Hunchback syndrome

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Hunchback syndrome

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Circa 1978, Larry Tan wrote an article for Inside Kung Fu magazine. The article's title was Uechi Ryu, an Okinawan Cousin of Kung Fu. In it, Larry did some fine analyses of the style of Uechi ryu vs. other southern Chinese styles, and explained why it was such an anomaly on Okinawa. That article is a keeper, and it's a shame it can't be downloaded to some site for all to view.

In the article, Larry makes note of how some practitioners in Southern China have a type of "hollow chest" stance. He noted it without making any conclusions as to whether the form served any functional purpose.

I've tested more than a few thousand peoples' sanchins in my day, and I'm a big believer in spinal posture. Those who know me know that I believe our style to have the capability of being both striking and grappling art. And those who know me understand my emphasis on total body training and balanced conditioning. All this leads to me using sanchin both as learning and diagnostic tool. Often I can look at someone's stance and tell if they have a fundamental problem that needs to be corrected elsewhere in their training.

Recently I came upon a dojo where I found a preponderance of individuals that had a kind of "hunchback" syndrome. If you view the spine from the side, you see a curving out of the spine in the thoracic (chest) region. Now everybody's spine curves out a little in the thoracic region, and curves in a little in the lumbar (lower back) region. In sanchin, I teach people how to minimize that curvature so that the spine can serve as a conduit of energy inbetween the lower and upper body. (When you listen to me talk, you'd swear I was a chi proponent, wouldn't you??) Now it's one thing to find an occasional hunchback in the class. But when you find a lot of them, it's often indicative of a fundamental problem in training.

After spending some time talking to the class about how they might "correct" this problem, we stumbled on the cause. Basically, their supplemental strength training program (mostly calasthenics) was unbalanced. They were doing lots and lots of pushups, which strenthen the front of the chest. There were no exercises for the antagonistic muscles on the back. Now combine an imbalance between agonist (in this case the chest) and antagonist (in this case, the back) along with no stretching exercises for the agonist, and you have created an instant postural problem. Tight chest muscles draw the shoulders forward and the spine over. Hunchback!

But it's more than aesthetics. Trainers have been preaching for years (sometimes to deaf ears) how important it is to get opposing muscle groups properly balanced in their strength (never mind trying to get people to stretch). As an example, studies show that when an athlete gets a strength ratio between quadracep and hamstring to go anything over a 3 to 2 ration, then you end up with a significantly higher probability of getting a hamstring injury. See a football team with lots of hamstring injuries on the bench? Chances are the players were doing powerful squats and too little hamstring work. And just because the agonist muscle is strong does NOT mean you will be fast and powerful with it. It works this way - your body is either going to get injured or it's going to protect itself. If you develop a very powerful extensor movement, chances are your body's stretch reflex system is going to inhibit you from using it 100% in any motion. Functional self preservation. So it's like putting a powerful engine in a car, and never allowing the car to go in high gear.

My personal preference is to do very little "sweat" work inside the dojo. I encourage my students to engage in balanced strength routines outside the classroom. Yes, I know how busy everyone is and how much they want the karate instructor to make them sweat and lose weight. Fine - a good thing to do in a beginner's class. But truth be told, it is not possible to exercise the entire body without the aid of equipment.

An it's not just a "modern" thing either. Way back in Fuzhou province, George, Marty Dow and others uncovered all kinds of training equipment that people used to build stronger bodies for the style we study. And those who sniff how it's not "traditional" basically make me chuckle. Go to any "traditional" Okinawan dojo and you will see quite an eyeful. In Alan Dollar's book, he has a whole chapter on Iron Body Conditioning and Tameshiwari. OK, so you see the requisite jars (kami full of sand, and even sashi stone locks used on ancient wooden gates. But you'll also see <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
The primitive weights of Okinawa are often made of concrete or transmission gears from old military vehicles.
Don't you just love tradition? You'll also see tires bolted to makiwara for sokusen training, and pictures of bats being broken by shins where the label clearly states Louisville Slugger. How Asian! How traditional! Someone please play some wailing Okinawan music while I use a rolling pin on my shin!

So why am I babbling? Well what I'm trying to say is that we need to train using the best available resources. Our ancestors used what was available to them. Any decent dojo is bound to have at least one PE major in the group. Way back in the eighties I consulted the varsity strength coach at my university and developed a strength program that was to be integrated in with the rest of our training. The strength coach INSISTED that the program be about the WHOLE program, and not just the weights.

Or....you can make your students sweat in class by doing lots of pushups, situps, and squatting exercises. And you will be instrumental in developing inbalanced bodies that are at high risk for injury and far below peak performance.

It's your choice.

- Bill
Gene DeMambro

Hunchback syndrome

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Sensei Glasheen,

You have mentioned your tailor-made weight training program once or twice before. Maybe you can share it with us? I, for one, am interested.

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Hunchback syndrome

Post by Bill Glasheen »

OK, OK, I'll do it.

Actually this will take more than a few posts. I have picked up a lot over the years. My first exposure to weight training was from a great track coach at Phillips Exeter who actually even had his cross country team doing weight training. We're talking 1970. Much has been learned since then. The Russians, Bulgarians, East Germans, and other former Iron Curtain countries added a lot to our general knowledge of the activity (outside the realm of modern pharmacology of course). My more recent mentor was John Gamble. He was world heavyweight powerlifting champion in the mid-1980s, and was the former strength coach and instructor at University of Virginia. Last I heard, he had the same position for the Miami Dolphins. You could always recognize him at a football game even on TV; he was the guy on the sidelines that looked like a black Michelin man.

My more recent knowledge comes from marrying a competitive bodybuilder. As much as it was difficult for us to work out together (she never wanted to be second fiddle to anyone) I actually picked up a few things from her inbetween the fights about whose rear-end was sticking out when. You know, it's kinda like trying to teach your spouse how to drive (believe it or not, I actually did that and lived to talk about it).

This will take time to do right. When I had my UVa-ers doing it, I planned out their whole semester. But it's different trying to communicate to a broader audience that has to work around an array of lifestyles. So it means I need to explain the principles so someone can design their own program. I'll also need to check out a good reference for people to look up the names of exercises and how they are done. Most of the stuff you find in the bookstore these days (last I checked) is Joe Steroid's Butt Blaster Rountine or Sally Anorexic's Seventeen Magazine Kickboxing Workout. <sigh> My all time favorite basic reference was a very inexpensive book by Bill Reynolds. But last time I looked at it, there were some things in there that bothered me a bit. I'll check first with the strength program at the university for a good textbook-like reference. Believe it or not, UVa actually has a masters degree program in strength training.

Stay tuned...

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”