1934 Itoman Seijin (Morinobu’s) book Toudi-jutsu no Kenkyu o

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor Smith

1934 Itoman Seijin (Morinobu’s) book Toudi-jutsu no Kenkyu o

Post by Victor Smith »

Bill FYi,

http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.co ... ou-if.html

I was fortunate to assist McKenna Sensei with the review process for this work and found myself affected greatly by this text. or The Study of the Techniques of Toudi (China hand). A description of the Okinawan art before karate, according to Itoman's description a time before rank or styles. Toudi where
"there are no junior or senior grades in Toudi". Just the training

For example Itoman describes how one becomes an instructor. "Following, breaking and transcending involve a student first copying the form of his teacher and restraining himself from making any personal changes to it. Next, he breaks or separates his practice from that of his teacher trying to exceed him. Finally he transcends his teacher's instruction and finds his own unique military art. " I
find this is different than today's standards.

This is not a kata book. Instead Itoman spends his time describing about 225 of Toudi's 600 techniques which leave us thinking both about the descriptive nature of what he does share and about what he doesn't describe. There is no question that environmental concerns are addressed with the techniques. It makes me think that the dojo atmosphere did not control the art. Even special training procedures are addressed making the Toudi presented very complete.

While this is not a kata textbook it offers surprises for us.

The last third of he book shows how many of these techniques would be applied. For example when you throw an opponent kick them in the neck. Hardly the focus of today's training. The book also suggests that speaking your way out of an encounter may be the right answer.

Mario McKennna , (The only instructor of Tou'on ryu outside of Japan these days) translated Itoman's work because of the intense description given of Toudi for us. Itoman was a police officer who was sharing Toudi with fellow officers when he was approached by the publisher of Kokukake newspaper who asked him to do so.

Mario uses Lulu Press which only prints the books individually when ordered. They do not have e-publications such as kindal. In the past he sold .pdf files of his translations, which are more for fellow researchers than for serious money. He spends years on each translation for their use and his compensation is minimal.

I do not see the .pdff files for sale now, I suspect he discontinued them because others were passing them around. I don't beleive he should offer them, for to do so because it is his effort.

While not a kata book Itoman does mention them as a big part of training. Let me throw something out. Itoman writes on Toudi Kata.

.."Two of the basic forms are sanshin (repeated steps) and sanchin (repeated hands). The former uses many leg techniques while the latter uses many hand techniques. There are three versions of sanshin kata and three versions of sanchn kata totaling six versions.'

How long before we see this and not from any senior Okinawan instructor?
I think that you would find Itoman's "The Study of Chin Hand Techniques" most interesting because in describing Toudi techniques it does not utilize what we have come to expect with Japanese terminology.

Instead it uses a more descriptive set of terms. For example you have the lion Fist, the Dog Paw strike, the Willow Branch Block, the Raking Block and the Snake Fist Block, the Pulling step, the Horse Nibble and the Ox Kick. This is not all and each is described. You can consider them among your set of
techniques you currently use. Additionally the use of the environment is considered. For example there is
kicking described when jumping over logs.

The final 1/3 of the text describes which techniques to use in situational roles. Toudi strategy is provoking.

Well I don't want to give more of the book away for those interested in Toudi or what was training before there was the Empty Hand.

The book is currently is production hiatus, aproblem was discovered but is to be available within the week.

Hope this is helpful,

Victor Smith
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Steve Hatfield

Re: 1934 Itoman Seijin (Morinobu’s) book Toudi-jutsu no Kenk

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Looks interesting Victor. I tried to cut and past the shopping link but it didn't come up with the book?

Steve
Victor Smith

Post by Victor Smith »

As i mentioned there are some garbled pages. Lulu justs prints books individually when ordered. Thus this is a simpler fix.. Mario has told me this should be fixed within the week. My copy was fine. Good Luck and when you can order it I think you will be pleased.
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Interesting stuff, Victor. Thanks for posting the link and giving your assessment.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”