When you look back??

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

T Rose

When you look back??

Post by T Rose »

Enough about the politics of the past. Here is a simple question that resulted from a great lunch with Van Canna Sensie, and my friend Gary Khourey. In one, three, five years, when you sit back and reflect over a beer, where do you want to see Uechi-ryu? What did you do to help get it there? Where you an asset or just an ass? Did you increase the property value of Uechi-ryu and your dojo?

Here is my simplistic vision:
1) A Northeast regional workout held quarterly. Seniors working on the floor with juniors. A workout based on sweat and fun, the things memories are built on. The only criteria is that you are there for the love of the workout. After the workout, then maybe seminars with the seniors, but the workout is the feature.
2) A clean, dignified, world class Uechi tournament. We are approaching this.
3) A national team (kata and sparring) that can go anywhere in the world and bring our message: "we train hard, we are people of the floor"

How should we get there? We hold the first Northeast regional workout! We are looking for sites. If you are interested in being a part of this let us know...

It is time for this generation to put up.

T Rose
T Rose

When you look back??

Post by T Rose »

Mr. Derderian, we look forward to your participation and meeting you in person. The first workout will not be hosted by a particular dojo or association. It will be held in a gym off of 495 or 93 for easy access. All will be invited with the caveat that they line up and workout.

Doctor X:
It is a fantasitc idea (although not original). All we have to do now is implement. Anyone and everyone is welcome. We will be soliciting participation from all factions of Uechi. Yes, we will call schools with different patches and philosophies and ask them to participate. If they choose not to then they lose out. Maybe in the future they will participate.

Just the feedback is necessary. Teachers need to compare how well they are teaching their students. Some are better at conveying kata vs. kumite et cetera. We are having "GASP!" non-organizational visitors. They even [Say it is not so!--Ed.] teach some of the informal seminars! [My smelling salts!--Ed.]
It is going to be a workout, nothing more nor nothing less. No comparision other than crossing arms. The only feedback needed is what the student takes home with him/her from performing kumite/kata/sparring with 100 other motivated Uechi people!

The more the small-fry mix the better it will be. It will be hard for some seniors to behave, but, I thought, mature behavior was the mark of a senior!

The workout will be geared for all students regardless of rank. There will be no room nor tolerance for misbehavior. Yet, no misbehavior is expected. Uechi seniors know how to behave, they don't have to be reminded by myself or anyone else. Our seniors are examplatory.

The future could very well be a bunch of distinct "alphabet" self-promoting organizations facing state regulations. No one visits Okinawa and Okinawa does not visit us. Good practitioners choose other styles.
Dojos are "closed" without proper patches. A sad, sad but very possible future.

Who will be to blame? Regional workouts in the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast , West , Cananda etc... A represenative group selected from all regions to go to Okinawa.... Where is the downside? If nothing comes from this at least we had a few good workouts and memories. At least everyone will know who is on the floor and who is not.
gjkhoury

When you look back??

Post by gjkhoury »

I'm behind you, Tracy, and this concept 150%. Please tell me what I need to do to assist you and I pledge my unwaivering support of your efforts!

Respectfully,

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/khoury
T Rose

When you look back??

Post by T Rose »

Thank you Gary...
Who else wishes to get together and just workout, to start something? Where are all of you, at the new Star Wars movie? Where is your commitment, what do you stand for?

It starts with the floor.
Let's hear a "I'm in" from you!
Greg

When you look back??

Post by Greg »

Tracy,

Sounds like a wonderful idea! Unfortunately, unless this gets organized really quickly, I'll miss it (leaving town at the end of June) Image

Maybe I can coordinate visits back around those times!

greg
Bill Glasheen

When you look back??

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This all sounds great.

If anyone wants to learn from our Mid-Atlantic experiences, feel free to contact either myself, Nestor Folta, Bob Kaiser, or Rik Lostrito. There were some bumps in the beginning, but now it's no big deal. Several in my dojo really look forward to this workout/social event.

An event like this usually requires at least one if not a few obsessive/compulsives and organizers. In our area that would be Nestor. He's been a fantastic organizer and diplomat.

-- Bill
T Rose

When you look back??

Post by T Rose »

I believe we have the beginnings of a workout plan....

Gary wrote
1.)
Awesome, strong, right-on-the-money kata and techniques. (And as Van-sensei says, I am not talking about lining up for the Okinawans to be used as human Makiwara!)

2.) Hard-as-nails conditioning. You know that the average 4th or 5th dan on Okinawa has been engaged in hard practice for 15 some odd years. THEY WILL WANT TO CONDITION HARD when we/they visit. We HAVE to be able to meet them on their level.

3.) Free fighting. Anyone who has ever visited Okinawa has fallen victim to A.) The "hour long" body conditioning class, and/or B.)The never-ending congo line of sparring partners.
david

When you look back??

Post by david »

I've seen the Star Wars trilogy... Image I'll be there.

david
mikemurphy

When you look back??

