Jan '00 Black Belt Mag, Not bad...

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

david

Jan '00 Black Belt Mag, Not bad...

Post by david »

Most of you know I am not a big fan of Black Belt magazine, and/or I am too cheap to buy it. Having just perused the January 2000, there are several articles worth reading:

Gene "Judo" LaBelle. He is on the cover. I love this guy's attitude which is serious training but don't take oneself too seriously. What a great mug on this guy. They have an interview of him. BTW, I have his book, The Encyclopedia of Finishing Holds, for over a year now. So much material. He breaks up the technical stuff with his own cartoons, caricatures and silly mugs. Worth the $50.

Peyton Quinn's "Real Fighting" training approach is profiled. If you haven't read his books yet, the article will give you an overview of where he is coming from.

The Dog Brothers -- What are these guys about? Serious training for the streets that's what. Read their philosophy about training and what the semi annual pack gatherings are about. Not everyone wants to be bang it out in the center of the pack, "without rules, without ref's..." I know I don't. Still you got respect these guys for the consistency between their philosophy and training approach to the martial arts.

david

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”