Y2K and Fearmongering

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Tim Ahearn

Y2K and Fearmongering

Post by Tim Ahearn »

In a recent issue of The Nation I came across a description of a recent Preparedness Expo.

There was a seminar on the "Leftist Revolution and the Y2K Crisis in America" by Officer Jack McLamb (Known for his denunciations of Satanism and the world government Marxist system). He rambled about a world conspiracy, some sort of federal plot, the Federal Reserve, and the Antichrist. He ends his speech by directing his listeners to booth 225 to get themselves some dried food.

There is Militia of Montana Video for sale titled What Lies Ahead? It answers: "Lack of Food. Enemy Troops. Bio-Chemical Warfare."

John Trochmann, leader of Militia of Montana, is giving a talk on "Surviving Martial Law." He tells a reporter: "I'm giving at least two talks per weekend and I'm booked every weekend right through Y2K."

These people are interested in cashing in on Y2K and their tactic is to "Scare 'em to death and sell them some preparedness."

Everyone wants a piece of the action. There are: "hippie capitalists selling seeds and sprouts, homeopaths selling homemade remedies, vegetarians selling juice extracts and herb packets, neo-Luddites pushing wood-burning stoves." Someone is selling above ground swimming pools as Y2K water tanks. Another person is selling a "Millennium Medical and Health Kit" containing dental floss, a sewing kit, iodine, aspirin, Band-Aids and a tongue depressor.

These people are not interested in giving balanced responsible information on Y2K. Nor are they interested in people making informed decisions, in people accurately accessing risk. The money is what matters here.

But let's get on topic. It's not always easy to get reliable information on crime (and self-defense). Like in the case of Y2K, people (Martial Artists, Self-defense Instructors) have an economic incentive to keep people scared to death about crime (should they be?) Do Martial Arts instructors give students the information they need to accurately access risk and to make intelligent, informed decisions? Is money an issue? What about the tremendous preventable death and injury cause by heart disease, cancer (in many cases), motor vehicles, alcohol, and cigarettes--and by comparison the paltry homicide/assault rates (depending on where you live). There doesn't seem to be a lot of intelligent risk assessment going on out there.

I'll leave you with a quote from a merchant, with a sense of humor, at the Preparedness Expo. He was selling his wares under a sign "PSYCHOS MORE THAN WELCOME--HAVE YOUR KIND OF STUFF". "I've been doing this for about ten years now. It's all the same old stuff. Just different names. But we're in the middle of a feeding frenzy. All this year our sales have been tripling and quadrupling because of Y2K. [When this is over] I'm going to the bank, man. I'm going to the bank!"

What are people's thoughts, observations and experiences?

Thanks,

Tim
Bill Glasheen

Y2K and Fearmongering

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Sorry, Tim. My fingers are too tired to type. Been digging that underground shelter. Been carrying those cases of Icehouse beer down there.
RACastanet

Y2K and Fearmongering

Post by RACastanet »

Hi Tim. I'm stocking up on weapons and ammo so I can just go and take what I want. I'm going to wear my nifty green gi as the official uniform of my group. Hmmm..... Bill's got a green gi and beer as well. Want to could team up?

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Y2K and Fearmongering

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bbrrraaa-a-a-aaaaappp!! 'scuse me. Get Vickie to bring her cammo gi and I'd say we have a Y2K malitia. Cool!

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 10-07-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”