Karate DO

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

Karate DO

Post by Rick Wilson »

I would like to ask what the "DO" in Karate DO means?

Yes, I think we all know that in the late 30's and early 40's of this century Karate Jitsu gave way to Karate DO. This change was to imply that not only did you learn to defend yourself with Karate, but also you learned how to lead a better life.

Everyone has good and bad in them. Everyone has made decisions that they would now like to change. Everyone has acted in ways they wish they had not.

I am learning that part of Karate DO is to look inward at yourself and examine all parts. A native spiritual teacher told me that the most difficult part of this process is that you must embrace, not only the good, but the bad as well. Before we can effect changes in ourselves we must first accept that change is required. Thus we must face, accept and embrace parts of ourselves that we wish did not exist. If we cannot do this, then we cannot become the people we may want to be. Many will never progress in that "DO" because they cannot face what they see.

So learning the "DO" part is encompassed in this process. So, how do we know when we have taken steps along in this process? By what we "do". (Ha ha a little play on words here.)

It matters very little to espouse good will and friendship to all if your actions do not show the expression of those words.

In Sensei Mattson's recent update about the sad news that the Boston Tour has been cancelled we have an example of "do". Regardless of the words spoken or expressed in what should be Karate DO, I can only interpret from what they do.

I could even accept a personal issue where one individual may not want to deal with another individual, but to expand that conflict to encompass others and affect and hurt others is ... well ....

No longer can anyone say to me that North Americans should try to emulate the friendship and good will shown by the Okinawans in how they conduct themselves within Karate do.

Let's see ... Boston Tour vs. Summer Camp ... which truly expresses goodwill and friendship within Martial Arts?

Just a small fry in Karate, so it is even more discouraging that this is what I see.

Let me further say that when you sit by and allow such behaviour, then this also is an expression of your "DO".

Peace,

Rick
david

Karate DO

Post by david »

Though I already expressed myself in another forum, I will do so again. I am still saddened by the actions of the "masters" that affect more than the intended target. My other emotions have already dissipated as will sadness over this. But, to second Rick's play on the word, we need to continue to do as part of our "DO". Time to move on.

I suspect GEM will continue to try to rebuild bridges. If he chooses not to, I truly understand because there are times where energy can be more productive and better expended elsewhere.

As as always, I look forward to camp as a place of practice and commradery, open to all who choose to participate.

david
Evan Pantazi

Karate DO

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Something that was expressed to me a while back by several sources was the fact that the Orient is going through the same cultural revolution that the U.S. did in the late 60's & 70's. The youth wants to live the high life and want no part of tradition or ancient ways. The Arts are no exception and have become stronger in the U.S. than abroad (this is not a welcome outcome by the East). Revel in it folks and seek out "Your Elders" they have a wealth of information and will embrace and foster you in your growth. Yes the East has a little more to give but I think China is the place to start. As it opens up more will be available in terms of knowledge and heritage. Unfortunately not for long as the same revolution is also eating away at their traditional cornerstones. It is Our (U.S.) turn to forge ahead and develop new traditions for U.S. values. As for ties with the East (and I know this will be a very contraversial statement, please pardon the seeming lack of respect, it's not intended just stated so we can move on), if they don't want them that is their issue they must live with. From the talent I have seen in the U.S. you will be fine, "Your" U.S. elders will see to that!
------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho

[This message has been edited by Evan Pantazi (edited 03-12-99).]
Bill Glasheen

Karate DO

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rick

I wanted to start a thread on this topic. Instead....I went home, had a great workout (spent two overtime hours with a couple of dedicated students), and got a good night's sleep. That was MY best response to the situation.

And I got to show one of these eager students some of the little mini-bunkais that Evan and I were talking about in the seichin thread.

Rick, I cannot touch what you wrote. It says it all.

In the mean time, I hope everyone understands the difference between people and organizations. Organizations are made up of living, breathing people with many individual personalities, aspirations, and histories. Organizations are there to serve the members and not the other way around. Individuals in power in organizations are representatives of such, and NOT the organization per se. All organizations have good people and SOBs.

We who are deeply involved in our own groups should be very much in touch with our own individual and collective shortcomings. We need not look outside the walls of our own group to target bad behavior.

The best way for the "minnows" to deal with behavior that appears (and probably is) irrational and capricious is....to shut up and train. Meet with others at your level - regardless of organization - and sweat together. Visit other dojo, keep your mouth shut, work hard, and take personal pride in being the best representative of YOURSELF (and your organization) that you can be.

When individuals train hard, behave with dignity, and show respect for others regardless of affiliation, folks who use organizational power for ignoble purposes become irrelevant.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 03-12-99).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Karate DO

Post by gmattson »

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE:

1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.

2. Memorize your favorite poem.

3. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all youwant.

4. When you say, "I love you", mean it.

5. When you say, "I'm sorry," look the person in the eye.

6. Be engaged at least six months before you are married.

7. Believe in love at first sight.

8. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.

9. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.

10. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.

11. Don't judge people by their relatives.

12. Talk slowly but think quickly.

13. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, "Why do you want to know?"

14. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

15. Call your mom.

16. Say "bless you" or gezundtheit" when you hear someone sneeze.

17. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

18. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all of your actions.

19. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

20. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

21. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.

22. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older., their conversational skills will be as important as any other.

23. Spend some time alone.

24. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

25. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

26. Read more books and watch less TV.

27. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time.

28. Trust in god but lock your car.

29. A loving atmosphere in your home is so important. Do all you can to create a tranquil harmonious home.

30. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation, Don't bring up the past.

