Parkour and Karate

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

emattson

Parkour and Karate

Post by emattson »

Sport Fitness Advisor has a wonderful article about parkour, published by Jacky Anderson. I recommend reading it. What are the differences and similarities it has to karate? It makes an interesting subject to discuss. See:
https://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/parkour.html

They both requires strong discipline and years of training, challenging the body. They’re hard though parkour obviously looks more challenging, more showy. Both incorporate a strong defensive element into their philosophy. Karate ingrain emotional discipline not to start trouble; do not escalate a heated situation; block kicks; block fists. Parkour seems to be solely defensive. Catch me if you can. They run through impossible barriers and jump from crazy height that screams certain broken ankles. The bad guy stares impotently in rage while his victim, with his tongue sticking out, escapes. Karate is more ‘stand your ground’ style. Uech-Ryu, in fact teaches students to always face your opponent. I do admit in being more skilled in parkour’s fleeing philosophy than karate’s face the attacker technique. I like relying on my sheer speed to leave the bad guy in my dust.

Balance is an important foundation for parkour. Karate has more in common with boxing, but the basic kata requires much study on feet placement. Some of it is for good balance, though the stances are for placing the toughest part of the legs at the front, ready to protect. Maybe the years of karate fall exercises protected me from real-life falls. Boston is just horrible with icy and cracked sidewalks. I really should spend more time practicing fall remedies.

Both in my opinion teach healthy body and good exercise, great habits which should be practiced far more.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Re: Parkour and Karate

Post by emattson »

Nick Pro has a fun parkour channel in YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NickPro/
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”