Post, reply, or lurk ?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gary Santaniello

Post, reply, or lurk ?

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Having been involved in a small group conversation with Sensei Mattson and some students at the "Hut" a few weeks ago regarding how many people lurk amoungst the forums, i found myself having the same conversation today with Sensei Koury after the 2nd regional workout. It appears that there are many more people reading (lurking) the forums than those participating. As a matter of fact, very "few" have any input at all.

What we seem to question is why ? It appears as though it is the same 15 or 20 names that continue to post topics and/or reply to them. It has been suggested that thousands check out the discusions that go on. I know not how correct that is but, surely it is much more than we hear from.

I have only been involved in the forums for a few months now with some posting and/or replies due to two reasons, 1.did not know about them, 2. Just got on line rescently. However, let us dscuss the poossibilties as to why people may not get more involved.

As for myself, i was very hesitant to make a "reply" never mind a "post". As some others have stated, everyone is reading what you say. Yes, that is the purpose. Do some of us feel intimidated to state what we feel or think ? I believe so. For their are some very high ranked and well respected individuals on the forums. A difference of opinion my somehow appear to be challanging to someone elses veiw. Although not intended.

I myself have been misunderstood either by others perseption of what was stated or posibly through my projecting something other than what was intended.
Communication is difficult enough in person sometimes, it is even more so on the forums. However, i have found that by at least participating in some topics, we can all try and respect other veiws.

Surely many who read the forums have topics, questions or issues of their own. Some may seem not worth the effort to post where as one does put themselves in a position to be analized. However, how can we encourage more to participate in these discussions ?

As Gary Koury and i agreed, without being able to clearify what you mean when something is stated due to the lack of someone being before you, there is much room for misrepresentation or misunderstanding. Surely we all try to be somewhat careful in how we present ourselves in opinionating things.
There ae some forums that are not as active as others maybe due to the subject content or for other reasons. Surely we are not all interested in the same topics and some things are simply stated so well that there just is not much else to be said on that subject.

Can we encourage others to be more "comfortable" on the forums ? Do some feel that they cannot question or comment in a different veiw of a senior who is posting ? Sometimes i am concerned how others are veiwing what i say (like now) but, so be it. Some Sensei's my have their students believing that they cannot question anything. These discussions are open to everyone, so feel free to jump in and share you veiws, questions or opinions.

Lurkers!!!! (smile)

What do you think ?

------------------
Gary S.
David Elkins

Post, reply, or lurk ?

Post by David Elkins »

Hi Gary,

Good points. I see posting/replying, etc. as good karate. Keep your head up and your eyes down (relative to humility, not necessarily the best fight strategy Image Oh, yes and in the spirit of the thread on Van Sensei's forum "Resolve", embrace the opportunity to "eat bitter" occasionally. It usually precedes growth.

Take care,

David
Jake Steinmann

Post, reply, or lurk ?

Post by Jake Steinmann »

I spent a week or two lurking around before I had the courage to post anything...and in fact, one of my earliest posts earned me some less than favorable replies.

After which, I clarified my position, and kept posting. By the time I got to the summer camp, a few months later, I was able to finally meet some of the friends I had made on the forum.

Lurkers out there...go ahead, post. You never know what you might get out of it.
Shelly King

Post, reply, or lurk ?

Post by Shelly King »

I also crept around the forums for about 2 weeks before something caught my eye and I worked up the courage to post. Of course, some are hoping I'll go away Image , but I wouldn't hold my breath. If something interests you, go ahead-get involved. If nothing interests you, get involved and start a topic that does interest you. It will mostly likely interest someone else as well.

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Post, reply, or lurk ?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gary

You wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Do some of us feel intimidated to state what we feel or think ? I believe so. For [there] are some ... well respected individuals on the forums.
Careful there, cowboy. I have a "reputation" to protect!

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”