The Psychopath Makeover

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

Re: The Psychopath Makeover

Post by jorvik »

Egad, you actually listened to an expert...don't you know how dangerous that is?!?!

Well not really, but saying that I listened to some guy didn't seem to fit too well :oops:

however,
"Economists are social scientists, in the same boat as political scientists, sociologists, etc in trying to explain group behavior. Economists are scientists to the extent that incorporating the scientific method and statistical/mathematical (what economists call econometric) modeling makes them scientific, but like other social scientists they are lucky if their regression models can account for as much as 60% of variability in their dependent variable and thus their models have very limited explanatory and (even less) predictive ability. Just as Bill mentioned with his hungry-wolf ecological example, there is enough variability and unpredictibility in social behavior to warrant cautionary disclaimers on the models developed. In the economics courses I have taken they talk about economics being truly predictive only in very limited circumstances."

Well yeah , but you have folks like Ben Bernanke who is a professor and folks like Marc Farber ( also a professor) who disagree with him.................now I'm not as clever or educated as you or Bill.but it seems to me that these guys have a lot of power or sway, and I mean real world power, especially Ben.......yet they don't have that much credibility to real scientists ( .......and I apptreciate Science my Dad was a senior engineer in GM uk, I'm his dumb son :cry: )

So I look at folks who are experts in self defence and I honestly don't believe that they have the same credibility as economists, and what credibility do they have? ..so why do they have credibility? I dunno personnaly :?
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

This has been an interesting read. Thanks, guys.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Just a thought.....I collect knives ,and the American tendecy is for "tacticool" knives.ones that are designed to inflict harm to our fellow humans 8O .but the folks that design them are'nt surgeons or butchers but nerdy knife collectors.....just a thought :wink:

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”