Tea-Bee

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gene DeMambro

Tea-Bee

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I GOT IT!!!

After much time of reflection (about as much time as Tae-Bo people practice punching), I FINALLY figured out the secret to Tae-Bo. John V. may wish to add to his secret scrolls...

If someone attacks you, RUN. Run a mile. If he is still behind you, run another mile. If he is still there, THEN turn and fight. By then, he will be too tired.
Scott Danziger

Tea-Bee

Post by Scott Danziger »

genjumin,

Hey, I almost like that Okinawapunch(tm). Almost sounded good till you added "disco" to it. Maybe some Ozzy type metal (for spirited kick ass terror on your assailants) and you got an awsome, no nonsense, throw that Krav Maga out the window, Billy Blanks humiliating, Bruce Lee creating, bannish TKD from the Earth, beat up a Navy Seal, number one most devastating self defense system this side of the Alpha Quadrant.

Where do I sign and how many weeks till I make black belt?
Scott Danziger

Tea-Bee

Post by Scott Danziger »

Tony,

Isn't the gym worried you're gonna scare off the help?

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 09-13-99).]
genjumin

Tea-Bee

Post by genjumin »

Gene-san:
Back when I started Judo,we were told(it being taught as sef-defense as well as sport, in the Sixties):'Judo teaches you to run, but to run with confidence.'

Scott-San:
Glad you like idea for Okinawapunch(tm).Price is as lsted, music adaptabl to your favorite Tunes, and how soon you make blackbelt has a lot to do with how much money you pay extra, since belts are offered as an extra option.

The good news is, the Belts will be designer, by either Pierre Cardin or Harley-Davidson, if I can talk them into it.

Movie is coming out next year, or the year after.Working title:'KarateKid Five:Mr. Miyagi Gets Rich.'

John
Scott Danziger

Tea-Bee

Post by Scott Danziger »

Tony,
I meant scared as people walk by see you doing Martial Arts and he's doing, well a facsimilie (sp?).

But c'mon, admit it. You want to spar him don't ya Image

Scott
Shelly King

Tea-Bee

Post by Shelly King »

You guys have got to stop...I'm trying to read this at work and all my laughing is starting to draw attention.

Maurice
I didn't realize that was him in The Last Boy Scout...I love that scene (of course in a sick and twisted kind of way).

After I started training and dropping a few pounds, someone at work asked me what I was doing to get into shape. I said, "Karate". They said, "Oh yeah, some others have taken up Tae Bo also." I said, "That's nice."

Side note, I know several people who have gotten hurt do the tapes also.

------------------
Shelly
lori macleod-doyle

Tea-Bee

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Hello everyone,
In our area many health clubs are also offering these types of classes and I have heard stories of many injuries .
One day, as I was on the stair climber at the gym, I was able to view one of these classes . I have never seen so many flailing limbs in my life. There seemed to be no instruction of how to punch or kick in the proper way. You could see that there were many in the class who knew the routine and the moves quite well but the instructor never left her position at the front of the room to check on the students to see if they were doing the moves correctly. I could see very clearly that many in the class were hyper-extending their elbows and knees. The instructor seemed oblivious to these situations. There was no understanding of the connection of upper and lower body
and it seemed to me that many of these people were going to do some damage to themselves.I think that if clubs are going to offer a class that is based on the martial arts, the instructors should have at least some understanding of the basics of martial arts and not just a week-end course.
Our do-jo has recently started to offer a cardio workout for non uechi students, but the instructors are all black belts with the proper training and understanding of how to punch and kick in a way which is not going to cause damage.

Lori M-D
genjumin

Tea-Bee

Post by genjumin »

Now see,
That's just what I mean.If I was teaching Okinawapunch(tm) and Katarobics), no one would get hurt.

We would do slow motion excercise first, and have proper instruction, Before we turned on the Dance Tunes and began flailing.:-)

Kardio Kumite,now, would be another matter.

Exhale-Punch! Exhale-Kick-Exhale-Block too late!

Genjumin
Jason Bernard

Tea-Bee

Post by Jason Bernard »

The Tae Bo tapes specficailly state: "learning self defense while getting into shape." There can be little doubt that they are marketing this as a means of self defense. In any event, it is probably irrelevent. Anybody who has taken Tae Bo will just freeze and be killed so their "technique" won't get them into any real trouble.

Osu!
gmattson
Site Admin

Tea-Bee

Post by gmattson »

I'm hearing reports (2nd hand) that many health clubs are reporting TaeBo participants suffering from joint injuries, caused, supposedly, from performing the TaeBo workouts.

Anyone else hear anything on this subject?

------------------
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Tea-Bee

Post by Bill Glasheen »

George et al

The irony of all this doesn't escape me. Several years back I mentioned that there was a lot of potential (for getting warm bodies in the door) in karate aerobics. Most others in our community poo-pooed the idea. Now those who operate such programs have their rooms full of willing participants. And most who teach can't punch their ways out of a wet paper bag. Sigh

Now to George's question... It appears that the aerobics community is taking the bull by the horn. They are one of the best-managed fitness activities I have witnessed in a long while. They have strict certification programs for people who teach, regular seminars that deal with safe teaching practices, etc, etc. Anyhow, there is now such a thing as a certified kickboxing instructor in the aerobics community.

Recently one of the aerobics instructors posted an article from an aerobics magazine in the workout room we share. It speaks to the issues you raised, George. There are widespread reports of "common" people injuring themselves by flailing their arms and legs at high speed in some facimile of a martial arts move. The article concluded that People should learn martial arts technique from a certified kickboxing instructor. The irony of THAT did not escape me. I couldn't help myself. I crossed out kickboxing and put martial arts.

I'm soooo bad. And they hate it when you're right.

- Bill
Rick Wilson

Tea-Bee

Post by Rick Wilson »

Jason, great to hear from you again, I've missed your posts.

Rick
RACastanet

Tea-Bee

Post by RACastanet »

Hi guys and ladies. Thanks for the great responses. As this thread is getting long I will start a new thread. Bill or George: Could you please lock this topic up?
Regards, Rich

[This message has been edited by RACastanet (edited 09-24-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”