Bravo, monsier!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Bravo, monsier!

Post by Bill Glasheen »

On a previous occasion, I referred to a fellow that works with me here that also studies martial arts. Ed does Muay Thai and grappling. Nice combination. Ed used to intern for me when he was a student, and he now works on the same floor as a full-time worker. Ed is - in a phrase - a good-natured, Asian tank. But very American!

Being the young buck that he is, Ed was surfing on the net and discovered a last minute deal to Paris that he couldn't refuse. So several days later, he was on his way. Ed doesn't speak much in the way of French, but he's young and life is there to be lived!

On his first day there, Ed got into a packed subway car. Apparently he had not yet gotten into his "alert" mode, and had gotten a bit careless with his possessions. He had a subway ticket in his back pocket, 200 francs ($40) in his left pocket, and his wallet/passport/$$$$ in his right. They were apparently squeezed in like sardines in this subway car. Ed entered with three others - apparently two men and a woman. They surrounded him and were basically contacting on all sides. The subway ticket disappeared from his back pocket. Ed sensed something and looked down to see a hand leaving his left front pocket with the 200 francs. Ed grabbed the hand, but it skillfully deposited the money into the intruder's pocket before Ed could do anything about it.

The first thing Ed did was assess the situation. Right pocket is still full....good. Then Ed grabs the fellow who lifted the money and started yelling at him. Loud. Very loud. The fellow mumbles gibberish back to him in French. Everyone is looking. Ed's hands work their way up to the guys head, and he's getting ready for the clinch so he can drive his knee into the thief.

Then...Ed realized his situation. He had most of his money. This is not his country. He is surrounded by his antagonists. He is not holding all the cards. Ed's hands change from a clinch to a rubbing of the top of the guy's head. "Bravo, monsier, bravo. You got me. You got me good. I've got to hand it to you. Bravo."

The car stops, the door opens, and Ed steps out. He turns around, reaches into his right pocket, and pulls out his money. He fans ten $100 bills with one hand, and brandishes the universal symbol of....emotion....with the other hand. He gives them a big smile. The entire subway car erupted into laughter, cheers, and clapping.

Ed went straight to the police station and told his story. By the time he was done, he said he had about a dozen policemen hovering over the booth where he was being interviewed, mesmerized by the tale. The event, they told him, was very common. But Ed's handling of it was a classic.

Qu'est qu'on peut dit?

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 10-29-99).]
Kevin Mackie

Bravo, monsier!

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Your friend is quick thinker. had he not benn trained to size up his situation, he may be resting with Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison.

My wife just came back from Paris with my two girls and some other family members. I gave some a few simple hints to stay relatively safe.

Tell anyone who asks, you're Canadian. Americans are not as loved as we like to think, especially with the terrorist crowd.

carry traveller's checks or even cash if you like (cheques for the northerners) and don't keep it all in the same place.

have a photocopy of your passport separate from the original. it makes getting a replacement easier.

not much for help, but better than nothing. we can't live in cocoons and never venture out, can we?

kevin

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”