Politics: Another perspective

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Doug Smith asked me to post this for him. I thought the content deserved it's own 'thread'. GEM

Sensei Mattson; Please post the following on the forum of your choice. . .

With regard to the suggestions put forward by Sensei Mattson I would like to submit the following: I believe the political structure in Uechi-Ryu is flawed in that for several years people with less than perfect ethical backgrounds have slipped through the cracks into positions of power.

A standard structure encompassing all groups can never be implemented because these people were allowed to progress in rank. Perhaps if all ranks above godan were eliminated this power would be removed from certain individuals.

The Okinawans provide a necessary escape route for practitioners who have been subject to these power junkies and need to get away from cult like environments. The Okinawans also make mistakes by accepting students who have their own political agenda.

I don't think this can be avoided without slamming the door in the faces of those who are truly in need. Without the "Okinawan option" many of us would have quit Uechi-Ryu altogether. The Okinawans believe karate is too important to deny anybody a teacher.

Some Okinawan seniors have a reputation for accepting people nobody else will. They think even the worst of individuals can be salvaged.

I don't think most Okinawans separated from the main group because they were looking for power. I think that when Kanei Uechi died there were suddenly dozens of different and equal opinions about how things should be done.

The Shohei-Ryu name change alone caused several splits but they all still work out together and party together. Some went their separate ways because they believed the standards were being compromised. It appears to me that the only ones isolated were those who became obsessed with power and let their egos get out of control.

In Okinawa, my teacher often takes me to Pangainoon, Kenukai, Okikukai, and Zankai dojos for training and a different perspective. In Edmonton we have three Soke, two Hozonkai, and two Shohei-Ryu dojos. Members of all dojos train and socialize together. It seems to me that it is the same as in Okinawa, just colder here.

The death of Kanei Uechi meant the end of Uechi-Ryu as we knew it. While some seniors (Kiohide Shinjo comes to mind) are on a personal crusade to re-unite the factions, I think the efforts will be fruitless.

We should look at the current situation as a positive forward step in the development of the style and continue our efforts to train and hang out with each other as much as we can. Those who try to divide and build their own little empires will soon be left in isolation.

Doug Smith Edmonton, Canada
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

The first New England Regional Workout, hosted by Tracy Rose, promises to bring Uechika together.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Dear Doug and/or Sensei,

If it is true that Kyohide Shinjo Sensei is trying to reunite the groups, wouldn't it be appropriate to invite him to the summer camp where there will be literally hundreds who agree with him. It would be a wonderful place to start and I'm sure everyone would prosper.

Just a suggestion.

Yours in budo,

Mike
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shinjo Kiyohide interested in uniting all factions? I never knew that to be true. I was always under the (mistaken??) impression that they (the Kenyukai) were happily doing their own thing.

Nonetheless, I'll work out with anyone who wears a gi and sweats, and welcome anyone who wishes to bring people together. We have good relations with the local Kenyukai crowd (Rik Lostrito).

And I wouldn't mind seeing Shinjo sensei again. He tells great stories. Martial skills aren't bad either (understatement of the year).
- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”