Thoughts

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Re: Thoughts

Post by Van Canna »

:mrgreen:
Van
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bill Glasheen wrote: George has met Chuck Norris. He's a good guy and a good martial artist. And he's very good at marketing his martial persona. Here's a good example.

Top 50 Chuck Norris Facts & Jokes
FYI, while they are undoubtedly good marketing for Norris, he is not behind those 'Chuck Norris Facts' that have become so popular. From a couple of wikipedia entries:
In late 2005, Norris became the object of an ironic internet meme known as "Chuck Norris Facts", which document fictional, often absurdly heroic feats and characteristics about Norris. Norris has written his own response to the parody on his website, stating that he does not feel offended by them and finds some of them funny.

Norris responded to the Chuck Norris facts on his official website with a statement. Admitting some of the statements were indeed humorous, he said he tries not to take any of them seriously, and he hopes that such statements will interest people in real facts about him contained in his literary works.
He has on at least one occassion responded specifically to a 'fact' that ran counter to his religious beliefs
One of the satirical facts made of Norris states that "There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live". In the aforementioned article, he wrote:

It's funny. It's cute. But here's what I really think about the theory of evolution: it's not real. It is not the way we got here. In fact, the life you see on this planet is really just a list of creatures God has allowed to live. We are not creations of random chance. We are not accidents. There is a God, a Creator, who made you and me. We were made in His image, which separates us from all other creatures. By the way, without Him, I don't have any power. But with Him, the Bible tells me, I really can do all things — and so can you.

However while an internet fade is one thing, he does seem to (rightly in my opinion) draw the line at people making money on these, which is essentially making money on his name without his permission
On November 29, 2007, Gotham Books, the adult division of Penguin USA, released a book entitled The Truth About Chuck Norris: 400 facts about the World's Greatest Human based on the Chuck Norris Facts. Norris filed suit in December against Penguin USA and author Ian Spector claiming "trademark infringement, unjust enrichment and privacy rights." Norris dropped the suit in May of the following year.
I am not sure if the case was dropped because of a settlement or for other reasons, but in 2009 Norris co-authored his own counter to these 'facts', The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book.
Glenn
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

K... Love it... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote:
FYI, while they are undoubtedly good marketing for Norris, he is not behind those 'Chuck Norris Facts' that have become so popular.
Maybe and maybe not with that one website. But if he didn't start the trend, he has most certainly run with it.

..... Mike Huckabee Ad: "Chuck Norris Approved"

Obviously all in good fun. Oh and if it isn't obvious by now, Chuck leans a bit on the social conservative side.

While as a scientist I wince a bit at some of the bible belt social conservative messages, Mike Huckabee and Chuck Norris are nice enough guys. I certainly would enjoy having both of them as friends.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Oh yeah, I remember that ad. Frankly I think Norris should run with these 'facts' more, they are great publicity for him. And many of them are fun. I have seen calendars, posters, shirts, and other merchandise with various 'facts' on them. Not sure if Norris gets any profit from them but he should, however since he is a public celebrity and he did not come up with the 'facts' I don't think the makers of the merchandise have to pay him anything.
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”