"the Look"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

"the Look"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Exactamundo!

There's an episode of Happy Days where Fonzie is trying to teach Richie Cunningham how to intimidate some near-do-wells. Fonzie teaches the technique one step at a time, and Richie then goes out and does it to these bad guys. Towards the end of the program, Fonzie gives his last - and most critical - lesson. "There's one last important issue here, Richie. One time...one time...you had to have hit someone." Richie is not amused, given the situation he is now in.

As karate instructors, we all are engaged in daily demonstrations of techniques. Enough of them make a point that future demonstrations are often highly successful, sometimes beyond their deserved response.

My sister started her Danes as puppies, where she would make a big deal about a few chosen "events." She would roll the puppies on their backs - something that is the ultimate act of subjugation for a dog. As adults, the 200 pound Danes remembered... All she needed was The Look.

Anyone who has seen Rich Mooney knows of his considerable size. That's enough to make you believe there might be something behind The Look. In Rich's case, it was a posture that was highly suggestive. Take a look at the MPEGs yourself. When I first met him at camp, his size was the very first impression that came to me. I can understand his ability to make others do as they wish under the right circumstances.

But size isn't everything. Some time go take a look at a picture of the diminutive Shinjo Seiyu. If looks could kill.... He understood the glare in the eye.

And so did my mother (god rest her wonderful soul). And yes, she would back it up when I was a younger lad. We had the worn leather belts to prove it. Thanks to her, I walked a reasonably straight path.

- Bill
student

"the Look"

Post by student »

Sigh. I see The Editor is on coffee break...spinning his thermos....
RACastanet

"the Look"

Post by RACastanet »

Yes, my ever growing 16 year old son (6'3"+) knows the "look" well. It has yet to fail me as he is well aware that behind the look is the #1 Bull who is not yet ready to relinquish control of the herd.

And yes, he knows that I may be carrying that metal thermos (it is a bi*ch to conceal). And JD, it is GREEN!

Rich
Kevin Mackie

"the Look"

Post by Kevin Mackie »

paul giella

"the Look"

Post by paul giella »

along these lines... I recall an article about how elephants are trained. Baby elephants are big by our usual standards, 600 pounds or more. They rope them with a heavy rope to a post set deep in the ground. The elephants pull and tug and sometimes even loosen the post from the ground! As they get older, and more "socialized" (trained) they stop pulling. Eventually, the mahoot (trainer) can control them with a light rope and a verbal command... even though they now weigh, as adults, thousands of pounds. They have, as we say, "internalized" the limits and the rules.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”