Closet masochist

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Stockey

Closet masochist

Post by Bill Stockey »

Well, you should be very happy tody. Anybody but Cleveland
Bill Glasheen

Closet masochist

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yes, I admit it.

Hi, my name is Bill Glasheen, and I'm a Red Sox fan.

HI, BILL!

I blame it on my father. When I were a wee lad in the latter fifties and early sixties, I went to sleep each humid Virginia summer night with a distant crackle of the Hartford, Conneticut AM radio station. Addicts like my dad continued with their childhood illness. He would hunch over the radio and listen until some untoward event would have him curse and turn the tube radio off with a resounding click.

And I have inherited the disease.

See me get excited about the comeback against Cleveland. See me wonder over the record-filled, 23-7 victory in game 4. See me anticipate another chance for the heroes to face the world-hated, historic, history-laden Yankees. See me set myself up for another disappointment.

But I remain an addict....

- Bill
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

...and just what was with that play at second base last night??!!! Hello...it shouldn't be that difficult a concept - you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball...plus you're getting paid!!!! Talk about a bad call....

------------------
Bill Glasheen

Closet masochist

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Or the Yankee runner that the catcher tagged at the plate...without the ball. What an acrobatic throw from right field, and dead on. All for naught.

I hate it when the Yankees think they deserve to win a game - even when they do deserve it.
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

Actually I think my fav moment was Jetter's post-game comment that "We will take a win anyway we can get it"....how's that for sportmanship....lose the ego baby, you were not the star of the game last night by any means!!!

------------------
Shelly King

Closet masochist

Post by Shelly King »

Bill

PBR...just becaue it's football doesn't mean we have to be uncivilized.

Mary
Sounds like class...HA HA HA. Seriously though, sounds killer, is this strictly a Canadian game or it gaining popularity elsewhere. so, it's like Rugby but with a bat.

------------------
Shelly
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

Shelly, the mystical "game" of Hurly hails from the Emerald Isle and every once in a while (much like the sighting of the wee leprechauns)a sports channel like TSN or ESPN will air an international sporting event - I consider the game mystical because after years, I still haven't figured out the rules or even if there are any. If you are really lucky, it will be Australian Rules Football (no gear, no tears, just lots of beer)or Hurley ("hey, look, I'm holding your ear, mate"). Either way both sports are very distinctive and can make sparring at the dojo look pretty tame...

------------------
Shelly King

Closet masochist

Post by Shelly King »

Baseball...please....Football(the American version that is), now that's a real sport. Image
Maybe if they had something like full-contact baseball it might be interesting. Perhaps the runner could carry the bat with them, would definatly make the squeeze play and tags more exciting.

And if I have to listen to my husband do another ball game play by play and explain in detail how the Braves were robbed here and cheated there, I'm going to scream!

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Closet masochist

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Oh good grief! The football game's on upstairs. The boys will be happy to share their PBR beer with you.
gmattson
Site Admin

Closet masochist

Post by gmattson »

Would you believe that I fell asleep during the 9th inning? I woke up around 2am wondering who won. Susan, who normally would prefer listening to me snore than watch a game, actually watched the whole thing!

She filled me in on all the details this morning.

Go SOX!!!

------------------
GEM
Steve

Closet masochist

Post by Steve »

Hi, I'm Steve and I'm from Cleveland....

Sounds like the beginning of another 12 step program!

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

George-san ....you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!! yeesh, even a Maritimer who was an hour behind the rest of you guys and did class last night watched the whole thing!

And Shelly - if you want a full contact game don't bother with American football - check out Hurly!!!! No helmets, no shin or shoulder pads, and a big stick supposedly used to hit the tiny little ball (but in fact used to whack your opponents in the shins full force) Now there is a game!!

------------------
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

So what do they do? Move the ump over to first base, have him admit his big mistake in game one, he gives us a wee bit of a break on a call, and we still lose...aarrrggghhh, David Cone...aarrrggghhh!! Hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose my faith. But I must say Trot Nixon looked good last night. (What kind of a name is that?) ....can't wait for Saturday!! (Have to attend a wedding but plan to duck out early - no, not mine but I still would if it was!!!!)

By the way, Bill-san hope your #2 child is feeling better...

George-san did you watch the whole game? I tried but couldn't stay up for it last night. Had to bail at around 12:00 AT.

------------------
lori macleod-doyle

Closet masochist

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Mary,
I was wondering where you were last night!

Lori M-D Image
Mary S

Closet masochist

Post by Mary S »

Lori, if the truth be told, I took a kick to the right knee Wednesday night (a very pretty purple and black lump and quite sore) and to compensate for the limp I have acquired, I seemed to have tightened the left hamstring (such a sexy walk!!!) Baseball was secondary to sitting on the couch and applying a cold pack (no, not a six-pack Bill-san)!!!

------------------

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”