A Question of Balance

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

A Question of Balance

Post by Bill Glasheen »

....with apologies to the Moody Blues

In reference to the many ways people practice Uechi Ryu, a martial artist who frequents this forum often states "Sanchin is still off the rear foot."

Let's take this basic thrusting motion. In sanchin kata, most maintain a 50/50 weight distribution during the thrust. But watch your classic western boxer, or - better yet - that authority of all fighters the certified aerobic kickboxer. In this classic right thrust, the body is rotated slightly, and the attacker clearly comes up onto the ball of the rear foot. Check out a classic pose in Arthur Rabesa's Kumite book, where he's splitting a taped bag with a right rear punch. Yep, look at that back foot. Presumably when one does this, one is putting more than 50% of the weight on the front leg.

Nobody is arguing about the power generated by such a technique.

A good buddy of mine who trained in the Kadena dojo taught me a series of sparring exercises that involved both movement and thrusts. The most remarkable thing I can tell you about the series of training exercises was that very often one thrusted with the front leg sliding forward, and virtually all the weight (and power generation) coming off the rear leg. These exercises combined forward movement with a conscious effort to keep weight off that front leg.

Why bother to bring it up? Over a decade ago I had Bob Campbell visit my dojo when I was at UVa. During one of his classes, he demonstrated one of his classic, favorite takedowns for an advancing, attacking opponent. Basically he used that move in seiryu kata to take out the front leg. It works best....when the attacker has 50% or more of the weight on the front leg. That can be accomplished by pulling it there, or relying on your opponent to shift his/her weight forward.

Of course you can't attack a boxer's legs, or throw him for that matter. And the kickboxing aerobics crowd? Need I say anything?

With the advent of WKF rulse sparring, I note a lot of good fighters using this classic boxer's weight shift onto the front leg. Some may not know they are doing it; it's definitely there though.

Just wondering what others feel about this.

- Bill
Kevin Mackie

A Question of Balance

Post by Kevin Mackie »

My guess on the foot positioning is that one is making a trade off on power versus stability. When you place most of your weight on one foot, you can be thrown off balance easily. As you pointed out, boxers can't take advantage of this by throwing or kicking the leg. Martial artists in a defensive situation have to realize that that one punch (strike) may not end the fight and to be ready for a counter attack. This is where a stable platform will make or break you.
Rick Wilson

A Question of Balance

Post by Rick Wilson »

"A good buddy of mine who trained in the Kadena dojo taught me a series of sparring exercises that involved both movement and thrusts. The most remarkable thing I can tell you about the series of training exercises was that very often one thrusted with the front leg sliding forward, and virtually all the weight (and power generation) coming off the rear leg. These exercises combined forward movement with a conscious effort to keep weight off that front leg."

I ask my students how much they paid for gravity today. It's free use it. What you described is something I have been working on.

Rick
Gene DeMambro

A Question of Balance

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Anyone who fights Mike Murphy Sensei will be amazed at the number of ways he has of sweeping you onto your backside! You need to keep your weight no less than 50/50, otherwise, you're toast.

It used to be a commonly held thought that shut-putters/discus throwers/javelin throwers, and even I bet baseball pitchers and quartebacks, generate their power from the rear foot. Not true. They generate their power from their front foot. Same holds true, I'd imagine, for a karate strike with the upper extremities.

Maybe this is something someone should ask Rabesa Sensei, next time he's in town.

Gene
david

A Question of Balance

Post by david »

I tend to take a 55/45 stance with weight on the front. I find sliding in, pushing off the rear and simultaneously executing the strike gives me the most power and the most effect if I connect.

Does it have weaknesses? Sure, in so much as every move presents a weakness. This is the ebb and flow of an attack. The question is whether the opponent has the ability to see it and take advantage of it, and vise versa.

Even with a 50/50 stance, there is a moment of instability at the time of movement that a good skilled sweeper can take advantage.

A 40/60 stance which is favored by kickers and the like is succeptible to a sweep combination. Take a crack at his front leg which won't take him down but set him up for the follow up sweep to the rear leg. The question is can one do it before he beats you to it with a kick off his front (unweighted) leg. Again, the skills of the respective individuals determine the outcome.

For me, a 55/45 works in the sense of reflecting on and enhancing a mindset of attack. I want to be in on the opponent and to stay on him until he is down or helpless. Have I been swept down by skilled opponents? Sure... BobC, Clarence and some others. Does this make the stance weak? No. Not anymore than any other stance where the above mentioned would have taken advantage of the weaknesses therein anyways. Simply, they are more skilled.

david
Bill Glasheen

A Question of Balance

Post by Bill Glasheen »

David

Your analyses are appreciated.

I just wanted to comment about your perception of the kickers and their weight distribution. You mentioning getting past the front leg (bearing less than 50% of the weight) and going for the rear support leg. Isn't it interesting that katas seichin through sanseiryu in the Uechi system teach how to utilize the same weight distribution. All of them have movements with leg lifts of the front leg. And they have an answer (the seisan jump) to your attack of the rear leg. But then they are more focused with simple, low front kicks.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”