Uech Camp Necessities

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Last year I believe we had a thread like this, and it was very helpful. I'll start it again and hope that a number of the people who have their own check list will chime in. Oh, and this doesn't need to be completely serious.

Think you know everything you need for camp? Perhaps you have forgotten these items:

* Sun tan lotion. And don't forget to put some on the tops of your feet!!

* Drink containers.

* A hat (with visor) to shield the sun. Usually these can be purchased at camp. Those with fair (red headed??) complexions may want the really wide-brimmed variety.

* Workout shoes?? Unless it rains, we will likely have all workouts outdoors on the grass. I have found that teaching for 4 hours + per day can be hard on the bottom of the feet.

* Detergent that removes dirt and grass stains. Or....you might try the green gis that can be ordered from Kwon. But you can expect Sensei Maloney to ask you to perform janatorial services.

* One perfectly white gi that you use only for the picture.

* Shower slippers. You can practically see the athletes foot fungi growing on the shower floors.

* If you aren't picky about food and are hungry, expect to be in heaven. If you are very picky, well...bring the stomach remedies. It's cafeteria food.

* Ear plugs. The Canadians will be singing at night.

* Business cards.

* A gym bag to take out into the field - with a lock.

* Camera and lots of film. But...generally George doesn't allow video cameras, thanks to a certain someone who decided to sell his videos online without asking permission first (or sharing in the proceeds).

* Analgesics

* Insect repellent (DEET) for early-morning sanchin on the beach.

.....and the list goes on.
gmattson
Site Admin

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by gmattson »

All good points Bill. Especially the Sun Tan lotion. With the wind and salt air, you won't feel anything during the day, but if you have fair skin, you will probably get a burn.

We see it every year. . . People on Friday morning saying how they don't need lotion, then moaning the next day, looking like a lobster!

By the way, there are some really fine restaurants within a few miles of the Maritime Academy. Seafood is great!

------------------
GEM
RACastanet

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by RACastanet »

Hmmmmm.... Lets see, what else is important. Oh yes, I bring some toilet paper (extremely important), tissues, coat hangers, soap, alarm clock (a loud one or you miss sanchin at 6:30 am), ditto earplugs (Glasheen sensei snores), every kobudo weapon that fits in the car, cheap rain jacket, ace bandage, bandaids, ....... and do not forget extra $ to spend at the store or to pick up a copy of Evan or Raffi senseis' latest videos.

Any other things I may have missed? How about a lot of quarters for the washers and dryers for those dirty white gis.

Regards, Rich
mikemurphy

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by mikemurphy »

Don't forget a small fan for your room. Even though you are on the water, it can get extremely muggy out there.

Mike
RACastanet

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by RACastanet »

Excellent idea Mike.The rooms are stuffy and late July is HOT! I'm going to put one in my 'trip' pile as soon as I sign off.
Thanks, Rich
Allen M.

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by Allen M. »

Bill,

Anyone we both know who sold camp videos on-line? I'd like to know who that person is for my reference.

I shoot videos each year at the summer camp and have never even as much as lent anyone a copy, except either the originals or a copy to George,

Every summer at camp I receive requests for videotapes, and although I'd like to oblige, my answer is always the same "Ask Sensei Mattson."

Anyone who is fortunate enough to receive permission and grace from Sensei Mattson to videotape should honor and abide by his wishes. Anything less is betrayal of trust in my book.

Allen

P.S. George. I'll dump the DV tapes onto Hi-8s for you the week after camp.

To continue George's comment on restaurants, there is a good seafood restaurant just under the bridge on the left, under the bridge past the traffic circle. There is also an outstanding seafood restaurant right near the mouth of the canal on the cape side. At least it was outstanding when I used to sail throught the canal years ago.

(Ode to the Adventurous) Driving on the cape during rush hour is the same as being in a parking lot. Avoid 5pm times like the plague if you are going toward either the Sagamore or the Bourne bridges.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 07-23-99).]
gjkhoury

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by gjkhoury »

Guys and Gals:

Let's face it: The research shows that you don't really need ANY of this stuff. Just "butter up" Susan and make sure you get a room close to Bill and Rich!

They're pretty good guys; they'll probably let you sleaze a few of thier most important supplies for a day or two.

At least that's what I'M counting on this year!

See ya there!

Gary
Lori

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by Lori »

For those of you adventurous (or crazy) enough to bring young children: (yes it IS possible - I managed with a two-year old last year)

o A portable playpen - with an attachable shade - doubles as a safe place to sleep
o Stroller (it's quite a hike from the dorm to the field with a little one in tow.
o Contact Susan well in advance to talk about babysitting options (they are available)
o Extra cash for the babysitting
o A fan is a great idea - the rooms can be very hot and if you've got a young one with you - you won't want to leave the window wide open. If you're local you might even want a baby gate so you can prop your door open and get some cross ventilation.
o Sunblock and hats for the munchkins as well!
o Extra washcloths for "baby baths" in the sink in the room - and some type of bathroom disinfectant/cleaner if you're manic about germs.
o Special dietary needs - plan for no refridgeration
o Lots of patience!

It CAN be done with advance planning - don't miss camp because you're not sure about bringing the kids. Of course a lot depends on the kid and you and temperament and other factors. You are the best judge. But I found the camp atmosphere friendly and welcoming - and George Sensei and Susan went out of their way to be helpful and accomodating.

Good luck and have fun!
Lori
david

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by david »

Lori San,

Doesn't sound like you are coming this year.

david
natalie lane

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by natalie lane »

Don't forget your cooler for cold beverages in your room, and a musical instrument if you play one!

You guys must have been waiting for a Canadian to post those things.

Natalie
Bill Glasheen

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Allen

The "pirate" referenced above is "R.M." He also borrowed George's 16 mm films of master Uechi, had them copied, and then started marketing them. All "for the good of the style" of course. Yea, right.

All it takes is for one jerk to abuse trust to make life more difficult for everyone.

Bill
Gene DeMambro

Uech Camp Necessities

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I just heard the weather report for this weekend:

Hot (90+) and hazy! Possible T-storms Saturday.

Drink LOTS of water, lest you run a foul of Dr. X's Law of Pee.

See you there!

Gene

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”