"WOW!! now THIS is a great site."

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

student

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jubei Kibagami:
" I took TWD and Shotokan there back in '91 and 93."

-Jubei
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lost me with TWD, Justin. Did you mean to post TKD for Tae Kwon Do?

At any rate, your practice seems to be paying off.

Some of us can't kick even as high as our bellies....

student
student

Post by student »

Scott:

The short version is that most of the original TKD masters were schooled in Shotokan. The original meaing of Karate was "Chinese Hand," later changed to "Open Hand."

Cosmic co-incidence: Tang Soo Do and Kong Soo Do (the names for the forerunners of TKD) mean the same things, respectively! Moo Duk Kwan (the remaining TSD style) and Chung Do Kwan (Blue Wave School, my style - historically, the first of the TSD/KSD/TKD styles) have forms very derivative from Shotokan. General Choi, founder of ITF, was a Shotokan 2nd Dan and part of Chung Do Kwan for a time.

The enmity between the Koreans and Japanese is legendary, and their reluctance still to acknowledge how much of TKD came from Japan is very pronounced. But the evidence is there for those who care to look for it.

Hope that helps.

student
Jubei Kibagami

Post by Jubei Kibagami »

"Wow! That would actually be interesting to do some further research for all the facts. I have wanted to study more martial arts history anyway. Wow, martial arts history..sounds like that could be a course in college ;^p"

-Jubei
maurice richard libby

Post by maurice richard libby »

JUBEI,

You are most welcome. I'm not sure that's the actual name of the magazine. I read it at the library, though, so I'll check it out next time I go there, and I'll let you know the real dope.

later,

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Justin,

These are some Zen websites. CLICK HERE!

Maybe they will lead you to where you are trying to get to.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited January 15, 2000).]
maurice richard libby

Jubei,

try to find the latest issue of The Tae Kwan Do Times (I think that's the name) a TKD magazine. There is a long interview with General Choi wherein he talks about his own history and the founding of TKD.

By the way, there are people who have done their Thesis on MA history.

yours,
maurice

p.s. I like your site. Nice kicks.

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Jubei Kibagami

Post by Jubei Kibagami »

"TKD Times? I haven't seen that one yet..is that a popular magazine? I'll have to pay a visit to the bookstore. BTW, does anyone here study Taoism, Zen, or other topics such as that? I have been searching for good internet sites, especially on Taoism...oh well, just another thought. (Oh, and thanks for the good comments Maurice! I always appreciate them.)"

-Jubei

------------------
[Jubei's Martial Arts Page] http://www.mindspring.com/~justin.king/martial-arts
maurice richard libby

Jubei,

The magazine was in fact The Tae Kwon Do Times, the january edition. They have a web site at www.taekwondotimes.com . There you can see the cover with General Choi's picture.

take care,
maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”