Post by mikemurphy »

Tracy-san,

You can count on me and my dojo participating in such a worthwhile event. It's a great idea. Are you talking about quarterly workouts, bi-annually, or annually? And are you talking about cross-training at the same time or just Uechi?

Yours in Budo,

Mike
Lori

When you look back??

Post by Lori »

OK - now you've hit a nerve! I think that this is some very positive planning - working toward a continuation of our style - if not a re-unification! This is something we can ALL work for and toward - and you can count me in!

First: Regional workouts

I recognize and respect the wealth of talent and large numbers of Uechi-ka that reside in the Northeast. Granted - Florida has an interesting reputation - Georgia didn't have too much of a showing at the Atlanta Rengokai either - are there many Uechi practitioners there? What about the rest of the Southeast? What about the Midwest? The West? If we are talking about Regional workouts - then a call needs to be made to have them everywhere - not only in the hallowed halls of the Northeast! (No insult intended!) Perhaps regional workouts planned on a grander scale would do more for our sense of unity of style - regardless of the patch we all wear! I know of five Uechi Dojo within 2 hours drive from me - that wear FIVE different patches from different Uechi associations. Yet I have worked out with all of them under friendly circumstances - and hope to do so again. Count me in to help organize one in this area. Any takers for the midwest or the west?

Next: Regional Representation at a National Level

Why not hold these regional workouts quarterly or semi-annually - culminating in a national tournament/workout on a yearly basis? From the regional level - the end of each of these workouts could perhaps coordinate with quarterly regional tournaments to send fighters to the national Uechi-ryu tournament. These regional workouts could also be a rallying point to recruit members of the national Uechi team spoken of - drawing from all associations that care to participate.

I would also respectfully suggest that these regional workouts be held as non-political as possible - separate them in time and place from the camps - the camps are fantastic - and a great place for sharing and camraderie and memory-making - unfortunately each one carries a certain amount of political baggage - no matter how hard the organizers attempt to keep the politics out - each organization seems to come up with their own camps - for whatever reason. I encourage all of us to attend as many of these different camps as the budget will allow - regardless of political affiliation. But these workouts - held in a gym or other neutral place - will not have any political affiliation - I would suggest that the planning be headed by a group of organizers that contains representatives from as many associations or un-associations as can be enticed to join in the planning to encourage participation from the diverse organizations.

Let's hook it up - let's do it - count me in. Let's set up regional workouts on a national level. Just because we in the south are so far from the "heart" of Uechi-ryu up there in the great white north doesn't mean we don't want in! Any more of you s'uthner's with me on this?

Peace,
Lori
Raffi Derderian

When you look back??

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Have a Northeast workout? A great idea. I was priviledged a year ago to be a guest instructor at the regional workout in the Virginia area. They do this workout at various locations in this area quarterly. It was a great experience. Like the summercamp, a spirit of family and unity was felt throughout the entire day. Everyone worked hard and came away with a bit more knowledge and depth of the martial arts.
I think with all the Uechi schools in the Northeast, it shouldn't be hard to host quarterly workouts. Count me in to host one.
Great idea,
Raffi Derderian
Bill Glasheen

When you look back??

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ahem Lori-chan

Wealth of talent in the northeast? Isn't that a rather Ptolemaic point of view? Gee, what region did the winner of the Golden Gate Championships come from? Hint - not the northeast, and not the home-court-advantaged west.

I like your ideas, Lori. As I stated in another thread, a little competition is a good thing.

Do me a favor will you? Contact Bruce Hirabayashi. We can't get his butt up here to our mid-atlantic regionals. Some whining about the travel distance, family, etc, etc. Sound to me like we are defining a southeast corridor. With you and Bruce and Peggy and Frank and Bill et al, I think you have all you need.

-- Bill
T Rose

When you look back??

Post by T Rose »

Thank you, Lori. Now we're rocking. We should have a time and place for the first NorthEast Regional Workout by the end on next week.
No politics allowed, everyone who attends gets on the floor and trains.
Lori

When you look back??

Post by Lori »

Bill & Tracy-san's

Absolutely - I did not mean to slight any other geographic regions! It will be up to someone on the other coast to get the ball rolling over there - and what about Arizona? Other southwest states? The midwest? Perhaps the some movers and shakers up in the Northeast (who have most of the connections) could issue a general invitation - one that might also be mailed for those who are not active on the internet - just to put the call out.

I'll be happy to contact Bruce Hirabayashi (sp?) - please email me the best way to contact him. Peggy-san and Frank-san are already on the list - among others. I've already got a place - now I just need a date. Anyone in the Southeast interested - please email me. Again - anyone who does sanchin striking off the back foot will be invited. No politics - no seminars - just a workout. Please keep me posted on any developments as to regionals for the national tournament etc.

Peace,
Lori
Bill Glasheen

When you look back??

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yea, yea, Mike

As Milton Berle would say, "I know a good joke when I steal it."

Let's see now, who's Roger Clemens pitching for these days?....

And after all, Stanley knows we have better chi down here. Yea, that's the ticket!

-- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”