Differences between prewar and postware Uechi Kata

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

johnaaron

Differences between prewar and postware Uechi Kata

Post by johnaaron »

Greetings:

I'm researching the prewar versions of Sanchin, Seisan, and Sandairyu - and I'm not finding much. I have heard that there was some change between the way the kata were originally taught and performed, and the current standards. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!
Seizan

Re: Differences between prewar and postware Uechi Kata

Post by Seizan »

PM for you...

Seizan
emattson

Re: Differences between prewar and postware Uechi Kata

Post by emattson »

From 1926 until 1932 karate dojos operated on a very secretive basis. Many martial artists grandmaster would not share their knowledge, worried that his knowledge will be misused. If a suitable successor to a master could not be found, his arts would often die with him. In April 1932, Kanbun Uechi founded the Pangai Noon Karate Research Center a dojo open to the public. Since then, I feel karate became more opened to the public. Karate, like everything else changes. The primary philosophy probably remained the same.
See:
viewtopic.php?t=22936
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”