Reflecting well on ourselves and our peers

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gary Santaniello

Post by Gary Santaniello »

"How can i root for an underdog whose behavior commands no respect?" Surely you cannot, nor can you respect one in authority who reflects badly on their peers or juniors. We have little control over how people choose to act. Having read in pursuit of "The Way", subjects of Zen and Buddhism, and understanding how it relates to the philosophy of what i hope most of us understand through our trainning in karate-do, i think it is fair to say that most of us choose not to look within ourselves for improvement. The "Ego" is an "Attachment" for many of us and without a doubt, most difficult to
let go. Surely George Mattson Sensei has shown me that a man of such high rank and years of knowledge, having done all that he has for uechiryu karate can maintain a level of mutual respect for those not nearly as qualified as he himself. So i ask, why is it that certain others cannot? Simply put, they choose not to! As you said Bill, we have our own path to follow and not all will like us. But we desire that we be respected. How true! However, there is a phrase in buddhism that reffers to "The truth, the way things really are!" Simply put, things will be as they are. All people will not live up to our expectations of what we believe in nor will they care who they offend or hurt. A simple fact. With all do respect to those who do truely understand "The Way" and practice it with respect, i applaud you! For those that speak of it yet practice it not, remember that, all things come around in time!

------------------

Gary S.

Gary S
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

With some of the political activities going on over the past few decades as well as some of the activity of a few annoying (even if harmless) flamers, my understanding of what we are, what we represent, and limits of behavior have begun to evolve.

I, of all people, represented a bit of the "anti-establishment" activity in the seventies and even the eighties. While I could mingle with about any group, my heart was with those who dared to challenge the norms and question authority. Much of my feelings evolved from being part of a generation that was asked to fight a war that our country did not have its heart (or mind or ethics) properly applied. And as I spoke up for what I felt was right (and I wasn't always right), I got accused of being a commie and a f** and a N***** lover and whatever other convenient label that deamonized me sufficiently. And spending time in academia certainly put me at odds with another whole set of folks who felt that the ivory-tower types had their heads in the clouds (and a few other places). Never mind that I was in science and math and medicine and not into politics.

I was fortunate to start Uechiryu with an individual who was a bit anti-establishment himself. Rad Smith never wore much more than a gi bottom in class. He was more comfortable writing poetry than wearing his black belt around his waist. Never mind that he could literally bounce me off the walls in the dojo. Actually Rad and I both found peace in the dojo training our aggressions rather than expressing the anger and frustrations that came along with minority views (at that time).

And yes, I've done other "anti-establishment" things that I'd rather forget about. Thankfully youth is forgiving and most of us escape our mistakes unscathed and with our morals intact.

But for all the time that I took abuse from idiots and cretins and those in positions of authority who abused it, I never felt a need to step over the line and give dignity to the behavior that I abhorred in my adversaries. And for the few times that I engaged in civil disobedience, I felt it my duty to pay the consequences of my actions. Why? Because I wasn't rebelling for rebellion's sake. Whether right or wrong, I felt I held the moral high ground and felt the obligation to myself and my cause to represent myself in a dignified manner.

As age has marched forward (I'm not that old) and opportunities have followed my years of hard work, I have come to represent groups that I once felt at odds with. As such, I often find myself identifying with the outsider. I don't pretend that a person working for a health insurance company or for that matter someone who is visible in the martial arts community is liked by everyone. I don't feel a need to be liked - only to be respected. I have my own vision and my own path and my own moral compass to feed my emotional need to be recognized. Yes, I can be hurt by the senseless behavior of others, but my experience and my scruples allow me to recover quickly. So my lack of need to be loved by everyone and my own rebellious nature make it a little easier to see through the eyes of those who can't see through my own.

But every once in a while I see behavior that baffles me. Yes, I remind myself that emotional behavior does not need to be rational. But sometimes when I see experienced, grown adults who are in a position of authority behave like children, it still baffles me. It's one thing to reflect badly on oneself. It is another thing as an authority figure to have the ablilty to reflect badly on all one's juniors. And still another matter to reflect badly on one's peers.

I sometimes wonder if some understand the damage they do. I sometimes wonder if some understand the concept of legacy. And I sometimes wonder why friends would allow their fellow practitioner to embarrass themselves so badly - all in the name of some undefined cause. It's one thing to represent a minority view or to be an outsider. It's still another to do so with no moral compass whatsoever.

And all it does is make me feel badly for them. How can I root for an underdog whose behavior commands no respect?

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”