RIP Kanmei Uechi

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

RIP Kanmei Uechi

Post by gmattson »

Just received news of Kanmei Uechi sensei's passing.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Glenn

Re: RIP kanmei Uechi

Post by Glenn »

I never met him but sad news indeed.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Re: RIP kanmei Uechi

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I did meet Uechi Kanei, Uechi Kansei, Uechi Kanmei, and Uechi Kanji. Sadly only one of them is with us today. We had both Uechi Kanmei and his son Uechi Kanji visit us in the Mid-Atlantic region about 17 or so years back. One of my female students was put up by the Uechi family when she visited Okinawa in the 1980s.

I never worked directly with any of the Uechi family, but watched them from a very close distance. Their approach vastly simplified my art. Sometimes detail-oriented mimickers want to make things complicated. My bent is to see patterns and to reduce things to a parsimonious collection of principles. Uechi Kanei and Uechi Kanmei both understood this and taught this way. The importance of this approach from a reality-based self-defense perspective cannot be overstated.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Uechi family. I hope to see Uechi Kanji some day soon. He always has a home here away from home.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”