Uechi Weights?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Ken Read

Uechi Weights?

Post by Ken Read »

Sensei Glasheen,

I'm new to this forum - new to the net in fact. Your comments in the "Hunchback Syndrome" thread moved me to register.

My question: Are you preparing a program of "Uechi Weight" training for us? I'm real interested.

Thanks
Bill Glasheen

Uechi Weights?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ken

Thanks for asking. Yes, I am indeed going to do a series of postings.

What was holding me back until now was looking for quality reference material that people could refer to. I'm shocked and dismayed at how much trash there is out there. The vast majority is for bodybuilding, and most of that is narcissistic crap. Very little is written about "weight training", an entirely different affair. And unfortunately when I looked at one of my old and inexpensive favorites - a book by Bill Reynolds - I realized in looking at the pictures that some of the technique in it was dated and potentially risky.

This past weekend I went to ANOTHER bookstore with my son (a family affair). I believe I finally stumbled on some good books that were recently published that I feel good about recommending. I will very shortly start posting. Stay tuned.

- Bill
David Elkins

Uechi Weights?

Post by David Elkins »

For real advice concerning resistance training for athletes you need look no further than the following:

Milo: a Journal for Serious Strength Athletes published by Iron Mind Enterprises available via subscription from www.ironmind.com.

Hard Training available via subscription from PO Box 19446, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219 tel#513/221-2600

Well, come to think of it, that raises an interesting question -- are we athletes? There are certainly those in the arts who would not even care to be identified as such. Athleticism implies competition, but I think much more.

What do you think?

------------------
David
Ken Read

Uechi Weights?

Post by Ken Read »

Thanks. I'm familiar with Milo magazine, and IronMind Enterprises, truly stand-out stuff in the field, but I will look up "Hard Training". My interest is in a particular Uechi approach to weight training. Certainly the movements we do are, in many cases, not too clearly related to the linear movements of standard weight training.

Of course, you can't beat your basic squat, deadlift, bench press for normal strength development, but is it possible to use resistance excercise to truly support the development of, say, a circular movement from the Uechi curriculum?

Maybe not, but it seems that resistance training has always been a significant part of Chinese and Okinawan martial training. Given that there are a lot of ways to train with weights, what's a good way for a Uechi student?
RickLiebespach

Uechi Weights?

Post by RickLiebespach »

Going down a slight rabbit trail...

What about isometrics? Jack LaLane promoted them for decades and look at all he was able to do. It would seem they would fit in well...even in the midst of kata.

Rick
student

Uechi Weights?

Post by student »

Bruce Lee liked isometrics, too.

The problem with isometrics is that they are isometric; they exercise the muscle only at one spot along its path of travel.

The solution may be to do isometrics in more than one position. KILL-AS-CATCH-CAN WRESTLING, a Loompanics book by Ned Beaumont, gives instructions on how to build an isometric exerciser (One so simple that even I could build it!) that can be used in many positions. I exercise my arms isometricly at waist, chest, and overhead positions at the end of my resistance workouts.

Merry Christmas to All!

student
David Elkins

Uechi Weights?

Post by David Elkins »

I recommend looking to our sister art of Goju-Ryu for what they call Hojo-Undo which is use of primative equipment for karate strengthening. A wonderful resource is Higaonna Sensei's video Power Training for Goju-Ryu available from Tsunami (Dragon Times folks)

Ken, I write for Milo and you may enjoy some of the things I've written. This edition has the second part of an article that I did with Dr. Ken Leistner and Sensei Rik Lostritto on the training stones of Uechi-Ryu.

In this article, Dr. Ken addresses specificity in sports training. This is a very hotly contested issue, but the bottom line is that you get as strong as possible by any means possible in the major muscle groups of the body and you spend a lot of time learning the motoric skills of your sport.

You don't need to look for an apparatus that simulates a Wa-Uke. Better to get strong as you can and do a lot of Wa-Uke's. Doing the two person Wa-Uke challenge doesn't hurt either -- not only for getting stronger but for increasing your tactile sensitivity to your opponents energy.

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
http://www.geocities.com/uechiryuwest/West1.html

[This message has been edited by David Elkins (edited 12-25-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”