Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Decorum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 1999 10:03 pm 

This is a place where all (including the "inside" crowd) may address recent issues of decorum. Feel free to speak from the heart, but refrain from gratuitous abuse.

Thanks.

The moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 1999 10:16 pm 

This is a test reply since I have not been able to get through using my current password.

[Note: This message has been edited by gmattson]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 1999 10:33 pm 

Sensei Glasheen:

I have studied some Tai Chi these past (lessee now) 11 years or so, and I do not mean to be one of those guys who opens all messages with the I been there and done that etc., etc., etc.. I don't think or feel that egocentric.

However, I have done some push hands work and perhaps have just bumped past beginner in Yang Family Tai Chi (my Tai Chi nickname is "Limping Ox") and can offer the followings:

It would seem to me that an External MArtial Art is one which (like kickboxing perhaps) just teaches catalougs of techniques. An internal art would direct its primary attention to a particular type or group of body and mind development or sensitivities.

Experientially, when I practice Uechi Form, I sweat from a fairly deep core of my body, with Tai Chi, it's as though I have swallowed a halpina pepper. A bit deeper, but not distantly so.

AS to push hands, I (there's that word again) have been working a bit with four corners, single hand and freestyle.

The four forces, if it is helpful, practiced in four corners are: Wardoff (Peng) Rollback (neutralize)(Lu), Press (Ji) and Push (An).

There are eight forces altogether, but I only recall five at the moment.

I beleive proper push hands practice is both helpful and difficult for a Uechi Practioner. It is both good for your centering and confusing as you learn new methods of shifting, much like learning a new language or dance.

If I can be helpful I will try to do so.

John Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 1999 3:40 pm 

Mr. Thurston

Thanks to you, the Internal vs. External thread lives! We appreciate your humble contributions, no matter how small.

Bill Glasheen