Need source... Kanbun's alleged kill technique

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

Re: Need source... Kanbun's alleged kill technique

Post by jorvik »

" From the WC guys I know a lot if not most lineages do not have chin na ( or at least don't emphasize it), a few do. But for the most part the WC guys I've trained with did not like most locks as they break WC principles, and those boys do like their principles."

"those boys do like their principles."

Indeed they do. If you go to a leung Ting school you will immediately notice the difference to a Sam kwouk school or a Gary Lam school.
They also change the name or put a prefix to differentiate the schools so you have Southern Mantis which is different from Northern mantis..but in Southern mantis you also have Iron Ox, Bamboo forest Mantis, also prostitute sin's version of Bamboo forest where you don't practice the forms....it's much easier than saying " MY" Mantis because that doesn't really convey anything..even in Aikido there are different versions and they also give a name so you have Hombu Aikikai , Iwama RYu, Yoshinkan etc..........so you know what you are getting :D
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:D

Bill, can you get me sandwiched between those two beauties? :mrgreen:
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

jorvik wrote: Indeed they do. If you go to a leung Ting school you will immediately notice the difference to a Sam kwouk school or a Gary Lam school.

even in Aikido there are different versions and they also give a name so you have Hombu Aikikai , Iwama RYu, Yoshinkan etc..........so you know what you are getting :D
Indeed.

I learned Tomiki method of aikido - from a former green beret. It is a version where their participants often practiced in rooms with padded walls. You get the picture. All Dr. King's students had black belts in another style before learning from him. If you did not know Sanchin, you weren't readiy. If you didn't have the foundation in body mechanics and if you couldn't come into class knowing how to hit someone (and thus be a good workout partner) then you weren't ready.

It was the farthest thing from "ki aikido" that you can get.

I later worked with the aikikai aikido folks. After Dr. King's baptism by fire, I did not fear the random jerk that wanted to try to hurt me because he had pecking order issues.

But I digress...

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna wrote: Bill, can you get me sandwiched between those two beauties? :mrgreen:

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:lol:
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Maybe we can stuff them both in one of these I'm thinking of buying...

Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

If you buy the truck and know the young ladies, I'll supply a few bottles of wine and my best wishes.

To be consumed *after* driving safely to your destination of course... ;-)
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yeah, Bill, life is too damn short. :(
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Bill,

The first time I think I heard that it was Kanbun who killed him was in Alan Dollar's book.
I think it was related to him from Toyama.

I think if anyone knew what that technique was (since it was supposedly changed in the kata) it would have to be either Toyama or Tomoyose.
I suppose it could have been passed down through the Shinjo family also. I might ask Carlos if this is where he heard it.

My two cents anyway.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”