Thank you Uechi coach potatoes!!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Hey:

To all the Uechi coach potatoes who couldn't get off of their rear ends to take the short drive to Weymouth this weekend: THANK YOU!!

Rather than battle big crowds as we expected, about 100 or so of us got to work in a semi-private setting with the likes of our very own GEM, Tracy Rose, Dan Gradowski, John Thurston and -- of course -- our host Mike Murphy-sensei!

An excellent 2nd regional workout and another terrific day for the Uechi faithful!

You all know the old adage about bringing a horse to water. . .It's as true in martial arts as it is in any other aspect of life, it seems!

Well, our own Jimmy Deluca of Khoury's Karate is fond of paraphrasing Senator Bill Bradley and says, "Hey, I don't care who shows up when there's an opportunity to train. All I know is I am there and they are not. And if, God forbid, that person should run up against me someday, they will do so knowing that I've been training to the point of pain while they sat on their a**!"

So to all those who supported Mike-sensei: CONGRATULATIONS! We're one step closer to our goal of martial mastery!

And to all of the fools who did not, REMEMBER: The gap is widening! Keep your eyes open in the dojo, in the tournys and on the street. You're going to run up against one of us one of these days.

And I don't think watching those extra re-runs of "Charles in Charge" is going to help.

Sorry.

Gary
david

Post by david »

Gary,

I feel sufficiently quilty. What shall the form of atonement be...? Okay... I am afraid to hear your answer. I have to come up with my own. Image

Even though I was not present, I thank those who made the regional possible for the the "Uechi faithful."

sincerely,

david
Gary Santaniello

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Gary K.

Although i am sure many could not attend do to other committments, i am also sure that many schools from the "South Shore" area also could have. It is possible that many did not know of the regional workout if the "Forum" was the only means of letting people know. As Sensei Mattson suggest we should try to call and/or contact those not involved in the forums to encourage participation.

Naturally there are those who will not attend or support the effort due to political and/or other reasons. I believe that if we can even keep a fair amount of people involved quarterly, it will be time worthy for those of us who do participate in it.

Thank you Mike Murphy for a good time. glad to have been there. Hope all enjoyed themselves and possibly met or interacted with others that made there day enjoyable.

Mike Aceto is also an excellent instructor and i encourage many to be there. If not, your loss!

Gary, my pleaure to have worked with you a little and enjoyed our conversation afterwards. Look foward to comming out your way to visit your dojo in the near future.

Best to all, try to make the next one!

------------------
Gary S.
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Gary:

Thanks for the kind words. Nice working with you, too. Met a nice guy again; cleared up a misunderstanding; made a new friend. Thank you, Uechi-ryu!

To the rest of the "unfaithful": I am, of course, to some extend being sarcastic of your inability to attend.

My true intention? To get you all to see that ANY opportunity missed to openly train with other dojo, styles and/or friends is to miss the true essence of our modern martial practice.

The overriding theme of the day is EXCHANGE!

Why weren't YOU there to allow me to know a bit more about who you are and what you do?!

By not attending you ROBBED me of training with someone who could have helped me improve my skills or learn a new technique or two.

And, as I mentioned, I WILL make you pay for it if our paths ever cross!

In the meantime, KEEP TRAINING!

Gary

PS: DAVID: your punishment: 2 trips to The Academy within the next 6 months! WE MISSED YOU, MAN!!!

G
david

Post by david »

Gary,

Will be there. Have you got the sauna and steam room set up yet? Image

david
T Rose

Post by T Rose »

Gary summed it up perfectly: in a word the regional workouts are about EXCHANGE.

Uechi ryu can be as strong as we decide to make it. It will only become stronger with your support. It is to easy to sit in your dojo and believe the fairy tales you tell each other. Get out on the floor and try out your stuff, experiment, learn, grow. For the next regional workout, I personally will be on the phone calling each dojo that participated in the first workout.
Mike Murphy, Gary Khoury, GEM, Van Canna,et. al. , all the participants in the regional workout series will have work to have the 3rd regional workout the best yet. We promise a rich, exciting, agenda. Only the people who participate will benefit..

later
tracy
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

OK guys! You're making me feel quilty about not going and I'm half a continent away. So...when is there going to be a mid-west workout?

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Uechi Kanbun and Kanei must be smiling. We're proud of you New Englanders!

We had our own smaller regional several weeks ago. I had to stay and hold the fort down because I'd already traveled to Germany and Nebraska. The wife was ready to apply a little of her own martial skills! But Rich Castanet represented the dojo. The usual (Carria, Folta, etc, etc) were in attendance. Believe it our not, we're having "fights" down here over who gets to hold the next one. Last I heard, it would be in Pennsylvania in November. We'll keep you guys posted. That's not too fah for the New Englanders to come down by cah.

- Bill
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

To all dem dar folks out there:

Thanks for all those people who attended the workout. It was great to see you there and work with each of you. To be a perfectionist for a second, I wish it could have been better. I always leave this type of thing going, "I should have done this, or should have done that." Oh well. Seriously, I had really hoped that more people would come, but that just means we ALL are going to have to work that much harder for the next one.

As for you David.....You don't have to serve your atonement at Gary's (although I'm sure he'd love to have you), but at my dojo, on the mat with me!!!!! You know what I'm talking about. Time to test the Ukemi with me and the folk from the South Shore. :-) Then, Gary can have your depleted body!

And of course, as I said at the seminar, anyone and everyone is welcome at my dojo anytime: Gary, whenever your schedule permits; Tracy Sensei, within the next couple of weeks?????; and David of course, whenever you run out of excuses :-)

Thanks again and lets make the next one the best!!!!

yours in budo,

mike

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”