Tea-Bee

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Tea-Bee

Post by RACastanet »

For those of you that do not read the paper, on Sunday, syndicated columnist Dave Barry (could this be JD's editor?) took a refreshing look at Tae-bo. For a humorist/editorialist he really hit the nail on the head. To wit:

"As I understand it, Tae-bo is based on martial arts; the difference is that martial artists actually learn to defend themselves, whereas Tae-bo people throw pretend punches and kicks strictly for fitness purposes. While they're busy kicking air and checking their abdominals, an actual mugger could walk right up and whack them with a crowbar".

Well, that is as good an explanation of Tae-bo that may exist.

Anyone care to add anything?

(BTW, check out Barry's photo on that page...... Could it be Dr. X in 20 years with a few (say 50) extra pounds?)

Rich
lori macleod-doyle

Tea-Bee

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Good evening Rich,
I find it amusing when people tell me they are studying kickboxing or karate only to find out they are really doing the latest aerobic version of martial arts being taught at the local gym.I find it disturbing to find out that a lot of these people really do believe that these classes will actually help them to defend themselves. Should these establishments not properly inform their students of the facts? These classes may very well be a great cardio work out, but this could be a very dangerous situation in the makeing.
Lori M-D
Collin Warder

Tea-Bee

Post by Collin Warder »

But...but...but, Tae Bo teaches you how to kick really high!

Honestly, love Dave Barry, excellant writer. I hate to say it but what Dave said is true for a lot of martial art schools too.

-Collin
Gene DeMambro

Tea-Bee

Post by Gene DeMambro »

A young lady I worked with is an aerobics instructor. She does all kinds of stuff, including taking a Tae-Bo class. Shee really gets into it. One day she was talking with a collegue of mine in the pharmacy, about her "karate". Now, Sam also takes MA. After she leaves, he kind of lokks at me. He and I were in agreement when I said that people can take whatever class they want, as long as they don't think it's real karate!

Unfortunately, the reverse is true.

Gene
Collin Warder

Tea-Bee

Post by Collin Warder »

Well I believe that true martial arts teach the science of fighting. The actual body movements are relatively simple and easy to learn. Face it, besides a few subtleties, a punch is a punch. Now there are those few individuals who already have a strong understanding of the science of fighting. A person can be an effective "fighter" through using the movements taught in Tae Bo, so long as they have an understanding of this science. A Tae Bo kick to the head is still gunna hurt. A Tae Bo punch to the throat will smite you plenty. Tae Bo does not teach a person to fight at all, but it does intruduce a participant to martial body movements. If they know how to fight already, they can use SOME of what Tae Bo teaches them.

-Collin
Scott Danziger

Tea-Bee

Post by Scott Danziger »

Collin, I have to disagree with you. I have the Tae Bo tapes. They teach Nothing of balance, keeping your wrists straight, getting out of the way of an attack, blocking, Mindset, timing, distance, proper point of contact with a kick or a punch. What you do learn is how to dance and sweat. Great exercise if you do the movements correctly. If you don't you will hurt yourself.

If you taught someone just the "movements" of kata are they learning martial arts?

If you know how to fight- that's one thing. But if you do not know how to fight, then take tae bo or cardio kickboxing and "think" you are learning to fight will get you hurt.

Scott

------------------
George Mattson's Directory Of Links
www.xpres.net/~gmattson/cgi-bin/links/index.html
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/t_charge.htm
Martial Arts Of Long Island
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/
Evan Pantazi

Tea-Bee

Post by Evan Pantazi »

All an assailant has to do is step away from the "Tae Bo" defense and let the defender hyperextend their own joints and fall on their face.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
www.erols.com/kyusho
Collin Warder

Tea-Bee

Post by Collin Warder »

Scott:

Re-read my post, you just repeated what I said.

"I have the Tae Bo tapes. They teach Nothing of balance, keeping your wrists straight, getting out of the way of an attack, blocking, Mindset, timing, distance,"

I certainly don't dispute that, but also never claimed that they did. I said if a person knew these things already, they may be able to use the movements they have learned.

Evan Sensei:

I didn't even know Tae Bo had techniques that they called defenses Image This true, it only proves that Billy Blanks is doing a terrible disservice to the world. The second he claims any of the movements as defensive means that he is professing the use of Tae Bo as a self defense, ick!
Evan Pantazi

Tea-Bee

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Didn't anyone see the episode of ER when Mr. Blanks showed up as an instructor of one of the Nurses? She side kicked one of the main characters in the chest (I think even breaking the ribs) and the nurse explained how she was into Tae Bo and how she was empowered by her new found "Self Deceit, I mean Defense").

Yes Mr. Blanks had a great Idea and made a ton of money, and I am truly happy that he did...even sparked some renewed interest in the real Arts. We do owe him a thank you but I have a few people that have said they hurt their knees working out to the tapes...so careful out there.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
www.erols.com/kyusho
RACastanet

Tea-Bee

Post by RACastanet »

Thanks for the responses. On a final note, Barry said that if you are really tough, try the TAE-Bee workout. Find a large bee's nest and start punching it. Then, take on all of those mad little babies and see who is quicker and tougher.

Rich
maurice richard libby

Tea-Bee

Post by maurice richard libby »

In the Tae Bo infomercial, one woman in the middle of it comes very close to saying she can handle herself on the street. Oh Yeah

A friend of mine wrote and directed a movie with Mr. B. he was very unhappy with the results because he ended up cutting most of the dialogue of the star.

Mr. Blanks did one performance I liked in a movie I liked. He was the football player in the beginning of The Last Boy Scout whio flipped out and made an 80 yard touchdown rush by pulling a gun and killing all the defenders. Very funny scene in a gruesome sort of way.

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Scott Danziger

Tea-Bee

Post by Scott Danziger »

Collin,

I understand what you wrote, I meant to disagree with the "a punch is a punch". Then I got carried away. Sorry.

Scott
Paul_C

Tea-Bee

Post by Paul_C »

Not that I consider myself Billy Blank's public defender, in-fact I don't think he was in one movie I liked. But I did see him in an interview where he stated that Tae-Bo is an aerobic workout only, and not to be confused with a self-defense of MA course.

Now if someone doing Tae Bo wants to live in La-La land and believe they can now defend them-selves because of Tae-Bo. Well then, they're idiots and the only thing we can do is pray they don't reproduce.
JOHN THURSTON

Tea-Bee

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

hI:

Well, having to operate a 'mini dojo' in a fitness establishments has some pluses.

They have "Tae Kick" there. (by this I mean thye can't even give Billy his cut, although there are "instructors" in training to get "certified" for Tae Bo.

Sharon (of my class a Shodan) also takes the Tae Kick and likes it OK, but she is not under any illusions, and enjoys the workout.

Cardio Kick boxing is a bit of a rage at the other end of town.

Perhaps the "not under any illusions" part should be operative.

JT

------------------
genjumin

Tea-Bee

Post by genjumin »

Say-You guys are giving me ideas!

How to make a million:

Okinawapunch-the newest aerobic craze.Master trainers study for years to learn it but can teach you in a matter of moments.

Okinawapunch(tm) and Katarobics will get you in the best shape you've ever been in-And give you all the confidence you need to go alone down those mean streets.

After stepping up and down the floor one thousand times per workout throwing Okinawapunch, you too will come to understand the confidence our "confidence men and women" will impart to you for the low, low price of five hundred dollars per month-Okinawapunch Tee-Shirt and Katarobics Disco CD extra.Batteries not included.

Enroll now-offer extremely limited.Bunco squad members take for free.:-)

John

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”