Bill's Evil Twin - Come to the 'Dark Side'

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

To all readers of the Glasheen sensei forums: I believe that it is I who has led Bill down the dark path of edged weapons and, ahem, firearms.

When I first met Bill, weapons training meant kobudo, including the assorted Okinawan tools such as the tonfa, bo, flail etc. As he encouraged me to broaden my knowledge I took a turn to the right (with Raffi sensei's guidance) and added some edged weapons work to my martial arts. Van sensei's forum caused sufficient reflection on my part that I took the next step up the force ladder and began firearms training as well.

Now (J.D. - time to hide the children) I see Bill speaking of knives in this forum. Even a mention of a gun (albeit a wooden one). Question? Do I take blame or credit for encouraging Bill sensei to consider these other martial tools?

Opinions? Don't be shy.

Rich
Phils

Post by Phils »

If it's someone with above average intelligence, an adult, studies martial arts or professes skill, otherwise responsible, etc., etc., it's difficult to envision undo influence on your part.

[This message has been edited by Phils (edited 11-28-99).]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich

Actually...it was you who got me back into the batting cage. And it was Larry C. that got me on a surf board, and back on a skate board. Do I blame you and he for making me take up these heinous activities?

Yes, Rich, it was you who got me into pistol shooting. But I fired my first weapon in 1970. Unbeknownst to most, I was on the Exeter Rifle Team. However all I shot was a .22. Funny...there was a guy back then who lived across the hall from me who was quite the "hippie freak." I asked him why he was also on the rifle team. "Hey, man, I want to be ready when the revolution comes around!" Oh and by the way, Preston was no mindless flake. In spite of his ultra radical ways and decadent (I won't go there) lifestyle for a prep school kid, he scored perfect on the math and near perfect on English on his SATs. Boy did we have some characters at that school!

And did you know that I was once quite the pyro in my younger years? Hey, I needed to put all that good chemistry knowledge to some practical (fun) use... There were a few of us in my chemistry fraternity (alpha chi sigma) who were very fond of blowing things up. It helps when you have access to the right chemicals...

Actually, Rich, you are a bright person and you are the type of karate student I want - one that finds his own path and contributes to the general knowledge in the dojo. Through you I was able to meet two of the better weapons instructors you will ever want to meet: Raffi and Tom. We all know Raffi (from the forum) and our buddy Tom has both law enforcement experience as well as the ability that has led to tournament wins in pistol shooting. No intelligent martial artist worth his salt would ignore the opportunity to study with such talents.

- Bill

P.S. The real evil twin Bill actually is safely at rest these days. I used to be a lot wilder and less responsible than I am now. But...that twin was not me. Just an imposter. Yea, that's the ticket.
jajima

Post by jajima »

I'm a fraternity bother of Bill's and I've seen some of those pictures of Bill in his younger days. (Was hazing legal in the 70's?) There are some interesting captions. Those photos are safely locked in a closet in Charlotteville. But I'm sure for the right price..... Would anyone care to start the bidding? Make your checks payable to Alpha Chi SIgma - AK Chapter.

Wait a second. Bill is also my instructor. Forget everything you just read!

Rich,
You've gotten me going on exploring the force continuum. My kickboxing instructor is rated as a firearm instructor. He's talking about doing some tactical excercises with paintball guns and then doing some range work.
I'm also keeping up on my stick work. I'm thinking about buying an ASP collapsible baton for personal protection. ANy thoughts on this. I know this still counts as deadly force but I'm more comfortable going at someone with a stick rather than a knife. The range of the baton and my long arms means more stand off range for evasion and escape. (Did Raffi teach you any curved 'wotick' strikes yet?)

I learned a great ankle lock in jiu jitsu class. I think I can pull it off in seisan bunkai.

-Josh
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Josh

You could try posting pictures from that scrap book, but I'm afraid nobody would recognize me. It's not that I've aged that much (although my body often tells me otherwise). It's no mustache, and all that hair. And my hair had....character. When they wrote the song, they had people like me in mind. But of course my appearance had nothing to do with my behavior at the time. Yea....right!

Yes, there were some intersting shots in that scrap book. Did you know I held an office for 2 years in that fraternity? Do you know what it was?? That may explain some of the commentary.

Do tell what move you are talking about in seisan.

- Bill
jajima

Post by jajima »

Bill,

I know what office you had. I had the same office and was often chided for being too old school. I looked at the pictures of the real old days Image and just shook my head. Karate, fraternities is everybody going soft?

Disclaimer: I'm in the junior mousekeeter class at the school I'm cross-training in. "I just went from white to yellow!" So many of the concepts, I'm stealing by watching advanced students. I have the occasional, "Hey, that's sanchin arm position." The application was shown briefly in a different context and I'm trying to work it into Uechi.

Front Kick in Seisan Bunkai: Sanchin arm scoop with right arm. Left arm goes up to grab gi and block. (Normal bunkai application.)

Left arm extends, right hand comes over the top and braces against the shin. Charge straight forward in this position until the uke falls. (padded floors at the dojo) You should still have the leg trapped. Left arm goes under the leg and braces against the bicep. Elbow is tight to the body, big inhale, and look up and straight back.

The only problem is if they start rolling. To prevent this step on their left thigh to hold that leg down. (This is the part that I'm not sure about because you're on the outside of their body.)

I like this because you are left standing so there is less chance to be sucked into a ground fight.

The other application is a roundhouse kick to the ribs. They basically zone away and trap the leg against the side of the body. The arm goes over then under the leg, trapping the ankle in the crook of the elbow. Other arm goes straight and charge forward dumping the opponent. Free hand grabs your wrist to cinch the leglock. Inhale and look up and back. Again stepping on the opponents thigh to keep him from rolling. (More natural in this position.)

Another application that I was shown. Imagine a sparring match. Someone falls (or is dumped)away from their opponent. Their legs come up to fend away their opponent. Stalemate. The guy standing can't get around to trap the body. So the match is stopped and everyone stands back up and it keeps happening. (yes, I've been in this scenario before.) Now, instead of going for the body the guy on top goes for the leg trap. Steps forward and controls the bottom leg and then put on the ankle lock. All from the standing position. I also like this because it makes it harder for the guy to chase you afterwards.

-Josh
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Hi Josh. Good to see you on the forum.

The problem I have with the baton is acceptance. You can walk around almost anywhere with a nice folding knife in your pocket and attract no attention or trouble. The baton will get you in trouble if it is concealed, and may bring unwanted attention from a police officer if it is carried in the open. Yes, I'd rather fight with a stick or a baton because of lenght but carrying one is problematical.

Come visit someday.

Rich

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”