lost opportunities

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

mikemurphy

lost opportunities

Post by mikemurphy »

To all,

The other day (Wednesday)after class, I was chatting with Gary S. outside the dojo. Now Gary is not a "member" of the dojo (although we think of him as family), but comes up every so often just to work out with us and share his viewpoints on various topics (whatever I am working on in class). Anyway, we were talking about how strange it is that people do not take advantage of certain opportunities concerning training.
In other words, how many times have we been invited to visit someone else's dojo and have not?
We all have excuses why we do not do this. (Mine is that I teach six days a week and it is very difficult to get coverage at my dojo for all classes :-( ) And for the most part they are all very legitimate. However, what are we losing by doing this? How much information could we missing out on?
I, for one, am going to start taking advantage of this, even if I have to start closing my dojo for a day here and there. I feel it will make me and my dojo better in the long run. But I guess the quesion is how many other people out there fall into the same trap?

Just wonderin'

Yours in budo,

Mike
david

lost opportunities

Post by david »

Mike,

For what it's worth, I DO PLAN on visiting your dojo. It's a matter of coordinating my schedule with my wife's. I have scheduled my life around early morning classes. Weekends are always iffy with my kids and a real treat when I can get to a class.

But things achanging.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited 07-18-99).]
RACastanet

lost opportunities

Post by RACastanet »

Great point Mike sensei. We venture out of Richmond five or six times a year and without fail bring something new or different back to the dojo. Since Bill G. sensei started this practice 3 or 4 years ago our group has actually evolved into a different place, sometimes even changing the emphasis on certain aspects of kata or training.

Rich
Evan Pantazi

lost opportunities

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Mike San,

I totally agree with you on seeing new interpetations (Schools, Seminars and other Martial Arts)on a regular basis. Aside form the learning experience it keeps one humble and open minded, as each time you learn something you should have figured out for yourself years ago. The time off sometimes can weaken your own school, but in the long run it strenghtens everyone.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
www.erols.com/kyusho
Bill Glasheen

lost opportunities

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I would argue that you cannot afford NOT to do these visits. You will NOT weaken your school with a break of routine here and there.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with the former strength coach at UVa. I had gone to him - because of his generosity - to help design a supplemental weight training program for our karate classes. Instead of just giving me a list of exercises, the first thing he wanted to do was to read up on my activity. Then he wanted me to write up a yearly plan of all the activities for my class. As part of that, he told me about the importance of working in cycles - phase by phase - and then taking time off inbetween cycles. He emphasized that these time off periods were often as important as the competition or training phases. He referred to these periods as "active rest". The idea was to break out of the mold and go do something completely different. I have found these periods to be fertile grounds for acquiring new ideas, rethinking old ways, and just plain getting a break to get the batteries recharged. Without them, you and your students risk burnout, increased frequency of injuries, and "time capsule" karate practice.

All of the great movers and shakers get out of their surroundings and mingle with others. Where would this style be if Uechi Kanbun had never left Okinawa? Basically it wouldn't exist.

- Bill
Gary Santaniello

lost opportunities

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Hi Mike,

Thank you for allowing me to come by your dojo to work out with you and your students. Certainly it is a pleasure for me as you have a high "spirited" class which i find very enjoyable.

I also respect your ability to allow my opinions to be be shared although they may differ somewhat from yours in that we do not conflict as a result of them.
Certainly your ability to utilize your Jujitsu knowledge into uechi-ryu is very beneficial to your students. Please know that i am also learning some"viewpoints" from you that make my visits very
interesting. You certainly have my respect as a fellow karateka and as an instuctor.

Regarding others visiting dojo's is very difficult for many, as you said. I have the liberty to were as my "obligations" are few. For many who have full time dojo's as yourself and families, it is difficult. Not to mention the time and distance involved to get to anothers dojo.

I might add that although i would like to visit more schools, i tend to believe that many instructors would "not" welcome other ideas or veiws in that they may conflict with their teaching and/or confuse the student who is not "capable" of various applications out of one technique. I think that the "EGO" factor is still very predominate in many even though they would deny it ?

I have students that are still striving to be shodans that have difficulty with dan kumite or perfecting other drills. Although i do (as you) get into variations with them, for most beginners and some advanced students, variety of techniques is to complicated for some to adapt to.

Could it be that many of us do not visit eachother due to the who's "right or wrong" conflict ? Certainly you and i were fortunate enough to be mature and non-egotistic about the whole thing. It is only right that a "visitor" should ask first if ones views be o.k. to share in class. Then again they should both be instructors with open views for this to be possible.

Should a student visiting another school interject their opinions ? I feel not, unless asked. The idea of visiting is to "learn" more from another, not to show
that ones own veiws are better or that they know more.

Surely we should try to work together as
practicioners seeking to learn more. We must try to put ego's, politics and business aside.

Was any of this needed to be said ? I think so.

See you soon!

------------------
Gary S.
Gene DeMambro

lost opportunities

Post by Gene DeMambro »

From the Good Doctor:

"Should a student visiting another school interject their opinions ? I feel not, unless asked. The idea of visiting is to "learn" more from another, not to show that ones own veiws are better or that they know more."

I went to FLA a a month ago for personal business. I brought my gi along, and found a Uechi/Shohei school where I stayed. I called ahead of time and participated in class that night. The instructor, coincidently, was also a pharmacist from Massachusetts. After each exercise and kata, he would ask me if I had any comments or training tips for the class. SInce I was highest rank in class (it was a brown/green belt class), I quickly offered what we do at my school.

Point being is he asked my opinion and I offered advice to the lower ranks. I would have kept my mouth shut otherwise.

I had fun, hopefully they learned from the differences I exposed them to, and a good time was had by all.

Gene
Kevin Mackie

lost opportunities

Post by Kevin Mackie »

I had the opportunity to visit Mike's Dojo last night and I'm thankful for the chance.

The best part about the visit was learning new things. If he had just done basic Uechi kata and bunkai, it would have been just another workout, I would have thanked him, left and that would have been the end of the experience. However, he put the class through a session in footwork techniques used in attacks which were mostly new to me and very effective for closing in quickly. These are techniques I can take with me to work on that I did not have before. I'm sure I looked as though I had two left feet most of the time, but hey, that's part of learning.

Kevin
mikemurphy

lost opportunities

Post by mikemurphy »

To all,

Once again I had the priviledge of having a good friend visit the dojo and share some insight with us. Sensei Danny G. (sorry Dan but I can't spell your last name) came up and worked out with us in preparation for the summer camp. Gary S. was there as well as this is becoming a regular thing. It sure is a good thing to share in each other's experiences. Helps put things into perspective. Anyway, thanks Dan and Gary! Hey, still waiting on you David???? :-)

Yours in Budo,

Mike
Gary Santaniello

lost opportunities

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for having me in your class. Always a pleasure. It was a pleasant surprise to run into Danny Gadowski there as well. As i have had the opportunity to work out with him in previous classes at sensei Mattsons in Newton.

Now that i gave you his last name "spelling" maybe the next time i visit, you won't keep us "kneeling" so long ? Us older guys don't get up so well after 10 or 15 minutes. Funny huh? See you in about 10 years buddy.

See you saturday at camp!!!

------------------
Gary S.
mikemurphy

lost opportunities

Post by mikemurphy »

Gary-san,

Maybe we should work some Jujitsu from idori position in order to work that seiza? :-) Like you said, better get it now while I still can.

Cya,

Mike

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”