A drill.

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Rick Wilson

A drill.

Post by Rick Wilson »

I posted this previously on Van Sensei's forum. I thought I would throw it on Bill's and see what response it gets. I have worked with this drill for a while now and keep finding things that I am learning through it.

Tony Blauer had us work on a drill during his knife defence seminar that works very well for unarmed training as well. First of all, I'll ask that you try it out and give it a chance before you dismiss it. I say this because the drill may not sound like much but can teach some serious lessons if done correctly.

Tony calls the drill "The Night Of The Living Dead." If any of you are horror buffs then you know the animated corpses move very slowly. Basically the drill is done with both participants moving at that slow motion speed.

Here is how you start:

One participant (the defender) closes their eyes.

The other participant (the aggressor) begins a slow motion attack and calls out "begin". (This drill could be done with multiple attackers as well.)

At the word "begin" the defender opens their eyes and has to react to the attack already in progress but in slow motion.

It should be noted that the aggressor should not use formal attacks but an "anything goes" attitude. i.e.. Go for a bear hug grab, and if the defender uses both their arms to block yours then drop in a head butt. Not karate attacks but street attacks.

There will be a couple of things that you will notice:

1) The tendency is to "panic" and speed up to handle an unanticipated attack. DON'T speed up, deal with as it IS! If you have to take a hit then take a hit -- DEAL WITH IT.

2) The unorthodox attacks throws off the person who has only trained against formal attacks. Often they are completely overwhelmed. AND THIS IS AT SLOW MOTION!

3) You find the flaws created by your training really fast. i.e.. Chambering or even drawing back slightly before you strike leaves you wide open for a "surprise" counter by those who don't.

4) The eyes closed creates a "surprise" that throws people for first while. If they are thinking they are going to react with one of the "techniques" they have collected, they are quickly corrected on that issue.

5) It doesn't really take that much to get better at it. Just let yourself go and the opportunities open up for you.

There are a couple of ways to play with the drill. One is to have the participants use dramatic anatomic responses to the strikes (ala Jerry Peterson for those into SCARS). Some anatomical response is needed. You can have the aggressor "give" a little to the defender IF they use good principles -- to build a win/survival attitude. However, never do this the first time and only occasionally and if they respond with something that would work (particularly if the defender is very outclassed). The best way is to have the aggressor keep coming like the animated corpses of the movies -- trains the worst case scenario. Don't let it go to the silly, but have some fun. At slow motion no one should be hurt, any technique (except to the eyes perhaps) should be allowed.

A really fun drill that I have shocked a few really good black belts with. Try it out and post you comments. I would really like to hear some comments before I post what I see as the great values this drill gives.

Rick
Evan Pantazi

A drill.

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Rick San,

This type of drill is an integral part of our training we use. Our classes start with stretching, warm up moves, Kata, Hand drills, Leg drils, Bunkai and always end in spontaeous attack and defend scenarios we have tons.

It helps the student unify all aspects of their training and keep them out of the planned class technique mode.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
www.erols.com/kyusho
Jake Steinmann

A drill.

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Rick,
I finally (after a month or two of trying) got a chance to try this drill. Wow! It's amazingly difficult to try to maintain the proper speed when you open your eyes to a pair of knuckles (or a big timberland boot, in one case). Awesome drill. Gotta do it more!
Bill Glasheen

A drill.

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rick

I saw this posted once while scanning Uncle Van's forum. Sounds like a good exercise. I like several aspects of it:

* The encouragement to use "non-karate" attacks.

* Keeping it in slow motion so that both parties can fully follow through with their attacks and yet avoid injury.

* Adding the surprise factor by having the defender open the eyes while the attack is in progress.

This sounds like a great exercise.

I have one that we do in my class that you might appreciate. I call it The Barroom Brawl. I have done it with my class in both slow and fast motion. It is best done in slow motion except with the more advance students.

Basically you throw a bunch of students out on the floor and tell them it's every (wo)man for him/herself. The number one rule is to never fight fair. In other words, I start yelling at them if I see them pairing off. Basically I tell them that if they see someone preoccupied with a fight, then come up behind them and take advantage of it. If you see one person holding on to a second with the third person hitting them, then have TWO people hitting the held person. IF somebody hits the floor, then everybody nearby should pounce. The goal is to teach people what it's like to be attacked from all directions, and what it's like to be victimized. The exercise will teach you how to move and how to stay aware.

It's also VERY entertaining to watch and be a part of. I often use this for demonstrations.

- Bill
Jake Steinmann

A drill.

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Bill Sensei,
We tried doing a drill like that one day at the Kwoon. My Sihing closed us all into one room, and said "Ok...start sparring". After a confused pause, he added "everyone...start going with everyone".
A very interesting exercise indeed. I'd actually be interested to hear your observations on what happens.
I noticed a lot of people quickly bolted for corners or walls, and stood nervously, trying to reach out with an occasional pot shot.
Of course, my Sihing, I and a couple of other trouble-makers went and picked on anyone we could.
Rick Wilson

A drill.

Post by Rick Wilson »

Bill:

I'm going to have to try your drill out it sounds great.

Jake and Bill:

The more that I do Tony's drill the more I find can be learned. One thing that can be taught is MINDSET. When I try this out with new people they inevitably block -- go into defensive mode. There is a block, then another block and they dance around. They either die in the first three seconds or they end up clinching and going to the ground. It gets real messy. Sound like a real fight?

I tell them that I don't care if I hit them or grab them or if they lose, BUT they WILL go straight to the strike! An amazing thing happens, while it doesn't get prettier they do win -- if they keep attacking.

The defensive MINDSET is shown in this drill to be the wrong way to go. Once they start to look for the ATTACK first,then they start to succeed.

The drill also shows your holes and teaches you to see theirs. Keep your hands up, is another strong lesson.

Rick
Jake Steinmann

A drill.

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Rick,
Interesting. I'll have to think about that next time I do the drill. I haven't been able to do it enough times to really get the hang of it, or notice any specific reactions. The one thing I did notice was that it was extremely difficult to keep the proper pace. Everyone's impulse was to try to move faster than they were supposed to by the confines of the drill.
Have to try it with the offensive mindset in mind.
Rick Wilson

A drill.

Post by Rick Wilson »

Jake:

Yes it is very difficult to maintain the slow motion mode. This is a result of adrenaline. In a "small" way you learn to deal with adrenaline by controlling your movements. Part of the process is to learn to control the rush. I repeat that this is a small sample.

Keep at it and please let me know what else you learn.

Rick
Bill Glasheen

A drill.

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jake

My observations on The Barroom Brawl.... Basically I find that the exercise teaches you to use a shallow stance and a lot of movement typical of the tenshin sequences in Uechi hojoundo. Not sure how much you know about the Uechi system, but this is very similar to movement you see in advanced aikido practitioners. Also, there's another classic Uechiryu movement that works well - that of grabbing one person and using them as a shield or projectile into one or more other opponents. Other skills that come into play include good rolling and recovery (to get back on your feet when you go down), and a "nasty", offense-oriented attitude. The more you preoccupy yourself with the fear of being surrounded and pounded on, the more likely it will happen. It's better to be a shark than a tuna.

As for going to the edges of the room, I find that interesting. In my little kids classes, I have them play tag inside the bounds of the dojo, and I teach them how to trap people up against walls who are faster than you. In my school, any wall dwellers might eventually end up as wall paper.

Also, unspoken allegiences tend to crop up, but then these same "allies" can betray you whenever.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 11-15-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”