A rather long discussion (pardon me) on Faith, quackery and

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The angry man will defeat himself in battle as well as in life.

- samurai maxim

I can defeat you physically with or without a reason. But I can only defeat your mind with a reason.

- Jim Lau
Bob

Post by Bob »

My years as semi-thug in my teens seems to have conditioned my judgement more than I would have supposed. My insensitivity is pointed out to me by the entire crowd - again I apologize to the wounded Dr. X. As a generic male it seems to me that such a comment was not as harsh as everyone seems to think it was, pardon my not being more considerate of a fellow martial artists tenderness.
In fact let me recant my previous position in order to placate the good doctor. ***Booooiiiiing**** inspiration strikes me.
How could I have been so blind? Now I see the light - drugs and surgery are the keys to health. Geez it all makes sense now.
Its funny, when I first read of Babara Stanfields J of the Am Med Assoc article regarding her Johns Hopkins study in which she revealed that the USA was ranked at the bottom of the list on a world wide scale when comparing life expectancy, infant mortality, low birth weights, and primary care services I thought it might have been valid. But now I know since it disputes medications and surgery - it was merely a fallacious attempt to overturn cherished beliefs.
And Charles Marwicks article in the August 20, 1997 issue of the J of the Am Med Assoc called "proponants gather to discuss practicing evidence based Medicine" in which he states "To be sure, a great deal of health care cannot be related to a strong scientific foundation". How could I not see that such was a communist attempt to allow new agers to pervert our country?
And statistics such as those compiled by the US Bureau of the Census that shows that the USA dropped from 24th in 1987 in terms of infant survival (ranked behind Spain) to last place (ranked behind Slovenia) in 1994, how could I not see that this was mere subterfuge to cover up the great strides made in medicine.
Science is when a study proves a drug helps with ulcers, but it is only sham research that proves spinal manipulation benefits same disease. I am grateful to finallyknow what science IS .... now if I can only learn about double standard...er...uh..I mean double blind studies.
Obviously meditation, diet, exercise all cannot have an impact on health. Drugs and surgery are the only answers. I must lobby so that every US citizen will have a new surgery and drug added each year of their life. At one year of age one drug and surgery, at 60 years of age they need to have 60 medications and 60 surgeries. Since the US has more drugs and surgeries performed than any other country in the world we must be the healthiest. Drugs and surgery are the only way to achieve optimum health and happiness. -NOT!
Seriously though... I am rather callus at times. What I find funny perhaps others do not. It is very hard to apologize for such an incident. It was not meant to be as hurtful as it sems to have been taken. Often things in retrospect are seen clearer. Perhaps soon my offense will seem as offensive to me.
As a teen I remember being at a party with a friend of mine named Dan. Although several of my High School friends had/have killed people, Dan was the youngest that I knew that had done so, killing someone before he could drive. At this party someone mouthed to him and of course Dan beat him up. This guy came back later with some friends saying that Dan shouldn't have beaten him up. At the time, myself, knowing that Dan had a revolver in his pants (as he always did in public) felt that actually Dan had been pretty nice. Now as a thirty something generic male I realize that Dan and I were punks.I am sure in retrospect I too will see that my tease of Dr.X's reply will seem as shocking to me to.
This is not meant to be an excuse... but roughness at times does not seem so rough to me. This old attitude of mine is still often the chagrin of my wife when we are in public. An education may take the ruffian out of the street, but it does not take the street out of the ruffian. I will try not to insult or be sarcastic after this post. I am sure that I am being hurtful even when it does not seem so to myself.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 07-09-99).]
Collin Warder

Post by Collin Warder »

Bob:

Don't beat yourself up over nothing. A few misspoken words? Is this discourse that we engage ourselves in? Admitidly, your choice of verbage was rather bruttish, but sometimes it takes a little dirt kicking to show that you are truly adamant about your position. We aren't in a live debate here and a Image simply won't do to show that we might be teaming with bliss. I don't propose that we throw rhetorical sensitivity out the door, but I do suggest that we live and let live. I like to think that with maturity comes the ability to propel a disscusion to new levels of insight, rather than hindering its flow by dwelling on the frivolous. Of course, who the hell am I to say these things?

-Collin
Bob

Post by Bob »

Oh...My...Gosh.....7/10/99 and still another post on the subject of my hurtful words to Dr. X. (Bob is thinking : I could use humor here and attempt to gain points with the moderator since he said that wins points with him - but hey, why do I need to please anyone here? I promised not to be sarcastic - so I will speak straight up. I promised to be polite, but at the same time I have always been the type of person to speak my mind. Hhmmm) Geez......My dad was a prisoner at some of the toughest POW camps in Nazi Germany (Dulag Luft, Nuermburg, Stalag Luft III, etc) and he cried less about how HE was mistreated. Your inherent thin skinnedness leaves me to think among other things you were either : a only child or the only boy in a family of girls. Aquainted with coddling are we? Parents paid for our college education? Never been in the military or at least hazed in a fraternity?
Also something to consider - the way everyone feels the need to come to your rescue. There are 2 extremes on the spectrum of being respected and liked. On one end is the town drunk and on the other is the town bully (which I tended to be growing up). The town drunk was well liked but not respected. The town bully was respected but not liked. Both were given a wide berth when ever they entered a room.
If I had confidence (therefore respect) in a karate students ability and they faced a verbal or physical confrontation, I would not interfere. I would let them take care of it themselves. On the other hand if I had little confidence in them, percieved them as weak and needed pampering, I would jump in and try to defend them. Percieved as weak by those who know you well?
One way to tell - if after I post this mildly confrontational post (and it is only mild. Believe you me X, this is polite) will people come and try to build you back up? Nurture you?
You are very well liked. Even Lori says you are a "nice" guy. Of course she feels the need to defend you as well.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This thread is being closed by the moderator because:

* It is now 25 posts long, and so is too unwieldy to read beyond that length.

* The original (and very enjoyable) thread has lost its focus.

* When it comes to an adolescent argument, the last word is mine, MINE, MINE.

This thread is worthy of another, with focus redirected toward the topic.

- The Moderator

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”