You have 10 second. What do you see?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Re: You have 10 second. What do you see?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

harlan wrote: Or the victim of repeated abuse. Injuries document trauma...not necessarily the underlying conditions.
Have you ever read Gavin DeBecker's book The Gift of Fear? That's what we're talking about here. DeBecker implores us to listen to that inner voice, and not try to rationalize things away because it's too impolite to think certain things or to be rude to someone who doesn't appear to have our best interest in mind. When dealing with danger, erring on the side of caution is usually the wise choice.

As for the "injuries", well experts very often draw conclusions from injuries that require pattern recognition and deductive reasoning. To your point... child abuse cases often lead to concrete changes because of a *pattern* of injuries.

With this gentleman we see a broken nose and cauliflower ear. The former can happen for any number of reasons, but the latter is the result of a pattern of trauma. Put the two together and one can draw reasonable conclusions that make it important to consider this gentleman quite capable of engaging in a rumble.

Or to put it another way, Occam's Razor applies. When considering competing storylines, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Have you ever read Gavin DeBecker's book The Gift of Fear? That's what we're talking about here. DeBecker implores us to listen to that inner voice, and not try to rationalize things away because it's too impolite to think certain things or to be rude to someone who doesn't appear to have our best interest in mind. When dealing with danger, erring on the side of caution is usually the wise choice.

As for the "injuries", well experts very often draw conclusions from injuries that require pattern recognition and deductive reasoning. To your point... child abuse cases often lead to concrete changes because of a *pattern* of injuries.

With this gentleman we see a broken nose and cauliflower ear. The former can happen for any number of reasons, but the latter is the result of a pattern of trauma. Put the two together and one can draw reasonable conclusions that make it important to consider this gentleman quite capable of engaging in a rumble.
As an aside Bill , while taking the cues and being aware is primary, I'd also recommend taking a page from Tony Blaur when you see the signs/scars of violence perhaps flip it and consider how he must of had his ass kicked many times , and you may just have to do it again if it cant be avoided.

Is it a threat or a challenge , prepared and prepared.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Bill, have you read 'The Anatomy of Violence,' by Adrian Raine?
To your point... child abuse cases often lead to concrete changes because of a *pattern* of injuries.
The author claims that these changes go all the way down to the DNA level, up to brain tissue proportions and structural changes.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Just something to consider in this conversation...

Joey Pomfret is a Uechi Ryu Blackbelt, BJJ Brown Belt, Marine Corps Scout Sniper, and a former *highly* successful competitive mixed martial artist. I had a chance to go toe-to-toe with him on the mat (grappling only) a few times in front of many at summer Uechi camps. (I felt pretty good being able to delay the inevitable for a bit.) Anyhow I noted that Joey also has a touch of cauliflower ear. If you spend enough time on the mat and you aren't always wearing headgear, you're going to get the ear issues.

It's sort of like Shinjo Kiyohide and his crooked fingers. So many years competing at a world class level... Injuries happen.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Depends on your ears I think, some seem to get them banged up more than others, but yeah happens

if your a front rower in rugby pretty common.

If your ear swells, you can get it drained and compressed before it hardens, some folks do it themselves
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Here's Ronda Rousey - sporting judo gold medal - with a bit of the cauliflower ear.

Her MMA title came after that.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Stryke wrote: If your ear swells, you can get it drained and compressed before it hardens, some folks do it themselves
Yea, that can get nasty...

Big problem with my Rhodesian Ridgeback. Several times he got a hematoma in his ear and we'd pay a thousand bucks to have it drained and sutured so we could show him. After the third time, I just gave up. Let the last one heal by itself. He stopped flopping his ears, which was part of the cause.

Seeing this makes your realize why they crop ears in many large breed dogs like Great Danes. It's not cruel as they make it out to be in the UK where ear cropping is banned. It's humane.

Puppy.

Grown dog with cropped ears.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Yeah Bill , real pain but good for folks to know , a punch can damage the cartilage and the fluid builds up , lots of people don't realise waiting for the swelling to go down wont work , and once you've had it tends to reoccur. Its just draining of the fluid and making sure its compressed so it reattaches and isn't as likely to reoccur.

better to get it dealt with straight away if you want to maintain your looks, and avoid the profiling

didn't happen to me to any serious degree in my Juijitsu training , just luck probably , but a few guys were really prone to it , probably tends to be to what degree your ears resemble satellite dishes but tends to be the dragging and ripping of the ear out of holds or on the mat etc, and can get anyone , head gear is probably the only real option.
MarkNoble

Post by MarkNoble »

Valkenar wrote:The whole thing sounds a little weird to me, but yeah, we weren't there. It seems strange that a dude in custody being questioned by 3+ police officers had to be shot, but stranger things have happened. More's the pity, since it's going to fuel conspiracy theorists. "Oh sure, he confessed verbally and was about to sign the written confession when oops he got shot. More like Obama and his martian allies (what do we really know about the curiosity rover?) wanted to shut him up to keep The Truth about the marathon bombing a secret."
The weirdness continues... 2 FBI agents involved in the arrests/shooting have now been 'accidentally' killed themselves.

http://www.voltairenet.org/article178640.html

http://intellihub.com/2013/05/23/fbi-ag ... n-bombing/

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press- ... g-exercise
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MarkNoble wrote: The weirdness continues... 2 FBI agents involved in the arrests/shooting have now been 'accidentally' killed themselves.
I read the FBI account.

"Killed" is an unfortunate choice of words. It implies intent, and there's no evidence of it. I grew up in the area. People drowned all the time in the area. It's part of the natural hazard of water. These two gentlemen were part of a hostage rescue training exercise with some risk involved. While it may be "weird", I really don't see that there's any foul play involved.

In case you think this is unusual, then here's a piece of history to consider.

..... Operation Eagle Claw

- Bill
MarkNoble

Post by MarkNoble »

Bill Glasheen wrote: "Killed" is an unfortunate choice of words. It implies intent, and there's no evidence of it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/us/2- ... .html?_r=0

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/miner ... story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22780398

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/29/world/asi ... lane-crash

To me, the common usage of the verb doesn't necessarily imply intent but perhaps 'died' would be a better word to use. If it is a misnomer, it is a ubiquitous one.

Your point about the likelihood of a real accident having occurred is well-taken. However, it seems a bit suspicious that these guys first shoot an accomplice/witness, and then die shortly after in a training accident.

It is eerily reminiscent of the case of Lee Harvey Oswald.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”