Take-aways from Summerfest 2013

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Take-aways from Summerfest 2013

Post by Bill Glasheen »

• I need to get on and finish my book. The same goes for Buzz, Roy, and a few others who are working on their individual pieces. Books create interest, and interest produces great information exchanges.
  • I really need another video for the Fuzhou Suparinpei. Until folks see how this kata fits in with and expands the concepts in The Big Three Uechi forms, they won't understand why Shushiwa choreographed it. In fact they won't understand why new techniques popped up in our hojoundo and bridge kata. That form ties it all together.
  • Next year I want to do a seminar on body mechanics. (That will be a chapter in my book.)

The more I learn and the more I watch people do their kata, the more I realize that so many people are desperately in need of help. It's not *what* they are doing, but *how* they are doing it. I'm not alone on this concern. The good news though is that the problems I observe can be fixed. But the student must be ready before the teacher will be there. And teachers need to let their students reach out at camp.

This goes all the way to people being tested. If your students do "dead fish kata" (with apologies to Van Canna) or their mechanics don't make sense, then they reflect poorly both on their teachers and on our style. Furthermore... in the words of someone else I just talked to, poor technique in dan ranks gets passed down to others. The purpose of what we do inside and outside the dojo is to learn how not to get ourselves hurt. If we let bad technique happen because we don't respect a student's ability to do better (when they can), we do generations of harm.

If a practitioner learns a handful of principles that any and every world class athlete uses to do what they do, they can go far. Coffee needs caffeine, and it needs to taste right.
  • Networking is important. Even though the seminars were a bust for me this year, touching base with key people was worth its weight in gold.
  • I love my growing Uechi family.
- Bill
f.Channell

Re: Take-aways from Summerfest 2013

Post by f.Channell »

Set a goal on how many pages you can write a day, 1,000-2,000 words a day is a good goal (Stephen King).
Figure how long until it is done.
Set an end date and do it. Without a finish date goal it will never be done.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Re: Take-aways from Summerfest 2013

Post by Van Canna »

Good post Bill, Thanks. Great seeing you at camp.
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”