Respect to all ranks!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gary Santaniello

Respect to all ranks!

Post by Gary Santaniello »

With the "Summer Camp" being so close i must reflect upon an experience of one of my students at last years camp.

Here is an adult white belt with a few months of time in, intimidated enough just being around everyone there. I suggest to him that he partake in a workshop on "Basic Sanchin" whom i know not which instructor taught (sorry) and during a drill he pairs up wth a "black belt" whom looks down on him wth a sigh and facial expression of disappoinment. Then throughout this same workshop, this same black belt interrupts the instructor as to "correct" him on what he is teaching.

I could only reassure my student that this individual was an --- ----! However, it brings me to this, be you a "jukyu" or "master rank" there is no reason not to show "respect" to all regardless of how "high up" in the ranks one may be. I understand the arrogance of some that cannot be helped but "we" should set the example of "commradity".

It may seem bold of me to make such statements, but someone needs to. Surely some of the young dan's are feeling good and confident in their accomplishments but there is a long way to go. We need to be a bit sensitive to one another, regardless of the ranks we hold. Both inside of the dojo and outside of it.

Yes, we are there to work out! I have heard it said, " we aren't here to make friends". It was once said to me that " We are not buddies, pals or friends. I am your sensei and you are a student, thats were the line is drawn and don't forget it!" I never have nor am i any longer "there". We need not be that way to eachother.

Does not "Do - The Way" mean something more than how good we are in karate in the physical sense? Certainly it does to many of us. No! "the way" does not mean "my way"!

Being human we do not all see eye to eye nor does our chemistry always present a desire to know one another, but the "attitude" that some carry that they are much to good for others surely is wrong.

I hope that many of you agree with me on this subject and that we can set the exampe not only of how to be, but also how "not" to be!

"Hey, sensei! who are those guys over there wearing yellow stripes and old beat up belts? Well my student, those are "master ranks" guys that have been around for 30 to 40 years. Oh, i see.

No dissrespect intended here, but many feel that some of the highest ranked most respected instructors are "unapprochable" as human beings. I also felt that way for many years. Surely respect can be maintained without walls between us?

Looking foward to "summer camp" and your replies!

------------------
Gary S.
Allen M.

Respect to all ranks!

Post by Allen M. »

Hello, Gary,

Don't judge a book....

Maybe it is my age talking, but it is stupid to bow to false icons. Always look to the person first, then only if applicable, the rank (the cover).

If a person is unapproachable as a human being, don't. Summer camp is too short.

...and good luck at the summer camp.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Bill Glasheen

Respect to all ranks!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gary

What a timely post. Unfortunately these kinds of things need to be said.

I have a talk with my own students before they come to camp. Basically I tell them they are going there to pick up information, and not to impress others with what they know. I use a particular example to illustrate my point. As I tell it, a teacher may tell you to do something that is different from what I taught you. "I do not want to hear that you said But my teacher told me that...." I tell them they are there to shut up and see other points of view. And I tell them this is an opportunity to bring new points of view back into our dojo, or to ponder their instructor's sylistic preferences and consider their own future path. "If at first you don't agree with a point of view, smile and try it anyway. You may change your mind later. And if later on you don't like it, well then you are free to discard the information."

No need to kiss up here. These are purely pragmatic and selfish reasons to turn the reigns completely over to another instructor and give him/her a chance to express views.

The only exception I make to this rule is if someone asks a student to do something that they consider dangerous. There were some macho-men at one camp that were involved in some questionable cross-training practices. I saw more than one individual carried off the field with an injury. Outside of safety considerations, all information should be given a chance, and the messengers should be respected while they have the stage.

I'll tell you an insteresting anecdote that is the exact opposite experience that your student observed. For two years, Simon Lailey was asked to teach the Fuzhou superinpei, and for those two years, he did not show up at the beginning of camp. Simon, by the way, was the first non-Chinese person to see and learn the form, and the first to perform it outside of China. The first year, George informed me that I was to take Simon's place. After I changed my drawers (I had only seen the form on videotape), I agreed and held the class - with great success. In the middle of the second camp where I was asked to pinch-hit, I noticed this quiet, smiling character sitting in the background. I thought nothing of it, and continued to bring the class all the way through the form. Then the individual quietly came up to me, and introduced himself as Simon Lailey. He watched me teach a whole class on a very lengthy form that I had only observed on videotape. He watched me teach a half dozen or so flagrant errors. And he just quietly came up and introduced himself, and asked what he could do to help. What a class act!

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”