Mike's Rank topic - Your feelings and recommendations

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Sensei Mike Murphy got people on a bold start after Sensei Mattson's editorial. I have an idea. In this thread, I would like to encourange any and everyone - no matter what rank or affiliation - to address the following issues raised in George's editorial. Please keep it to ONE POST. You may edit your own post if you change your mind, but keep it to just one post in this thread.

* How do you feel about the process of the recent promotional?

* What are your recommendations?

You can state rank and affiliation if you find it relevant. I will avoid comment for some time so as to encourage others to state their own heartfelt opinions. And remember that opinions are like noses - everyone has one. Respect them for what they are!

- Bill
Phils

Post by Phils »

I'd just add that the value of the belt or the rank depends on the value we place on it. You can clarify the competencies all you want, those are procedural. They're a start, but making people follow rules is a whole other matter.

If you want to get to the bottom of this one, and to be blunt, you have to learn how to raise sticky issues, open up the discusssion with everyone, and come to concenus. Like it or not, there are 12th dans out there (in 1999) that couldn't hurt you with a hatchet.

We have to learn how to share and encourage the kind of behavior we want dan ranks to follow before we can start talking about transforming organizations. A "Little steps for little feet" approach. A positive attitude and willingness to share ideas is a good starting point. Thanks for the opportunity to chime in. Phils
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I have been reading many of the posts about the recent issues of rank, and promotions. And I have come to the conclusion that people are very caught up in who deserves the rank and how it should be awarded. When in reality only one person should truly decide a promotion and that is the student's teacher. Karate is only as good as the relationship between the student and the teacher. Once outside factors get involved and start influencing that relationship the only thing that suffers is the quality of the martial art. The teacher is the one who decides weather or not the student should be tested. If that means going up in front of a board to be tested then so be it. But ultimatly it's the teacher who decides. People need to understand that everyone is junior to someone. Even George Mattson has a teacher that he has to answer to when being tested. High ranking practitionors should sit down and and ask themselves, who is my teacher? When was the last time I was truly evaluated by him or her? If those questions can be answered in a positive light then there is no need to wonder about rank and wether it should or shouldn't have been given.

I am not apart of the Soke association, so I don't know who is on the testing board or what is involved in a test. . I also don't know who this person's teacher is but it should have been the teacher that requested the test and noone else. But if the board tested this student in question without the request of his teacher, and passed him, then the blame, if there is any, can go no furthur then the board. Again this is what happens when the student teacher relationship fall short.

I really feel people should ask themselves the questions I mentioned before. The questions may be hard to answer but the answers will benefit not only you but whatever association you belong to. Because without a teacher, can you truley call yourself a student of Karate?
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Bill-san,

Although I think I've already said my piece on this, I'll get the ball rolling once again.

Concerning the recent promotional and Sensei Mattson's comments:

I have no problem with the "majority" of promotions that occurred. I've said before that if their sensei feels they are ready, then there is no reason to wait for promotionals because of what other people's perceptions. We only have to true to ourselves. If other people think that we are flooding the market with high ranks have them go work out with sensei Bethoney, Maloney, or Durkin and then let them speak their mind. The problem lies in the process and when that process is undermined whether intentional or not, and whether or not people are using the system for glorified rank.

My recommendations? I guess the only think I can think of is to have the very top (those who issue rank) agree to a process that works for everyone and hold to it. I know that Sensei Mattson agreed to one promotion to 8th per year with his seniors, however, did Kanmei Uechi sensei? I don't know. He should be brought into the mix if not.

yours in budo,

mike
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Anonymous

Submitted respectfully,

Gary J. Khoury

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”