of Rory's book "Facing Violence" and learn stuff we never knew existed.
Malcolm Gladwell wrote:
Cultures of honor tend to take root in highlands and other marginally fertile areas like Sicily or the mountainous Basque regions of Spain.
Here we read more of such cultures_

http://tinyurl.com/6v3fyr3
Van
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Uh oh.....think I'm caught.............

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”