31. Read between the lines.

32. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

33. Be gentle with the earth.

34. Pray. There's immeasurable power in it.
35. Never interrupt when you are being flattered.

36. Mind your own business.

37. Don't trust a man/woman who doesn't close his/her eyes when you kiss.

38. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

39. If you make a lot of money, put it to use helping others while you are living. That is wealth's greatest satisfaction.

40. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.

41. Learn the rules then break some.

42. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.

43. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

44. Remember that your character is your destiny.

45. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited 03-12-99).]
Mark J Brelsford

Karate DO

Post by Mark J Brelsford »

Rengokai gone wrong?? Or......

The Other Side of the Coin

I tell you, I have seen and heard lots in the past few days about how upset folks are that various Okinawan Masters are not coming, I for one am glad they are not! As a member of Oki Ku Kai (OKK), I am glad my teachers have decided to not attend a gathering sponsored by Soke. I base this on my knowledge of a culture that few Americans seem to understand; sorry to say it is very much a them and us world. I find it hard that for people that train in an Oriental based mindset, it appears that few truly understand how others might be thinking. Now I know many by now are running for the corners and diving under desks, but wait a second. "WE" are not members of Soke, and "WE" therefore do not want to attend a function not sponsored by OKK folks. Its that simple. For the folks that are taking this personally, its not, please don't read between the lines and try to make more out of something that it is not. I mean that's like being a diehard baseball fan, say for Boston, but you do your cheering at a game for New York. My basic question is… Why are folks worried about what some other group choices to do or not do?
Also I get a kick out about, these "bonds of friendship"… I again see this as a one sided event. Why I can remember folks saying they do not need the Okinawans, and now they are upset because they are not visiting them, go figure. Okinawans, like many Asians, have very strong moral values; they stand up for what they believe in, regardless of the cost. They are team players as one can see in the business world. Okinawans take the term FRIEND very seriously. Think about it, if the average person meets, shall we say, a fellow businessperson once a year (if lucky) and then only for a brief time, perhaps at an annual convention. Would you consider this person a friend? Not likely, more like an acquaintance perhaps. Some might not like this better term. Okinawan people are not quick to jump into such "Friendly" ideas. On the other hand, Americans seem to need this; perhaps to make themselves out to be more then they are, for their peer's sake or even for their students. Sad but in some cases true.
One last point, as for building bridges, it is much like kids in a playground. If one kid does not get along with his play mates, how many parents out there would tell their child to just ignore the other kid. You stay on your side of the fence and we'll stay on ours. If folks want to be friends then that's good, so be it. However, it seems like some might just be trying to make things happen that others want nothing to do with. Perhaps it's the drive of the ego or maybe for money, who knows. It seems like folks are making this out to be more then it should be, but I guess that's the American way.
Think about it!
Bill Glasheen

Karate DO

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Mark

Long time no hear from. Why the stranger for so long? Why do we hear from you now?

A few obvious points, Mark.

1) You too are American, Mark - whatever that is.

2) Your behavior - at times - is absolutely nothing like the behavior that you speak of and revere so much. But....that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't have you any other way, Mark. You wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun if you were different.

3) You are Mark Brelsford. You are one of a kind. The OKK is an organization of unique individuals that you choose to associate with.

4) I know for a fact that you do not speak for OKK members that I train with in the Mid-Atlantic area. In fact, we're having a get-together at an OKK dojo in 8 days. We're going to walk in the door, bow, and sweat together. Perhaps....you should stop by and join some time.

5) If I ever get to Providence some time and you aren't pissed at me for whatever reason, I plan on following through with my promise to buy the first round. And I don't give a &%$#@ what patch you wear.

My best

Bill
Mark J Brelsford

Karate DO

Post by Mark J Brelsford »

Hello Bill,
Hello, Mark

Long time no hear from. Why the stranger for so long?
Just busy with school and all...

Why do we hear from you now? Well, kinda tired of hearing my phone ring, figured I put this up instead so folks can see howI and some others feel.

A few obvious points, Mark.

1) You too are American, Mark - whatever that is.

Been one all my life, too.... Got paper to proof it!

2) Your behavior - at times - is absolutely nothing like the behavior that you speak of and revere so much. But....that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't have you any other way,Mark. You wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun if you were different.

Nothing to do with "them" these are my opinions, not others...you know me better then that Bill.

3) You are Mark Brelsford. You are one of a kind. The OKK is an organization of unique individuals that you choose to associate with.

And am Proud of it I might say!

4) I know for a fact that you do not speak for OKK members that I train with in the Mid-Atlantic area. In fact, we're having a get-together at an OKK dojo in 8 days. We're going to walk in the door, bow, and sweat together. Perhaps....you should stop by and join some time.

Now Bill, I never said I did speak for all, just Most Image...... I'd Love to come by if I am ever in the area, Thanks for the invite.

5) If I ever get to Providence some time and you aren't pissed at me for whatever reason, I plan on following through with my promise to buy the first round. And I don't give a &%$#@ what patch you wear.

I remeber the offer, don't forget easy...
Remeber my dojo is always open to all. Regardless of patch!!!!

Hope all is well, take care Bill.

Mark

All times are ET (US)
JOHN THURSTON

Karate DO

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hello all:

For what it's worth I am on the "Shohei-Ryu" thread.

There is a NAC-Soke dojo right around the corner.

The only thing I feel bad about is not having enough time to drop in at my friend's Dojo (Nac-Soke) more often.

Everything should sometimes be that simple.

We should be glad that there are as few "differences" between the two "threads" as there are.

JOHN T

------------------

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”