Two different but complimentary things

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Two different but complimentary things

Post by fivedragons »

Analysis, comparison and appreciation.

Ba duan jin is a chi kung of the shoalin tradition that is practiced in many forms, under many different names. It is said to originate from the teachings of Da mo, and was introduced as a way to maintain health and vitality for those who spent all of their time sitting around and not thinking.

The Yang tai chi chi kung is a basic set of exercises that form the foundation of the martial form. It is categorized as part of the taoist tradition.

I think that they compliment and feed into each other.

The commonalities are that they are both moving forms of meditation, linking breath with movement that is not specifically tied to martial application.

Ba duan jin incorporates dynamic tension on exhale, into isometric tension, which is held for three full breaths, into relaxation on the inhale. It also involves gentle stretching and extension of the body, along with the transition between high and low stances. It has the effect of strengthening all of the connecting tissues in balance, as one. This contributes to unified movement, as in a sword or spear.

The tai chi chi kung incorporates belly breathing with fully relaxed movement, in the form of a wave. This contributes to the awareness of the sequential aspect of movement, along with balance and feeling the ground.

I like to practice them on alternating days, linking the shoalin approach with other strengthening exercises, and the taoist approach with body conditioning and calisthenic type exercises.

The soft could be said to change the way you move your body, while the hard could be said to change the way your body moves you.

A little yin for your yang.
fivedragons

Re: Two different but complimentary things

Post by fivedragons »

As someone who has undergone physical therapy in the past, I have to add that the tai chi approach has to be one of the most therapeutic things a person can do, both in the preventive and rehabilitative sense. You don't see too many older Chinese people in wheel chairs or using walkers. What you do see is a bunch of people practicing tai chi in the park.

I find it to be very similar to the effect one gets while moving in water.
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: Two different but complimentary things

Post by gmattson »

Interesting breathing exercises. . . Been experimenting with them and find them very interesting. Thanks for sharing them.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”