2nd generation

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

mikemurphy

2nd generation

Post by mikemurphy »

Since all this political garbage is out in the open and being discussed (which I think is a good thing...very informative), let me ask a few questions concerning those people who have studied since the 60s, but have not really been heard from on this topic (not openly anyway.

To make a long story short for those out there that know these people, please enlighten us to these instructor's point of view toward all the garbage:

Walter Mattson sensei
Jack Summers sensei
Charles Earle sensei
Frank Gorman sensei
Bob Campbell sensei
Jim Maloney sensei
Etc. (please add any name that I have missed...only early students of American Uechi.

BTW, I have spoken with several students of these people who seem to think like we do (very apolitical), yet tend to stay with their teacher's wishes.

Anyway, my curiosity has gotten the better of me again.

Yours in budo,

Mike
Bill Glasheen

2nd generation

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Woooaaahhh! You want us to comment on what other people think? How ridiculous, how absurd, how....tempting!

I can't tell you what other people think or how they feel. I can share a few observations:

Bob Campbell and Jim Malone: The most faithful (and competent and charismatic and...and..) students a teacher could ever want to have.

Frank Gorman: Loves his connection to Master Nakamatsu. Very willing to share if you show up at his dojo or he is a guest.

Jack Summers: Great man, great cross trainer (highly ranked in jiujitsu), great teacher. Never heard him speak negatively about anyone.

Charles W. Earle the third: I'm not going there.

Walter Mattson: Had a few opportunities to interact with him over many years. Simple man with great abilities and a large following. His attitudes and opinions and loyalties reflect his former military (Marine) background.

Of course you could always ask these gentlemen, and they'll likely give you a party-line answer. To get their real feelings, I would suggest: 1) show up at their dojo and sweat your *** off, and then 2) take them out to the local bar and make them "happy". That, by the way, is also the Japanese way.

- Bill
mikemurphy

2nd generation

Post by mikemurphy »

Bill-san,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I hope I didn't sound disrespectful to these legends of the Uechi world. All I wanted to ask was what their opinions on this whole things are. Do they speak them openly to anyone and are they willing to drop the long past differences and at least talk to people. I know they have their own following and such. I have spoken with several of them and have worked out with some as well. I was extremely impressed with all! I was just wondering if they have anything to say.
(and why won't you go near the Charles Earle topic...after reading his web page, it doesn't seem that he is shy about saying what he thinks).

Yours in budo,

mike
JOHN THURSTON

2nd generation

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Mike:

Jack Summers, as you may know, is my Sensei. His ego is such that he does not even like to be called "Sensei" in front of others. Like many Senseis, he does not need to be, although I disagree with him on this one point. He should be addressed as Sensei.

He just doesn't care for it, so nobody pushes the matter. That says something in several directions.

He is also an ex-marine.

His philosophy is probably best summed up by the T Shirt Logo inspired by J.D.. Yet he is considerate to a fault.

I just spoke with him as he was at a camp in Germany until 6/1/99.

If there was a particular question, I will ask it.

Let me go back and read your post.

JOHN

------------------

[This message has been edited by JOHN THURSTON (edited 06-05-99).]
Bill Glasheen

2nd generation

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mike

First of all, don't be concerned about my gentle ribbing. Yours is a damned good question, but one that is delicate in nature.

Second, I'm not Will Rogers. Let's just say I reserve the right to not get along with everyone on this earth. But that doesn't mean I need to speak badly of them. Besides, there are a few Earle-sensei offspring out there that I like a lot. I'd prefer to consider it my own shortcoming - and let others convince me otherwise :-).

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”