Health tips???

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Health tips???

Post by gmattson »

Bill:
I subscribe to this medical doctor's newsletter and wanted to get your advice regarding his views on what may or may not be a serious health issue.

George
---------------------------------------------------------

Al Sears, MD
11905 Southern Blvd.
Royal Palm Beach, FL 33411 June 4, 2014
Dear ,
I always thought of the North Pole as the most pristine place on Earth. But not anymore.
It’s totally uninhabited by humans. Yet researchers are now finding toxins from the modern world there.1
This is another manifestation of a basic problem we all face...
The world we were designed to live in over millions of years has recently changed.
Toxins now enter our bodies through the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, and even through our skin, no matter where we live or how carful we are.
And our bodies haven't adapted quickly enough to flush out the countless man-made chemicals, toxins, and pollutants that are now present in our everyday lives.
But getting rid of these toxins will help you live a longer, disease-free life. You can reduce or eliminate numerous problems such as chronic pain, digestive troubles, depression, and even poor eyesight. Detoxifying your body can boost your immune system, clear your mind, balance your hormones, and much more.
The good news is there are steps you can take to cleanse your body.
With my patients, I begin with reducing heavy metals. Arsenic and lead are among the most common forms of heavy metal toxicity.2 These poisons are used to manufacture things you wouldn't commonly think of as having metals in them. Products like pesticides, glass, wood preservatives, fertilizers, paint, batteries, plumbing, and ink. Not to mention hobby paints, hair coloring, and cosmetics.
In some cases, doctors will use a synthetic solution or chemical called ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) through injection. But this can sometimes cause side effects, including headache, rash, and high blood pressure. And in some cases, it can remove vital minerals from your body along with the toxins.3
There are some safer, more natural methods that I recommend for removing toxic metals from your body.
1) You can take chlorella, a form of dried algae. You can find it in most health-food stores. Take one 500 mg capsule per day initially. Some people are sensitive to chlorella. If you start experiencing nausea or burping, it means your body can't tolerate it, and you should go for another option.
If you don't have a sensitivity, work up slowly over one to two weeks to a dose of one teaspoon (10 tablets or capsules) per day until your levels come down.
2) Fresh cilantro has also been shown to remove mercury from the body. About a teaspoon a day should work.
3) Garlic is also good. Three cloves of fresh garlic per day should help.
4) There's another powerful tool you can use to flush dangerous toxins from your body. It's called modified citrus pectin, and it's made from the inner peel of citrus fruits. Modified citrus pectin is one of the most effective detoxifiers I've found, and it's been proven to work in human clinical studies.
Even though modified citrus pectin is strong enough to soak up toxins and heavy metals like a sponge, it's also gentle on your system. Not a single person in these human trials reported any side effects.
Modified citrus pectin is so safe it has been tested on children as young as 5 years old who suffer from lead poisoning. Every child tested had a dramatic increase in the excretion of lead in their urine - over 130% on average.5
Now before you run out and buy citrus pectin, you have to make sure you're getting the right kind. There are a lot of people out there selling citrus pectin, but it's not the same kind that was used in the clinical studies.
The good news is, a colleague of my friend Dr. Nan Fuchs found a way to modify citrus pectin that makes it very easy for your body to digest. The result is a patented form of modified citrus pectin called PectaSol. It easily binds to toxins, so they can be eliminated by your body's digestive system.
I recommend you read the following report now. You’ll learn everything you need to know about this powerful detoxifier.
To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD
Bill Glasheen

Re: Health tips???

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, George!

Detox regimens have been all the rage for a while. Allegedly we have all these toxins from various sources that make us ill, and there are potions which can remove said toxins from our body. It is indeed true that in the past and present, we're exposed to things in our environment that don't agree with us. The range of toxins go from heavy metals to myriad organics.

The smartest thing to do is not to expose yourself in the first place.

The literature hasn't supplied us with evidence that these self-medication regimens do us much good. The list of verdicts is very slightly helpful in some cases to benign to harmful. Remember that a substance which removes harmful organics or metals may also remove nutritious organics and minerals. So one has to be careful.

I'm somewhat ambivalent to this product. If your doctor says it's OK to take, then you can try it. But I wouldn't take it for too long. And I'd be very careful about the timing of when you take it if you're on any kind of medication. This may render life-saving medicine useless.

Another choice - if you really feel a need for an occasional detox - is activated charcoal capsules. When patients present at the ER with a drug overdose, an activated charcoal drink is part of the emergency treatment regimen. You can find the capsules at any health food store. I keep them in my cabinet just in case I or one of my boys has ingested something harmful. But one shouldn't take this routinely, as it can constipate and also remove medicines and important nutrients. Once again, it never hurts to consult a physician first.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I was asked to share this. I am keeping the name anonymous.

The individual involved was/is one of my martial arts students. The conditions this student struggles with include but are not limited to lupus, asthma, a thyroid condition subsequent to radiation treatment for Grave's Disease, and myriad allergies.

This person is under the care of a *very* good primary care physician whose goal it is to keep said patient out of the hospital and ER. It's a holistic approach. The doctor has approved each and every nutritional supplement being taken by the patient. They include a multivitamin, a D3-K2 supplement, beta carotene and biocurcumin to address extreme photosensitivity (from the Lupus), and some bone-preserving minerals. All these supplements must be weaved around a daily regimen of Synthroid to replace the thyroid hormone which is no longer produced after the radiation treatment for Grave's Disease. With all this and the food allergies, there are always food and environmental triggers that cause occasional Lupus flair-ups.

This person - with the approval and supervision of the physician - has a nightly regimen of activated charcoal capsules to keep the GI tract as "toxin free" as possible. These capsules are not taken with any medicine or supplements. They would essentially cancel each other out, and put the patient in jeopardy.

This is an evidence-based and expert-supervised use of "detox" therapy.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Good advise Bill. . .

Sue and I use the charcoal capsules on occasion with good results.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”